Paint Calipers Red???

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnny... you have some good ideas. I like the gold even better now with your latest picture. Thanks to you and all who are helping. :)

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George if you are going to use the stock 10 spokes, they cover up quite a bit of the brakes, and you'll need something bright to show up. I know red is played out and stock on every year except ours, but it looks the classiest to me.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George if you are going to use the stock 10 spokes, they cover up quite a bit of the brakes, and you'll need something bright to show up. I know red is played out and stock on every year except ours, but it looks the classiest to me.

You are absolutely right about them covering up the brakes. Yes, I need something that will be bright. I will probably go with the red unless something comes up that looks interesting. Thanks. I was just on eBay and am looking at that exchange that was discussed earlier in the thread. Sounds interesting.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I get home I'll post some pics of my setup for you. They are brighter than the factory red, and the Viper logos are a tad larger and white instead of silver...again, showing up better.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These seem to be the best ones I have

You must be registered for see images attach

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to sound like a broken record, but $300 is cheap to change up the look dramatically...especially with those big open spokes you have.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on R&J for powdercoating. Off topic but how big are the SRT rear brakes rotors? 13 inch or 14 inch?

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always wondered why you don't paint them the same color as your car or black(so they don't stick out like a sore thumb)
I saw a car same color as mine (steel gray)calipers painted bright red
really stuck out, I thought they look pretty good, My wife saw the car(I was actually showing her the wheels) & that bright red kinda stood out over everything else, but she asked me what they were & why they were painted bright red when the car was grey. So again WHY do most guys (or gals) want them to stick out. I was just wondering because today I'm putting new wheels & tires on, so I guess if I was gonna paint them, this would be the time to do it (mine are black, so they pretty much blend in & I guess thats the color they'll stay).

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it's just personal preference. Stock calipers on most cars don't deserve to shown off. I had black calipers on my car previously but decided red would really look sharp behind these wheels...in black, they just disappear, which sounds like your preference.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Powdercoat them.... :2tu:

georgethedog have you thought about a light graphite gray? i think that would be a great option on a silver car

I always wondered why you don't paint them the same color as your car or black(so they don't stick out like a sore thumb)
I saw a car same color as mine (steel gray)calipers painted bright red
really stuck out, I thought they look pretty good, My wife saw the car(I was actually showing her the wheels) & that bright red kinda stood out over everything else, but she asked me what they were & why they were painted bright red when the car was grey. So again WHY do most guys (or gals) want them to stick out. I was just wondering because today I'm putting new wheels & tires on, so I guess if I was gonna paint them, this would be the time to do it (mine are black, so they pretty much blend in & I guess thats the color they'll stay).

I agree....

IMHO....
Bright, offsetting colors draw attention to the caliper and not the wheel or car... :dunno:

Last edited:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it's just personal preference. Stock calipers on most cars don't deserve to shown off. I had black calipers on my car previously but decided red would really look sharp behind these wheels...in black, they just disappear, which sounds like your preference.

Hank, I guess mine are just stock cause they're black & like you say disappear(why doesn't more guys paint them the color of their car though). What kind of upgrade would I have to do to get those Big Ole Calipers. Do they make that much of a difference for a DD. Car being steel gray, I just don't know if I would want those big monster red ones. I seen them on another car (same color) looked really good but really stuck out, he also had the HRE wheels which I think look awesome with the bigger calipers. I guess because they do expose so much.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree....

IMHO....
Bright, offsetting colors draw attention to the caliper and not the wheel or car... :dunno:

Treesnake, I guess thats what I was tryin to say. I was just looking thru my wife's perspective, she just saw the car & over anything else the big red calipers is what she saw. I guess I have mixed feeling, cause I like them to I just didn't understand why more people didn't paint to match car. I like yours by the way.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hank, I guess mine are just stock cause they're black & like you say disappear(why doesn't more guys paint them the color of their car though). What kind of upgrade would I have to do to get those Big Ole Calipers. Do they make that much of a difference for a DD. Car being steel gray, I just don't know if I would want those big monster red ones. I seen them on another car (same color) looked really good but really stuck out, he also had the HRE wheels which I think look awesome with the bigger calipers. I guess because they do expose so much.

Fair enough, but realize those pictures were taken to show off the calipers, not the whole car. Do the calipers take away from the overall look in these pics?

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough, but realize those pictures were taken to show off the calipers, not the whole car. Do the calipers take away from the overall look in these pics?

Hank, NOoooooo not at all, That looks Awesome & their red. Why is that, does the color of the car have alot to do with it. Cause on some of the cars it does(stick out like a sore thumb) & on that one it definitely doesn't.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hank, the car looks great and no it does not take away from the car. The car looks so good that I had to direct my eyes to the brakes. Did you lower it or does it look that way due to the shadows? Great pic. I want to see the engine!!!:) Ever think about chrome roll bars? That would look great IMHO as it would tie the bottom of the car to the top (wheels to the bars). I bet someone could Photoshop what it would look like and you may be surprised. I'd need a roll-cage in a supercharged Viper...

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hank, the car looks great and no it does not take away from the car. The car looks so good that I had to direct my eyes to the brakes. Did you lower it or does it look that way due to the shadows? Great pic. I want to see the engine!!!:) Ever think about chrome roll bars? That would look great IMHO as it would tie the bottom of the car to the top (wheels to the bars). I bet someone could Photoshop what it would look like and you may be surprised. I'd need a roll-cage in a supercharged Viper...

I don't mean to pic-******* up your brake caliper thread:lmao:

The car is slammed with Vipair adjustable coilovers in those pictures. I have thought about the chrome roll bars, but what I've really thought about is doing a real roll bar certified for the track, and putting some beefier race 18/19 wheels/tires on it, and make it look more like a street machine. But, I've got too much invested in this setup to change that dramaticaly.

For the record, I love the way the OE rollbars blend in with the car, and don't stand out...unlike the calipers:rolaugh: Here is a quick engine bay picture, and honestly, it's my last pic in YOUR thread! Car is for sale too btw...

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great engine!!! Man, I wish I could afford it. I would love to have a supercharged Viper. That thing must fly. Thanks for the picture. The chrome wheels on my 03 look so good with the silver that I thought that chrome roll bars would look great two and provide some roll-over protection.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My suggestion for the calipers would be to do them in either silver, red, or SSG. Not necessarily in that order.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone photoshop some SSG calipers on a silver SRT? With six spokes, my calipers are really visible. Curious how that would look.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check my thread "Photoshop Help" and you will see a picture of a silver SRT with SSG calipers. Looks pretty good! Thanks Austin.