Paint on side sills starting to crack and peel.....

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have only had my Viper for about three weeks now and put about 250 miles on it. By far my favorite ride so far. I noticed the first time I drove it, only about 10 miles, that the drivers side sill was cracking underneath and peeling a bit. Thing is I didn't hit anything and no sign of rocks hitting it. It's a pretty large area about 12 inches back from the front of the sill which I would say is at least a dozen fine cracks. Three of the spots are peeling and one has grown to about a nickle size. Passenger side it perfectly fine. What I am thinking is that the previous owner installed his own Borla cat-back and something may be hitting or rattling when I drive it and it heats up. I know the previous owner really babied it's 7k miles so possibly he never drove it the way I do so it didn't reach those temps or RPM's.

It doesn't bother me as I can just have it re-painted but I don't want to have to paint and paint over again if this is a common issue.

Any thoughts or past history of this?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you said you have a borla cat back, do you know if you have the stock cats :dunno:

you are describing the location of the stock cats, that get, as you probably know, very very hot

OP
OP
G

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds odd, do you have a picture ?

was the sill freshly painted when you got it ?

No it wasn't freshly painted as it has a few rock chips and a small scratch else where. I can get a pic later on today or tomorrow morning. I am sitting in Jury Duty right now surfing the forum....:headbang:

you said you have a borla cat back, do you know if you have the stock cats :dunno:

you are describing the location of the stock cats, that get, as you probably know, very very hot

Yes, stock cats are still on and it does get hot in that area. I plan to remove them soon when I get my buddy to sell me his full set up.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Betting it could be the stock cats getting hot. If they are still in place, cut them out. SOunds much nicer and gian about 10HP :2tu:

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a really, really cheap solution, split the cats across the center seam, remove the guts, reweld back together using same pipe. Cost equals time and welding supplies. They are stainless. FYI

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte