Paint Scheme Opinions?

PovertyPony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New owner of a 94 RT/10. Great car- but it's got a rather unique airbrush job on the front, complete with fangs and scales. It's a quality job, just not my taste. I'm curious if it's the sort of thing that other owners might really enjoy that might warrant selling/trading it for one that's a little more my style, or if I should just jump headlong into the repaint. For reference I'd like to see it back to original black, with the addition of silver stripes. I'd be curious if GTS style stripes on an RT/10 or color matched valve covers are a faux pas too.

Hopefully this is the correct location- I didn't see a picture/media section. Mods feel free to move as you see fit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Peter Kater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
Quite an "interesting" thing you got there!
In my opinion, it is so deep into "personalisation territory" that you might find someone already tomorrow or just wait for the next 715 years to find a new owner...
If you really like the car (mileage, handling, possible mods apart from airbrush "Olympic Title", and above all its general condition!) then I would tell you : look no further and just go YOUR WAY on what you think is the best.
After all, this is your car and it needs to reflect your taste.
By the way, black with silver stripes?
It's just so badass! Just like the car in fact.
I'm in love with Shelby Cobras (remote cousin of Vipers, right?) and I might acquire one (continuation model) with the same color scheme you mentioned.
Just so classically brutal and on point for such cars.
Go! Go and do it buddy!

Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check if the airbrushing is on top of the clearcoat...if not, the airbrushing was done over the car's original clearcoat with a new clear applied. That said the airbrush paint is between these two clearcoats, the top being most likely very thin just to keep the paint protected. Bring the car to a good detail or custom paint shop. They can measure the thickness of the paint and remove the top clearcoat and then the airbrush will be very easy to remove. They will probably wet sand it down to do this.

OP
OP
P

PovertyPony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion, it is so deep into "personalisation territory" that you might find someone already tomorrow or just wait for the next 715 years to find a new owner...
That's what I was testing the waters on- seeing if anyone out there just might like that kind of thing. I've certainly seen much gaudier at car shows (Corvette owners being some of the worst offenders.) It does put it in perspective I could be waiting a very long time to find someone looking for just that kind of style.
If you really like the car (mileage, handling, possible mods apart from airbrush "Olympic Title", and above all its general condition!) then I would tell you : look no further and just go YOUR WAY on what you think is the best.
After all, this is your car and it needs to reflect your taste.
That is part of the reason I went with this one- it's got to be the cleanest of the dozen or more I checked out.
Of course, for once I'm trying to resist the urge to modify it to my own tastes too much. That tends to get out of hand...
Check if the airbrushing is on top of the clearcoat...if not, the airbrushing was done over the car's original clearcoat with a new clear applied. That said the airbrush paint is between these two clearcoats, the top being most likely very thin just to keep the paint protected. Bring the car to a good detail or custom paint shop. They can measure the thickness of the paint and remove the top clearcoat and then the airbrush will be very easy to remove. They will probably wet sand it down to do this.
Well if the previous owner is to be believed, he said they put three gallons of clear over it. Enough that it removed the texture of the airbrushed scales without sanding. Pretty wild if true- I don't think I've used more than two gallons on a whole car, let alone just a hood and bumper. If it was only a couple coats I probably would have sanded it off and re-cleared it myself already.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Another option you might have would be to just wrap the car instead of a full repaint. Might be easier to cover the custom work that way and less involved to "remove" it. I understand a wrap isn't necessarily quite the same as real paint, but it could be one way to get there and still keep the unique paint for someone down the road.

OP
OP
P

PovertyPony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another option you might have would be to just wrap the car instead of a full repaint. Might be easier to cover the custom work that way and less involved to "remove" it. I understand a wrap isn't necessarily quite the same as real paint, but it could be one way to get there and still keep the unique paint for someone down the road.
I had thought about that, but wraps or dip just don't look very good, especially on a car like this. Not to mention a good wrap costs just as much if not more as a paint job.