Paint Stain/Fade by door handles/Melting Weather strips

g3173

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Okay just came back from AJ AutoDetailing (Best in Town) here in San Jose and it was brought to my attention that on the passenger side right by the door handle that there was a quarter size paint fade or stain :mad: Has anyone else noticed any kind of paint fade or stain?

These guys are awesome and work on high end cars so I trust that it wasn't anything they did. My car sits at home in a temp controlled garage and is dusted every day after use(CA duster is a must for black cars)!

They mentioned that the overall paint job on the Viper is very good but they did notice that the paint was thinner near the windows and door handles. Man this really makes my hair stand because I am super anal about my cars, especially my Black SRT-10! I also noticed that the weather stripping near the door jam was melting too!

Any ideas on what I can do? I guess I can have the whole door painted to fix the fade but what about the weather stripping?

Thanks,
Gene

TimCottingham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Gene..
The last wax I put on my red SRT-10 the paint felt like it had been sand blasted. Closer inspection and I could see where it looked like the paint was cracking... It turns out that the lime concentration in the water (Round Rock, Texas) caused this effect. I had to use McGuire's boat cleaner / polish to remove it. Are you sure the stripping is melting? The black glue that holds my stripping on is "blowing" out from behind the stripping - what a mess. I just apply wax to it and it comes off easily.

OP
OP
G

g3173

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Gene..
The last wax I put on my red SRT-10 the paint felt like it had been sand blasted. Closer inspection and I could see where it looked like the paint was cracking... It turns out that the lime concentration in the water (Round Rock, Texas) caused this effect. I had to use McGuire's boat cleaner / polish to remove it. Are you sure the stripping is melting? The black glue that holds my stripping on is "blowing" out from behind the stripping - what a mess. I just apply wax to it and it comes off easily.

I don't think it's the water because the water they use goes through a very good filtration process. I'll check closer on the weather stripping. It might just be the glue. It's is very messy and extremly sticky! So that might just be it :crazy: I'll try and take photos of the fade tomorrow.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the adhesive. 3M adhesive remover works well to get it off. Apparently so does wax, per a previous post, but I've not tried that.