Enthusiast
Reaction score
Painted cowl and matching non-functional roof scoop:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great silver (chrome) vents add a nice touch. How did you do it or did you buy an after market cowl w/ the vents added? I think I would like something like that in carbon fiber w/ the vents.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RX
Looks great, hard to believe I am looking at a 96 yr. You must really take care of your Viper. The photo's looks like a showroom new Viper. The wing makes the Viper stand out that much more even though it did not need the help.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RX, I'm buying whatever wax you are using! Zaino? I hope so as I just bought literally everything they sell. Looks friggin brand new.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a painted cowl like this before, same colors on a 96-97 GTS, without the vents. Is yours metal or plastic?
Looks great! Adds a nice touch to that area of the Viper on the lighter colors.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
HISTORY: The concept GTSs and the 2 Pace Cars had a painted / striped cowl.

CAAP decided the production alignment issues were too difficult so the cowl stayed bare plastic in production cars! And striped licence plate nacelle went away in 97 for the same reason.

COMMERCIAL: PartsRack offers that painted / vented cowl in OE colors, as well as Carbon-Look film. Vents underhood heat effectively, even when stopped. "Under $275" painted ! A very nice addition......

OP
OP
R

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's right JonB my blue/wht brother! Great price on the cowl if I say so myself.

Mine is plastic with the aluminum vents.

Gerald- You can't go wrong with Zaino. I've used it on my 1st two Vipers, but not this one.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now that is nice! I wonder if you could take a picture of it with the hood up? I am guessing it stands out more with the clam raised. It should bring some blue into the engine bay, which I really want.

Did you get the painted cowl from John? If so how did the paint match up? I just got a new rocker panel from Check Tator and he said there are 2-3 different shades of 96-97 blue. This has me worried about buying something and hoping it matches.

OP
OP
R

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BLUE-GTS: The cowl is from Autoform. The paint match is not perfect, but close enough that you have to look twice to see it.

looking4asnake: No finish secret or special sauce. I'll start the Zaino on this one too, just haven't done it yet.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
michael,
The car looks incredible !!! I like all of the ricer additions, even the clear lens. Did Jerry send you the cowl and the vent pre-painted ? Does the roof vent bolt on or glue on ? We need to hook up so I can see your additions in person...oh, and drink a nice cold beer too.
Later,
Joe

OP
OP
R

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cowl is put on by 4 screws. 2 on the side near the door and 2 just inside each wiper base. Scoop looks like it was a glue on. I would say matching up the stripes would have been the hard part on the install.

Joe, I'll take you up on the cold one.. or two. I was on S.Kingshighway today in the family truckster. I thought of you when I drove past King. I didn't know Rigazzi's was closed on Sunday for lunch. :confused: I had my mind on a fishbowl of beer and some good pasta.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures! It looks great. I need to add this to my list as it really dresses the engine bay up quite a bit.

The paint match has me worried but it might be better to get an off color versus miss-aligned stripes.

LarryJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB, Do you have a pic of the carbon-look one?

Which do you think would look better on a silver car, painted or carbon, with vents?

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think carbon would add a very nice touch to the silver. If you have other carbon pieces on the car, it'll pull it together real nice. But even if you don't, I think it'll look good.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cowl is put on by 4 screws. 2 on the side near the door and 2 just inside each wiper base.

Is that using existing screws?
And the CF might be best for the silver car as if it is off even by a gnats rear it might stick out like a core thumb. don't thing silver is as forgiving as the darker colors. JMHO
Cheers

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...the car looks great, buddy. Details make the difference. Hey...tomorrow's my birthday (don't ask...it's a BIG one)...let's get together soon. I've been hearing about your water leakage problems and...maybe I can lend some help? OH! I have to brag a little here. Dyno day--my bone stock 2000 RT/10 pumped out 410.4 RWHP. They tell me that's about the most anyone's ever seen, and on a reputable dyno at that *proud look*. I'm also told it should go up 10-15 more when it has a few more miles on it. It's still young & tight *ahem* Then...let the mods begin! Stay in touch & give the baby in the oven a little pat for me.

RLC

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my painted cowl from PartsRack and installed it in 20 minutes. Best cosmetic mod out there for under 275 bucks. Paint match is good (blue), now I got to add my own stripes. Highly recommend if it fits your taste.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They come either way but with stripes there's no guarantee that they will line up with yours on the car. Reference Jon's comments above. Also not worth the additional cost, it's only about two inches of white showing and I'm considering leaving mine without. Looks good that way too. If you decide to do your own, you can get the correct white paint at Pep Boys in a spray can. Also, the vents come in different colors, I went with the brushed aluminum for a nice contrast.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't hear the venting and mine did not come with the weather stripping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang