Painted my rims finally!

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had started a thread a little while ago about me putting black stripes on my car. And some suggested it would be awesome I the rims where black. Which I planned to get the powder coated anyways. Well I didn't get them powder coated yet due to money ia tight now. But till then I figured that ineould go ahead and clean, sand, prime, and paint my rims for the time being. Which turned out fantastic in my opinion! But here is the finished product. Also managed to save my painted logos on my caps too so at least the rim is not totally blacked out.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks! Took three days. But might have to light sand and clear the passenger side do to some little run in the paint. Will probably wait a week or so for paint to totally cure and set. But other than that, it makes the me want to definatley keep my first gen rims. I still plan to get another set eventually. And probably use these for future track events.

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually I used duplicolor's black caliper paint. Which is helps reduce brake dust and easy to clean too. So at least that should help a little! Lol I hated after just one day of driving around my front rims would be caked with brake dust! I wouldn't mattered whether washed the car or not. I hate brake dust. I haven't changed the pads on it yet since I got it. But when I do I am going with something better than the stock pads I think whomever had installef on the car before got it. I mean it's bad! I started to think how in the world is there even a pad left! Lol
I do want to either paint or put an overlay over the RT/10 writing on my calipers. I think it would look awesome red. Might try to do it in vinyl. And put it over the white letting. Not sure yet. Then it will look right to me

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They look good. Most folks didn't like original Viper wheels but that looks good. Some owners get them polished which also looks good IMO.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nicely done! I happen to like red Vipers with black wheels and also good compliment to the black stripes. Are the stripes paint or tape? Any pictures of the stripes, maybe front/back view?

Thanks.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nicely done! :2tu:

I happen to like red Vipers with black wheels and also good compliment to the black stripes. Are the stripes paint or tape? Any pictures of the stripes, maybe front/back view?

Thanks.

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My photography skills ****? Well sorry that I am just using a iphone 3gs with a crappy camera. But other than quality I think the angles are exceptional. And at least I can get a picture or video posted faster than most! lol Though I do wish I had a DLR or nice 12mega pixel or higher camera. Or even a canon rebel would be nice. Maybe then I would have MAGAZINE quality pics.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I'm no better of a photographer, but the washout is a white balance thing. Or a try at a different time of day when the sun is different kind of thing. It has nothing to do with your exceptional angle :lmao:

I'm not dissing your car man. But the pictures are lousy.

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey, I'm no better of a photographer, but the washout is a white balance thing. Or a try at a different time of day when the sun is different kind of thing. It has nothing to do with your exceptional angle :lmao:

I'm not dissing your car man. But the pictures are lousy.

LOL I will try your suggestions. Hopefully I will get a better response. My goal now is to get a better pic for you. lol :2tu:

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only thing you need now is a Mopar wing on the back. :D :D

Looks great :2tu:

Are you messing with me or serious? I just checking, cause I really wanted one and said I was going to get one and someone dogged me out. lol IMO I like the MOPAR wing. And it would be cool on my car... all black! LMAO just kidding. Red with black stripes.. yeah!
I had been toying the idea of painting my exhaust covers black rather than red. Which I mentioned this in a previous post. But what if it was mostly black, but the pipe portion was red? LIke a negative of what is is now? Maybe I will photoshop it and see what it will look like. SOmeone did recommend to that if I did that I need to black the front fascia and the rear bumper portion. I think. But if I did that I would have to negative the stripes and that would look too tacky. Just trying to make it even out. And really don't see the issue with the cover being black.:dunno:

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some night shots that I did while waiting for a buddy to come check out my car while checking out his Skyline R34. And today I finished my front calipers . I did some vinyl overlays for the "R/T 10" on the calipers in red. So it will match my car. Didn't like that they were white. But also didn't want to paint over them. I wanted to keep them original so just put the decAls over the lettering. Which actually turned out awesome!

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice. How about a thin painted red pinstripe around the rim? As for the brake dust.... I know what you mean!:mad:

I'm one of the few that actually like the Gen1 wheels. If you get too fancy of wheels.... it takes away from the car. I think the Gen1 wheels offer a nice balance with the car. The black looks great.:2tu:

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
lmao! awww you don't like the eyelids? I got tired of my car looking like a bug! lol Besides, they might just adopt the same idea on the 2012 Viper!1 LMAO you never know! :)

Last edited:

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO you could have left the brake dust build up for the same look, then when you realized the car looked to gloomy you could wash it off.

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well my buddy with the same year model viper saw what I did and demanded me to go ahead and give him my front set of rims to start powder coating. Lmao. I only had this paint job two weeks! But better late then never I say! So he took my front set and almost two weeks he justgot done with it today. And man... What a night and day difference!! He powder coated them glossy black. And also took my rears today to have the stripped and powder coated. But will share you all the current pics of the front. He also did all my center caps too. And they look awesome! While i wait for the rears to be done I probably will be painting the logo back to red. To at least give it some contrast. So here are the fronts fully done! Also to compare the difference. I have included pics of before and after. The first shot will be when I just finished the driver side and the second is after it had been totally stripped to bare metal and them powder coated!

Duplicolor Caliper paint job:

Brian's powder coating job:

aacrewchief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some night shots that I did while waiting for a buddy to come check out my car while checking out his Skyline R34. And today I finished my front calipers . I did some vinyl overlays for the "R/T 10" on the calipers in red. So it will match my car. Didn't like that they were white. But also didn't want to paint over them. I wanted to keep them original so just put the decAls over the lettering. Which actually turned out awesome!
QUOTE]

How did you do the vinyl overlay lettering on your brake calipers? What material did you use and where did you purchase it from? I would like to change the looks of mine :2tu:

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man, I just used some scrap red vinyl. Did a trace of the "R/T 10" off the calipers and cut them out. Sprayed adhesive on the back of the cut pieces. But when put them reverse o the back of the vinyl do when I cut them
Out they where normal. The used water to center them. Then let the vinyl set! I did recently finish repainted the viper logos in the center caps seeming they were also power coated. Looks great!

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well got all my rims back and tires mount. From powder coating! Look way better than my previous paint job! Take a look!

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man...I hate to say it, but I'm not feeling much of any of it.

I will say the centercaps did turn out great though...really clean

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The reason the rear is jacked is I hadn't didn't drive it after putting the rear rims back on so the suspension can come down from being jacked up. I didn't realize that until after taking the pics. It's back at it's original height now. I should have taken it around the block first then take the pics! Lol my bad!