Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removed my intake and stripped it down.

You must be registered for see images

Removed valve covers and stripped.

You must be registered for see images attach

Trusty paint stripper.

Coat the valve cover liberally and let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes.

Start scraping.

Work smart, not hard. If any powder coat is still stuck to the covers, apply another coat of stripper and let it sit. This will be what you're left with.

For me, I want to get some special decals made for the valve covers, so I opted to shave the lettering and logo off.

Clean clean and CLEAN the valve covers. When you think you're done, CLEAN them more! I used some etching primer, then some high build over top.

You must be registered for see images

The intake coating is VERY durable, and does not remove easily, so I chose to leave it on and "scuff" it up good with a red 3M scotch pad. I did put a dab of paint stripper on the bottom side of the intake, but it took a LONG time to lift the powder coat, and the texture of the intake was just as rough as the powder coat. Be sure to clean Clean CLEAN it good as well.

I ended up using some fisheye eliminator after having some problems painting the intake ribs black. After that, I didn't have any issues. Once the ribs were painted black, I taped up the holes and ribs.

Got a good base coat of white put down. (best for yellow since it doesn't cover worth crap) The engine stand works awesome for letting me rotate and paint the intake.

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 coats of yellow.

Pulled the tape from the intake ribs so I can clear everything.

Everything cleared.

Now I'm just waiting on some Vinyl stickers. Just trying to decide if I want to clear over the stickers after I apply them to the valve covers or just leave them on top.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks nice! The paint looks like it has a very nice gloss to it. What sort of sprayer did you use?

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have the time to do something like this, but I may hire it out. About how many hours do you have into this project and approximate cost for materals? Looks really good.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work. Hope its durable as its a really nice look. Send some pix when its all back together!

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still not completely back together, I want to get some allen head bolts for the valve covers as I found the socket was a tight fit against the valve cover when removing/installing bolts. I also sprayed the throttle bodies black too.

I decided to sand the valve covers down, apply the decals, and then clear them again. The paint looks REALLY deep now, and the decals are protected.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NICE!!!! How long did it take to scrape off the valve covers? I've already got Gen 3 covers going on my Gen 2, just haven't gotten around to working on them. Everything turned out great!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That came out great, love the black contrast on the yellow and also the nice shine to the paint!

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks!

It didn't take much time to scrape the valve covers, the key is letting the paint stripper do all the work. Probably took 3 hours total, but only 30 min of scrapping.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks awesome, thanks for taking the time to post, I will do mine according to your directions, THANK YOU!!! A+++

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still not completely back together, I want to get some allen head bolts for the valve covers as I found the socket was a tight fit against the valve cover when removing/installing bolts. I also sprayed the throttle bodies black too.

I decided to sand the valve covers down, apply the decals, and then clear them again. The paint looks REALLY deep now, and the decals are protected.

The extra clear definitely makes it look deeper. Very nice indeed.

gtssnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quickl question for you AndyMac, what process or *** color do you think is the best to print to match a 2006 Viper blue??

Your work is incredible. Great job!!
Thanks,

Last edited:

flatblack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. I was already considering paint matching my cover and inake. This deffinately helps me out on this. Thanks for the pics, and it looks great!

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got some miles on the painted parts and so far, so good. I switched my water/**** lines from yellow to black, and moved my throttle cables to the right a little so they aren't covering the text when you look in the engine bay.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456