Painting stripes on GTS (pics)

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: suggestions on stripe COLOR...?

I say stick with something with fleck in it, preferably silver. That's one of the things I love about my new car vs the old; the red...no matter HOW many coats of wax were on it, would show fine scratches and swirl marks. The silver/blue has the metallic fleck in it and hides small blemishes a lot better.

That said, if you go with racing stripes I like the look of the 1996-spec stripes vs the 1997+. The wider stripes look better IMO and I would have never noticed had I not parked next to a friend with a 1996. I'd look at both setups before deciding.

Lastly, Photoshopping up a driver's stripe wouldn't be a bad idea. I think those look badass and it'd be a little bit different than the norm.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: suggestions on stripe COLOR...?

thanks for all the suggestions! I decided to go with silver metallic stripes and paint them on, gonna go 'skunk' all the way through the license plate area, 8" stripes, 4" in between, clear coated.

my paint guy just emailed me pics, always scary to see something 'in progress' but hey I have seen his finished work and I am excited!!!!

paint.jpg

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

Last edited:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excellent choice on color! You're right...those "in-progress" pics are scary. Better your car than mine :D

When will the bad b*tch be done? I wanna see more!

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got more pics! the last one you can really see the silver, I love it!

paint4.jpg

paint5.jpg

paint6.jpg

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the last couple of steps he clear coats everything tonight, then will buff tomorrow.

I can't wait to see it, will be like having a new Viper!

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice color combo. It really is a stunning combo in person. I've thought about doing this same thing to my RT/10 but I think I will still keep it stock for now. Congrads!!!

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys! I really wanted to pick a color that I LIKED, but also one that other people would consider a good combination with the sapphire blue.

since I track my car I think the paint will be easier to maintain vs the vinyl tape, for me anyway:) hopefully I'll be able to get the clearbra put on it this winter.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you decide to stick with the standard stripe layout. Those dubba' wides just look ghetto.

Actually I was thinking about doing a 10" stripe not a 'dubba wide' :lmao:, but yes I am very glad I stuck with 8"!!!

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Going through the NACA duct and down the license plate area looks best. EXCELLENT choice...can't wait to see pics!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow lESLIE, make me wanna go out and sit/start my Viper! :)

Just spent the weekend in Langley doing car show of 1500 cars. Sat night got to join in the burnout madness. Took my 440 Duster though. Lot os tickets handed out and none for Ted.

Your pics make me miss my Viper though. Looking good Leslie.

Next week you'll have to use a tripod and get pics of you in your racing suit beside your car???

Vroom
Ted

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted I am glad my stripes motivated you haha!

Wow is all I can say-if you are on the fence about striping your Viper...just DO IT. I feel like I have a new car! Nose needs to be repainted big time but we decided to make that a winter project since I have 4 more track wknds before snow hits haha..

front7.JPG

angle_shot.JPG

plates.JPG

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow thanks I was scrambling around the night I took the car over to be painted and was printing off pictures of Vipers from here. I had a hard time finding pics of the rear, guess not many people want their plates showing..? not sure but the few I found had the stripes STOP then start again after the license plate area.

we were like should we? shouldn't we? hahahaa I saw so many posts where people said 'go all the way', so I did:)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful on your first laps with those new stripes. You might find yourself subconsciously following that new road map on your hood instead of making the turn at the end of that high speed straight !!

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh that's a good question, wonder if I can mark my apex entrance and exit points using the stripes hahaaa

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need to update your avatar now :smirk:

x2 :D

Also...do the stripes not go all the way down the bumper on the newer cars? My 1998 has them all the way down past the exhaust. Is that another variation by year, or is that something you wanted custom, Leslie?

As badass as that looks in these photos, I bet in person it blows you away :) Congrats!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the pics Leslie.

Not sure of the license plate through stripe yet though. I'll wait until I( get used to it.

Remember, if your car is like Dave and Mopar Boy's then it'll be 10mph faster going into the corners now that it has the silver stripes on it so be extra careful.

New fastet color is Sapphire Blue/Silver!!!

Ted

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
x2 :D

Also...do the stripes not go all the way down the bumper on the newer cars? My 1998 has them all the way down past the exhaust. Is that another variation by year, or is that something you wanted custom, Leslie?

As badass as that looks in these photos, I bet in person it blows you away :) Congrats!

yeh I really wanted the stripe to start and finish as close to the ground as possible:lmao:I just took what was stock and did a slight modification to my own taste.

Heck, I track my car, it has 50K miles on it, and I am having a blast so why stop haha!