Painting the Viper Decals

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anybody everpainted their side decals. I want to match the SSG color as the decals on the rear bumper are color matched and I like this subtle look! I want to paint my silver decals to SSG. I have a spare set to do this with.
Thanks for any advise you may have!

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I plan on doing that too. I'm going with flat or satin black, against reflective black to match my flat black stripes.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I replied to this thread once...

I am having mine painted black with a shot of pearl red to match my soon-to-be different stripes.

Last edited:

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeff, you can do it but you must use an automotive urethane (base/clear) and a really good adhesion promoter. The emblems can be scuffed up or sanded with 600 grit, adhesion promoter lightly sprayed and then the base and clear. You will need to make sure the emblems are really clean before you do, using a good automotive wax/degreaser. I just bought a gallon of SSG base and clear today for my repaint. Not cheap, I can tell you that.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys.
Sweet you did reply in another thread on the SRT forum.
My Paint guy is really good with the paint match and it was not cheep for him to mix either. (He did SSG paint work on my 08 SSG coupe. I was hoping that some one has done this already to let us know of any little tips that he or she may have overcome! Anyone do this already??

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I tried, but the result was not acceptable because the double stick tape goes all the way out to the edge of the letters and after paint when you remove the adhesive protective paper from the back you don't end up with a nice clean line around the letters, because the paint bridges over.. (hope this makes sence)
Maybe for paint supporting the letters individgually off the backing paper, or use an exacto blade to trim each letter, I guess it could be done but would require more work then it first apears

OP
OP
J

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2 Venomous, I was worried about the bridging over issue! hand cutting while the paint is still soft but hard enough as not to peal or get finger prints may be too much or a problem. Thanks for the reply.

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had my local body shop do mine and it came out great. They used a razor to cut away the extra paint. It took a long time but it can be done. I had mine taken from gloss black to matte black. Looks mean as hell.

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same color change is definetly more forgiving, I was doing black on a yellow car, I tried with the paint soft and waited 2 days but no good....I have an idea, what about individualy sticking them on drinking straws to paint, the straw is round and plastic so there would be no edges to worrie about and the letters would come right off with out damaging them, (you dont need lots of paint or air preassure so the sticky side would still remain good enough) and then assembling the face side on to clear tape to line them back up and then installing on the car.....if I had a spare set I would try it for you..
G.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had my local body shop do mine and it came out great. They used a razor to cut away the extra paint. It took a long time but it can be done. I had mine taken from gloss black to matte black. Looks mean as hell.

Do you have any pics?;)

OP
OP
J

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes pic of the razor cut decales would be very helpful close ups would be best! :2tu:

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had mine professionally done and he told me it was quite the pain to do. It was worth it though and came out very well. Getting the old ones off and new ones on wasn't too hard, just time consuming.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Albinonile, I do not know the exact price of the paint He just said the toners were very expensive. I would think you could paint the bike for a few hundred $ in material. Just a best guess but I have seen a few matching paint jobs and they look great together. Make the painter do the stripes on the bike also!
J

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already replaced my cheezy looking satin silver SRT10 logo on the side of my car with a set of black ones (actualy very dark grey)using the VIN from my '05. It's so much more stealth!:cool:

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it took me more than a month but here are the pictures of my painted logos:

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/SNC16895.JPG[/media]

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/SNC16896.JPG[/media]

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/SNC16898.JPG[/media]

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/SNC16900.JPG[/media]

My picture taking skills leave a lot to be desired but hopefully you get the idea.

Its black with a pearl red overlay. My stripes will eventually be painted this color as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang