Pan Gasket

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dropped the pan to start my chain cover gasket replacement and noticed this. Assuming this is the reason the previous owner had an oil leak that couldn’t be stopped. Im going to go with this gasket can’t be reused? In reading posts from the previous owner it appeared he couldn’t get this leak to stop. The front of the gasket had a huge amount of RTV on the pan side. The bolts were also nice and tight in the front, torque wasn’t consistent around the pan either. Thanks everyone.

You must be registered for see images

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dropped the pan to start my chain cover gasket replacement and noticed this. Assuming this is the reason the previous owner had an oil leak that couldn’t be stopped. Im going to go with this gasket can’t be reused? In reading posts from the previous owner it appeared he couldn’t get this leak to stop.

Well, it depends on how much your time is worth to you, trying to reuse and maybe failing, versus the cost of replacing the gasket. Your logic is good, i.e., the reason that the PO didn't fix the leak being that the leak was actually the timing chain cover. If you're lucky, the pan gasket will seal again; but, I'd personally just do it right and buy a new gasket rather than possibly hassling with it twice.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would replace the gasket as well.
Be prepared for sticker shock. The gasket is around $150.
Just in case you haven't seen the Wizard's tip, when you put the pan back on, don't forget to seal the threads of the bolts with RTV.

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, I wanted to confirm my thoughts that this gasket was done. The previous owner, based on reading posts, replaced the timing chain cover gasket as well. It appears that gasket is also "new" from looking at it. My reason for pulling and assuming it is the timing chain cover gasket is the traces of antifreeze in my oil test from Blackstone.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/620288-blackstone-results-thoughts.html

This is the only place the gasket appears to be damaged. I ordered the other gaskets from Chuck last week and will call today to get the pan gasket on its way, hopefully it will make it here before this weekend.

Chris.