Passenger air bag

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is the on-off switch for the passenger air bag. The owner's manual says the center console, but it in no present in my 2008. I didn't see it in the glove compartment and not in the trunk.

When someone is in the passenger seat the yellow light comes on that says the airbag is turned off. There are no other warning light on. Does this mean a fault or simply the bag is truned off? The owner's manual mentions 2 warnings for a fault.

I searched the threads and posts and didn't find an answer. Thanks.

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have an '08 but all 2nd generation air bags are weight activated, I believe it takes about 65 lbs to turn it on. Maybe thats why you are getting a "off" light. "Advanced Multistage Front Air Bags with Occupant Classification System (OCS) Inflates with a force appropriate to the severity of the impact. The OCS measures the conditions for activation or deactivation of the passenger side front air bag based upon the weight of the occupant" Download from, 2008 Dodge Viper - car information and specifications.

Someone with an '08 will soon help you out...

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vincy, open the console arm rest, the switch is on the front portion closest to the passenger. You active the on-off switch by using your key Mike

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vincy, open the console arm rest, the switch is on the front portion closest to the passenger. You active the on-off switch by using your key Mike

Its not there on my car. I looked 3 times to be sure I didn't miss it.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not there on my car. I looked 3 times to be sure I didn't miss it.

You are not the only one. I kept thinking I should have one, because I noticed it on the 2006's. I've also taken the car to the dealership for the same yellow light coming on when people are sitting there. They recalibrated the sensor, and I had a 180lb friend in the passenger seat, and it still says that the airbag is off (with the seat belt buckled as well. :dunno:

Jason

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
theres no on/off key switch in the center console of the 08's. mine did the light too when my gf was riding with me once. hasent done it since.

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my 08 to the dealership too because when my 120 lb wife sits in the pass seat, it turns OFF the pass airbag. It still isnt working right. Im going to have to take it back again as this is unacceptable.

Flash

Reaction score
Shot in the dark here since I have not personally seen issues with the airbag lights. The 08' cars have the variable force drivers airbag deployment based on how close the drivers seat is to the wheel. Maybe the passenger side is not variable? It may just have a threshold weight limit (may need calibrated if the light is on) that activates it so the force will not harm a smaller occupant?

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealership I took mine to said the threshold was 60 pounds. My wife weighs 120 + or - a few so something is not right. I dont like driving her around with the airbag off. Im going to have to take it back to the dealer for this.

Flash