Paxton...............Here I come!

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After I decided that I cannot sell my Viper because I love this car way to much, I went back and forth about either sticking with my Nitrous system or buying a blower. After months of researching the pros and cons, talking to people with blowers and more importantly finding out the differences between the 2 main manufacturers of superchargers, Roe Racing and Paxton, I have decided to buy a Paxton. I am even selling one of my other cars to finance this little venture. A variety of reasons led me to this decision as well as the availability of an installer/tuner. The nearest Roe installer is in Chicago, 2 hours away. The nearest Paxton installer in 20 minutes away! That helps out tremendously but overall, my research has led me to believe that Paxton has the better system. This is in NO WAY a stab at Roe, Sean is great. I have bought many items from him in the past and will continue to do so in the future. But for a Gen1 supercharger, my mind is made up. One thing I am curious about is just how much more HP/TQ my car will make with a supercharger. Now, if Spring would hurry up!! :D
PS Anybody want to buy a NX system, PM for details.

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would you care to elaborate on why you chose the Paxton over Roe? I will be S/Cing my ride very soon and am leaning towards the Roe because of it's relative ease of install, clean looks, and Roe support.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Roe SC I wouldn't exchange it for anything else. The look of the supercharger is exceptional. The look is the main raison why I choosed this supercharger. When you open the hood everybody gathers around and I have great comments about.

The other important thing about the Roe SC is the customer service. You can reach Sean Roe nearly 24/24 on his cell phone and he will help if you have questions.

Then with the VEC2 you can callibrate your engin the way you want to drive: hwy, city, racing, etc. I have put more than 15000mi in a year on my supercharged Viper without trouble. It became a perfect daily drive. There are several Roe owners on this forum that you can share your tuning knowledge and you can easily personalize your settings.

I have also the impression that some of our comments in the past were miss interpreted. When we ask questions it is often to improve certain tuning situations. I don't know how many improvements the Paxtron SC got the last year. I think none ... Roe SC has got several improvements and I think now it is one of the best superchargers for daily drivers.

7358roe-med.JPG

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having followed the Roe SC since inception, and doing a fair amount of research my self recently...........my Roe is in the mail. Chicago would be the closest install place for me as well..6 hours away...that's why I'm putting it on myself. It will be a good experience.

Schulmann hits the nail on the head for going the Roe way. He has been helpful to me as well. A couple other reasons would be the positive displacement linear power curve. Big power/low RPM. Even a 5 pound pulley will produce about 500 pounds of torque at 2000 RPM in my 2000 car.

Steve

.....We were in Madison a week or so ago having a little work done at the MOHs clinic.

Built 2 Go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also went with a Paxton. If you have a moment, go to the postings under... "New products and Supplier Information", page 2 and look for "Gen 1 Supercharger Kits now available", posted by Dan Cragin of D.C. Performance. My 93 Snake was used by Paxton for the purpose of building their first Gen I Supercharger. I posted a reply under his topic.

Two months ago I had my Snake dyno'd again. The numbers were 552 RWHP & 564 RWTQ at 7lb boost, with Edelbrock headers and Borla exhaust. No other modifications are on the Snake.

My posting under Dan's Topic's reflect a 8lb boost. However, I was informed by Paxton that they set up the Snake at a conservative 7lb boost.

I have not had one problem of any sort with the Paxton Supercharger. The installation was completed January 2005 and then brought back to Paxton in early March for the installation of their new air box, which produced another 10 plus HP.

I to will never knock Sean Roe or his Supercharger. I have read nothing but great reviews about the Man and his Superchargers. I have also ordered many parts from Roe...brake pads, hoses, inlet tubes, VEC1 (no longer used due to Supercharging, etc.

Lastly, I would recommend that you give Dan Cragin a call for the latest updates on Gen I installation. I know you will be installing your Paxton in Wisconsin. However, he always welcomes calls and can give you the latest information. Some Gen 1's, depending on the year need a bit more tweaking done for the set-up & installation.

Best of Everything on your New Viper. Supercharging is Nitrous.. 24-7.

Built 2 Go

Reaction score
Thank God, Paxton and Roe that we have the choices like this when it comes to SC's (not to mention DLM, Heff, Paolo, Dan, et al....and the TT setups). Nowadays there is a friggin plethura (-sp) of choices, and you'd be hard pressed to point out ONE that *****! I know...they ALL BLOW! LOL Can't go wrong either way...so have fun and CONGRATULATIONS!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget differences between the Gens. This post was with regards to a Gen I. Not sure how many Roe systems are out there yet. Or Paxtons for that matter. I believe one benefit for the Paxton is alternator location, which is a Gen I issue only.

I bet everyone this topic (not the specific thread) is alive and well next year and so on. It is great that we have options.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with Roe, but the HP availability with Paxton was a big plus for the system....
Are you going to do the heads/cam at the same time?
I kept the spray, since you never know who's lurking behing next streetcorner.....

Congratulations, ANOTHER FAST GEN 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you made a good choice on the paxton. :nana: The paxton makes alot of power and you'll have the time of your life with it!!!!!!!
Max

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id do the 10lb roe with a 100 shot of nitrous if it were mine.

good luck to you and lauri both.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe or Paxtron and you are wondering about HP ?

When you have 700hp and you add another 20hp you will not notice it unless you race above 200mph. Anyhow with a regular Gen2 Viper, it will be difficult to hold down the beast to the pavement with that much force.

WHAT COUNTS IS THE TORQUE AND THE TORQUE CURVE !! That's it.

And as others pointed out both products are good quality. Your choice should not depend on HP but on other considerations.

I will give you an exemple about why HP is not so important. Take the exemple of the Toyoto Suppra. There are several ones with 1300hp. And lets forget that these cars will only produce this amout of HP 2-3 times a year. None of them managed to beat even a 800hp Viper. The problem with the Suppra is the torque curve. It will peak between 6000-7000 rpm. A Roe supercharger peaks between 2000 and 5500 rpm ... In addition having a lower reving engin elliminates a couple of ignition issues which makes the Viper highly reliable considering its force.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very happy with my Gen 1 Roe system. I have an 8# pulley with stock headers, no cats, and 3" mufflers, water ****. My numbers are 551RWHP and 640RWTQ. I see that a 7# paxton above ended up with similar HP, but about 100 less torque. Does the Roe really produce 100RWTQ more than a similar Paxton?

All I know is my car is a stump puller, even below 2000rpm's

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The look is the main raison why I choosed this supercharger. When you open the hood everybody gathers around and I have great comments about.

LOL!!! I don't think that's the reason.

The same thing happens to me when I pop my hood, and there is no supercharger under it.....

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's well documented, but Paxton's DIY kit blew up my motor. It was NOT a DIY kit, it was deficient in effective tuning and fuel management out of the box.

Having a tuner/installer do it, hopefully will resolve this issue, as it requires a good bit of tuning or your motor will be a ticking time bomb, like mine was.

I hate paxton, I'd go with Roe if I had to do it all over again.

Jon

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002ViperGTS, I am sorry for your troubles but I don't think Paxton itself is in cause.

The real cause is poor tuning. This type of trouble might occure even on the best supercharger when it is poorly tuned. This why when you select a supercharger, just reading the HP numbers will yield to disappointing results.

From mechanical point of view all superchargers are good quality. You can install any supercharger in a couple of hours. However when it comes to tuning that's another matter. This is where customer support and experience comes into account.

Sometimes it is better to pay $1000 to ship your Viper to the right tuner and have a trouble free perfect car in return.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002ViperGTS, I am sorry for your troubles but I don't think Paxton itself is in cause.

The real cause is poor tuning. This type of trouble might occure even on the best supercharger when it is poorly tuned. This why when you select a supercharger, just reading the HP numbers will yield to disappointing results.

From mechanical point of view all superchargers are good quality. You can install any supercharger in a couple of hours. However when it comes to tuning that's another matter. This is where customer support and experience comes into account.

Sometimes it is better to pay $1000 to ship your Viper to the right tuner and have a trouble free perfect car in return.

SURE.. IF.. its clearly stated that tuning is required, and its not a DIY kit. They marketed the kit I bought as a DIY kit. It was supposed to work perfectly out of the box. It was false advertising, and I won. So with all due respect, you dont know on this one. They were forced to give me all my money back. All legally documented. It doesnt mean that the Novi 2000 SC unit isnt a decent unit, its got a lot of followers. I am speaking from personal experience, that the kit they offer for the Gen 2 viper as a DIY kit, is anything but that.

I'd go with Roe. Enough said.

Jon

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At several car shows there were comments like "its all stock" and "how can you resist the mod temptation" :eek: The Roe decals are now in place. :2tu:

Do you guys remember just 3 years ago our limited power adder options. A head and cam package, good for 60hp, cost 15K tuner installed.

I went with Roe because of low end power and customer support. With traffic and the number of revenue hungry police top end power is worthless in this area.
Its nice to tell tales of the install and tuning process even though most think I'm feeding them
You must be registered for see images
. I guess a 55 year old should drive a Caddy and not dirty his hands.LOL

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Group buy ?

Don't try to save a couple of $$$ when you want to install a supercharger. Especially in racing, it is rule number one: "You get what you pay for". Again I will try to explain this with an exemple.

Take three Vipers each with 800hp. First guy paid 9000$, the second 15000$ and the third 50000$ to get his 800hp. Obviously the first guy saved money somewhere and likely will encounter a lot of issues. The second guy likely paid for what he wanted. The third paid maybe too much and will likely use only a fraction of the engin's capacity.

In Formula 1 racing this difference is highly visible. Some teams spend 8 times more on their car than the others. They always finish each race (Renault, McLaren, Ferrari). Minardi rearly finishes one ...

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't try to save a couple of $$$ when you want to install a supercharger. Especially in racing, it is rule number one: "You get what you pay for".
I totally agree with this statement, however, I fail to see how this pertains to a group purchase. Unless you are inferring that Roe would sell an inferior product during a group buy? Nothing wrong with trying to save money on the purchase of a NEW supercharger. I think the 'skimping on money' is more a concern in the 'installation' of the system.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't try to save a couple of $$$ when you want to install a supercharger. Especially in racing, it is rule number one: "You get what you pay for". Again I will try to explain this with an exemple.

Take three Vipers each with 800hp. First guy paid 9000$, the second 15000$ and the third 50000$ to get his 800hp. Obviously the first guy saved money somewhere and likely will encounter a lot of issues. The second guy likely paid for what he wanted. The third paid maybe too much and will likely use only a fraction of the engin's capacity.

In Formula 1 racing this difference is highly visible. Some teams spend 8 times more on their car than the others. They always finish each race (Renault, McLaren, Ferrari). Minardi rearly finishes one ...

I don't think that's a good example in regards to the Roe or basic Paxton. We aren't talking rocket science and I really hope you didn't pay 15k or even 9k for your s/c and install. In fact when someone calls me about a Roe install I query them about their mechanical skills. If they have basic skills I recommend they do it themselves and then share the dyno results with Sean or myself for any tuning touch ups. Sean has lots of experience with long distance tweaks.
Picture this: Your at the local car hangout, hood open. People dicussing your engine, gauking, you know how it works (even stock)
Somebody asks you.....
Man, who did your work ?
You smile real big and get to say....
I did all the work. Huge amount of self satisfaction. Nothing at all wrong with that.
Of course if you don't have the basic skills or time then having someone else do it is fine too.

IEATVETS: Congrats on your decision. I'm sure you will be happy. After you get it on and going it would be awesome to some roll ons with a comparable gen1 Roe s/c car. How close are you and Martyb ?

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey 1tony1,

I like your idea. IEATVETS is in Madison, less than 2 hours from my house. Sounds like a road trip!!

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

Money, HP and reliability are very closely bound. I don't think that you install 800hp on a stock Viper for just $7500. This is what will disappoint customers, they will break their vipers just after an hour race.

For a raisonable racer with a raisonnable mind there is no bargain hunting when looking for HP.

I think my exemple is good for Vipers. The amounts were there for the exemple. To get a safe 800hp just the right parts will cost you around $11000. You can get away with cheaper parts. But again you get what you pay for. You can do the job in one day or spend a couple of days to do a clean job.

I think also that basic skills are not enough to install a supercharger. You need more knowledge than bolting up a couple of parts. If you want to do a clean job it's better to have a good understanding of how boosted engins work (NOS, turbo, SC). Otherwise it is better to spend a little more money and have the Viper shipped to a professional installer like you or Sean.

That's been said I am sure we have the same pleasure tuning and racing.

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Money, HP and reliability are very closely bound. I don't think that you install 800hp on a stock Viper for just $7500. This is what will disappoint customers, they will break their vipers just after an hour race.
Where on this thread has anyone hoped to get 800HP by simply bolting on a S/C? No way in hell that's gonna happen without further engine mods and other mods to put this type of power down to the ground, and I agree that will be way more than $7500. But that's not the point we (1Tony1, and I) are trying to make. I don't think most of us are looking to have a full-on racecar. For $7500, the Roe is a fabulous kit that will be enuff for most of us.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of 1TONY1. Looking for a discount based upon a group buy. However, Schulmann raises a good question. I, just like 1TONY1, can't wait to do my own install. Sean Roe sells his SC as a DIY kit. 2002 apparently had a bad experience with Paxton. But, I have not seen any bad experiences with Roe. Issues, yes. But blown (up) engines? Not that I've seen.

My goal? :) Corvette Killer! Oh, yeah. And eventually to beat IU again in basketball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang