Paxton Supercharged 2006 Coupe Build Thread

SNIPERDOG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Someone didn't read my thread, haha. :)

I list every detail, with intentions for others to use as a roadmap if they decide to follow the Paxton route. I don't need a methanol kit, I have a nitrous kit. With a methanol kit, you have to tune the engine to run on methanol. If you run out of methanol, you are done for the day. With a nitrous wet kit, you simply tune the engine to run how it does without nitrous, then add in the 100 hp shot on top of it. When you run out of nitrous, you are still good to go on the tune. We ran the previous event on C16 race fuel, and were able to get 23 degrees timing without nitrous. On nitrous, I run 20 degrees timing, with C16. I guarantee nitrous temps are far more efficient than methanol temps :)

Also, you can't simply add hp gains from each individual modifications and assume the hp just stacks up. Putting a Paxton on a 630 rwhp engine isn't going to automatically make more power. My combo is already at the maximum CFM of the Paxton head unit, based on the pulleys I have on the car. It simply won't flow more air, or do so efficiently. The blower itself is apparently the restriction, not the engine. Other local guys are pushing 1100-1200 rwhp on the exact same engine I have, but using twin turbos. I spec'd the cam to work with turbos, because I planned to swap to that later on.

More pics!

You must be registered for see images attach

And, that new Exotic Engines catch can system WORKS! Here is what I found in the catch can, after about 20 dyno runs and 10 passes at the track. If not for that catch-can, this oil would have been inside my intake manifold. Oil in the intake manifold is not good, especially on a supercharged or turbo engine.

Tony

great thread., and vids.,., or did I miss them?

And yes.,on the oil catch can,.,, it lowers your octane something bad.,.,

and of course, you had to add the juice.,., you weren't making nearly enough power lol :2tu:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that's an incredible outcome, great job and super detailing of your build. One thing I thought about when you mentioned guys with turbos are making a couple of hundred more HP than you with a similar setup..................What is the real measureable HP loss of driving that Paxton at those blower speeds vs. lost HP to turbos? I think the idea of measuring lost HP from the Paxton is much easier to grasp than HP lost to turbos via exhaust restriction.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbos are the most efficient at producing power, because there is a lot of stored energy in exhaust flow. At the same psi boost, a twin turbo kit would produce another 100-150 rwhp over the Paxton. Turbos would also produce better torque output compared to a centrifugal blower.

Nitrous cures both issues here :)

Here is a video of my 209.3 mph pass, from Saturday. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHUwltKg9vo

Tony :drive:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my point here is that your combo is probably making the same power as a twin turbo set up, however it is not seen as RWHP because it is being consumed to drive that blower. Regardless, awesome build and car.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab,

You are absolutely correct! Power production is likely the same as twin turbo, but the inefficiency and losses from turning a belt vs using exhaust shows up at the rear tires. That is what is important though, the net result.

As for now, I have no plans on changing the car to turbos. It won't produce any better results than what I currently have, and I'm not really looking for 1400-1500 rwhp. The car at 1000-1200 range should prove more reliable. My goal for the car was 200 mph in the mile, in street form. I'd still like to get that 9-second drag strip pass, then I'll be finished.

Tony

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tony, did you ever have a chance to run the car in the 1/4?

Tom

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No drag strip times. I'm building a stronger rear drivetrain setup now, before I go. Wavetrac diff, 3.33 gears, upgraded half shafts from RSI. I want to be able to launch like I mean it.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some updates to this thread, since I've done more stuff recently.

Installed Wavetrac posi unit, 3.33 gears, and The Driveshaft Shop half-shafts. They are rated for 1200 rwhp. The car is definitely easier to get off of the line from a start now, no bogging and less clutch slippage required. This setup should be good for mid-150s in the 1/4-mile, using my 27.5" tall 18" M/T drag radials.

Private drag strip rental this Sunday...

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been waiting for the 1/4 mile times and mph :drive: Should be mid 9's!!

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some updates to this thread, since I've done more stuff recently.

Installed Wavetrac posi unit, 3.33 gears, and The Driveshaft Shop half-shafts. They are rated for 1200 rwhp. The car is definitely easier to get off of the line from a start now, no bogging and less clutch slippage required. This setup should be good for mid-150s in the 1/4-mile, using my 27.5" tall 18" M/T drag radials.

Private drag strip rental this Sunday...

Who makes the wavetrac application for the viper? autotech driveline? What is the HP rating for the wavetrac, I can't tell from your post whether or not the 1,200 hp rating is meant for the half shafts or the wavetrac
thanks

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who makes the wavetrac application for the viper? autotech driveline? What is the HP rating for the wavetrac, I can't tell from your post whether or not the 1,200 hp rating is meant for the half shafts or the wavetrac
thanks

Wavetrac is available at Unitrax. I just put one in my 08 track car.
Devin at Unitrax is a huge help with info and applications...

http://www.unitrax.biz/?p=619

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I ordered the diff from Unitrax. They also supplied me with bearings, seals, and synthetic gear oil. I got the 3.33 gears and half shafts through RSI. KP Racing in Houston rebuilt a spare gear housing that I bought, I just swapped the whole thing out once it was done. I do not believe any posi units have rated hp advertised.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn weather. Rain forecast cancelled out the rental tomorrow. Not sure when I'll have an opportunity to go again, a lot of travel for work coming up.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a couple members here ask about the Gates HD green serpentine belt part number, so I'll add it here so that it is easy to find.

When using a 3.0" Paxton pulley and the ATI 7% overdriven crank pulley, this is the belt that fits:

Gates K080496HD - available at Jegs.com

Tony

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, if everything goes well I will be bugging you to help with mods on a Paxton 03 that I am looking at :)

My buddy Hung with the black TT vert down there said your setup is very simple but works very well. I might look at ditching the boosta pumps and doing a better engine management. If your car runs that well on SCT it looks like it might be a route that I'd take.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a learning curve for using the SCT tuning software, but Joe at KPRacing.com was able to figure it out pretty well. It is a slower process than using typical software, due to the fact you have to keep uploading the file into a hand-held controller, then flashing the computer each time with the handheld. Then doing a dyno pull and monitoring the air/fuel via wideband, while logging it. But, the software works pretty well, and we were able to improve drivability and WOT power. I do not recommend any aftermarket engine management system for cars making less than 14 psi (limit of using a 2 Bar SRT-4 MAP sensor). My car is at 12-13 psi boost, depending on density altitude. Higher boost psi measured when it is colder outside.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW. Looking at the 650 whp dyno... the AFRs is like 9:1 and richer. Sheesh, that's rich as heck. You didn't want to mess with the split second timing/fuel controller to lean it out a bit?

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The analog graphs at the bottom of that dyno are boost psi.

We never messed with the Split Second box, that was how it came from Paxton. The external pumps and FMU were harder to tune around. They would flood the engine on the initial hit, and created a dead zone along with lag. The legit fuel system and SCT tune made the throttle response instant, and crisp. FMU and externals are just a cheap bandaid mod.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I was looking and saw air fuel and didn't even notice it was a different graph :) Makes a lot more sense that it's graphing boost on analog 1.

I know all about FMU and booster pump setups. Coming from tuning Hondas, I always laugh when someone brings in a JRSC (roots blower) on a Honda with a FMU setup to dyno and tune.

Is everyone dropping dual or triple walbro pumps in the tank or are people using the bosch 044 pumps on vipers? It's going to be a learning curve for me.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an RSI billet in-tank fuel pump hanger, with two Walbro 255 pumps. Posted a pic of it earlier in this thread. The hanger is very nice, makes upgrading easy since it has 3 pump slots available.

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't taken this car to the drag strip in over 2 yrs now. Last time out, it was just a stock engine car with the Paxton supercharger. Since then, I've added about 400 rwhp. I couldn't get a good launch without making the clutch slip too much, so I had to leave the line somewhat conservative and then get on it. My best 60' of the day was a 1.55, but the clutch didn't hold in 2nd gear. I also cut a few 1.60-1.62 times, but the high rpm launch didn't hold again.

Yes, I had to grab 5th gear. That is a lot of rowing in less than 10 seconds. My nitrous shuts off at 6,000 rpm to be safe, which is when you see the shift light flash. So, I had to grab 5th in order to stay on the bottle.

http://youtu.be/skHx7s8YVgA

Timeslips for today:

Mods:

Forged internals on the shortblock
Custom camshaft
Belanger headers
Novi2000 supercharger at 12 psi boost (makes about 850-875 on boost alone)
Nitrous Outlet 150 hp wet kit.
TR6060 transmission
3.33 rear gears w/ Wavetrac diff and Driveshaft Shop half-shafts
18" drag radials
3,650 lbs raceweight

Tony

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62