Paxton supercharged Gen III owners

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the OEM street tires, how useable is the power? Are you spinning 1st, 2nd, & possibly 3rd if you are flooring it?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You specified a Paxton, not a Roe supercharger and traction is not an issue at all. Well, unless you add Nitrous Oxide anyway.

PS2s are soooo good that my over 720rwhp Roe supercharger has traction in second gear. PS1 I would fishtail for hundreds of feet at 95mph!

You must be registered for see images

These are my Paxton 600rwhp and Roe 750+rwhp cars. The Red Paxton car makes 802rwhp with Nitrous added. I posted the video of this ACR doing a cold tire burnout through first and spinning only slightly into second on another thread and youtube.com

I had a 600rwhp/644rwhp Roe supercharged GTS (mostly stock) that would instantly lose traction in any gear up to 100mph with Gen 3 runcraps.

With new BFG KDW tires on this ACR the Paxton car will not lose tracion unless the clutch is dropped or the road is bad.

Ted

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
On the OEM street tires, how useable is the power? Are you spinning 1st, 2nd, & possibly 3rd if you are flooring it?

Yes!. Seeing as the OEM tires are runflats you will be spinning like crazy. It will teach you car control and throttle modulation though:). Like Ted say's, get PS2's and you can get on it. Make sure your front wheels are pointed straight first;)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2006 SRTC with the stock Paxton kit and the DC blower tune. The last dyno run showed 686 HP at the rear wheels. I use PS2s. First gear is a problem. You have to nurse it a bit. On a cold day, second can be slightly touchy. I have never had an issue with third. At the drag strip, per Brooks, the PS2s do pretty well when the track is prepped well. Based on posts on this forum, the BFG drag radials on the rear appear to produce the best result on the drag strip for a Paxtonized Gen III.

As noted above, if you are still using the runcraps, you will experience far less traction.

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am installing one right now and need some help. #85 yellow wire on the installed relay. Where does it go? My instructions say to see section 7e but it's not there.

Thanks

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am installing one right now and need some help. #85 yellow wire on the installed relay. Where does it go? My instructions say to see section 7e but it's not there.

Thanks

It connects to the same switched power source as the split second box (thin red 20 gauge wire).....pin number 2 ( pink with grey stripe )in the black PCM C1 connector.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paxton blowers build boost with revs.

Technique is to get on it till the boost raises enough to overpower the rear tires. At this point shift into the next gear.

This allows you to optimize your performance for different traction conditions.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There are a couple of guys in the Bay Area with Paxton / SRT-10s that post on this forum. Hopefully you'll hear from them.

Agree with the above, fresh PS2's are pretty good on warm, smooth roads depending upon your power level and if you roll into the throttle.

After 40K miles in a Paxton SRT, I'd say roll into the throttle in first and shift when you loose traction (as Paul says). Under 700 rwhp, 2nd gear can be usable and 3rd should be fun.

Above 700 rwhp, you will learn to modulate the throttle with PS2s and should really pick up a set of drag radials and install a Quaife. I still pre-run any roads that I'm thinking of acellerating fast on as a bump can really upset your car (and break things) under heavy acceleration.

Dan

OP
OP
U

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
About 5 years ago, I got to extensively drive my roomates 96 Roe supercharged GTS. I learned very quickly that traction control was modulated with your right foot, and make sure you are pointing it straight before flooring it.... :) Fun fun... I was about to buy my own, until he said, why buy one, just drive mine? I couldn't argue with that. He's long since sold them, and now I'm suffering from Viper withdrawl... as he said.. I've been bitten... :) Looking to get a Gen 3 coupe ASAP. I comb the internet everyday for a good one....

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got 20" Invo's on my 640rwhp Paxton car, and have been pleasantly surprised with the traction. As noted, first has to be modulated, and a little into 2nd, but that's on the street and cold-ish tires. I've also read that Invo's lose their grip well before the tread is gone...we'll see!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
About 5 years ago, I got to extensively drive my roomates 96 Roe supercharged GTS. I learned very quickly that traction control was modulated with your right foot, and make sure you are pointing it straight before flooring it.... :) Fun fun... I was about to buy my own, until he said, why buy one, just drive mine? I couldn't argue with that. He's long since sold them, and now I'm suffering from Viper withdrawl... as he said.. I've been bitten... :) Looking to get a Gen 3 coupe ASAP. I comb the internet everyday for a good one....

You can't compare a Roe and a Paxton. Roe is like full power at 2,000rpm while a Paxton starts off stock and then adds hp depending on the rpms.

My Roe was 600rwhp/644rwtq (stock with blower). My Paxton is stock with blower and about the same power level on a dyno. But the Roe is insane and explosive while the Paxton is a "wait for it" kind of power. The Paxton has a Nitous kit so that it will go fast. My 2000 GTS ACR is for sale (802rwhp).

Ted

OP
OP
U

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Right, I understand the Roe has a lot more power down low. That's why I was curious how the Paxton operates... 802 rwhp must be nuts.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But, the Nitrous is for serious competition or serious fun. With the Nitrous kit the Torque is huge and the dyno sheet looks like a Roe. Having to refill the bottle full of Nitrous means that it's an occaisional useage. What I like about the Paxton is that nearly anyone can drive it without crashing. Anyone can crash any car, but the Roe does take quite a bit of experience to handle well. And I'm sure that even great drivers have a few stories about "that close call" like I do.

One really nice thing about the Nitrous is that if someone borrows your Viper (you can search why that's a bad idea) the bottle can stay at home. That makes the car only a 600rwhp car and with good tires and good roads easy to drive.

No one drives my Roe car. Mid 10sec on street tires is a clue to the performance of the Roe. I think my GTS went 10.5@139mph when it was dyno'd at 698rwhp. It's quite a bit higher than that now.

If you're looking at Vipers and wondering about Paxton's, you already have a Paxton car picked out?

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll either buy one that is already Paxton'd or I will buy a Paxton right after I get one.

I think that Roe Racing has a TT build that is the same price for the Gen 3 ... making more hp.

If you want the Paxton why wouldn't you buy Paxton #1, then hardtop(GTS) or coupe (SRTC)second? An 06 coupe is worth $40-50 and a Paxton installed is worth about $12,000. Add headers, exhaust, Hiflow cats, mags, etc and you're looking at another $6,000+.

My 2000 ACR has modifications that cost about $30,000 and I'm adding another $5,000 worth. That's nearly double the value of the car. I have it for sale for $55K Cdn, and ... being an ACR it comes with a $10K upgrade of dbl. adjustable shocks. Cheap!

Not telling you what to do, but it is sooo much cheaper to buy a hardtop already finished as compared to installing it.

Ted

OP
OP
U

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you're right.... but, I live in wonderful California. Header's exhaust and high flow cats don't slip by super easy here. I want a SRTC. Also, if you buy it done... you don't get the joy of putting it together. :) Not always fun getting it to run perfectly, but very rewarding if it works right in the end.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you're right.... but, I live in wonderful California. Header's exhaust and high flow cats don't slip by super easy here. I want a SRTC. Also, if you buy it done... you don't get the joy of putting it together. :) Not always fun getting it to run perfectly, but very rewarding if it works right in the end.

That explains much. Since California is just one state, at least you have DC Performance to do it for you. You know it'll be done right and run perfectly when he's doing it. He also has the advantage of knowing what Cats and headers "have the stamp" you need. THE awesome tuner as here on the west coast NO one quotes any other tuners as being great.

You didn't mean that you were going to "put it together" yourself, did you? If that's the case then you'll still need a dyno and a tuner to get it perfect and "Dan's the Man". Dan can sell you all the "ticketed" Cali parts that he knows because he's been dealing with that GREEN garbage the entire time.

Ted

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one more question about a Paxton install. We are not getting power to the fuel pumps. The small red wire from the computer box has power. We are not getting power at the two fuses for the pumps either.

Thanks

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have one more question about a Paxton install. We are not getting power to the fuel pumps. The small red wire from the computer box has power. We are not getting power at the two fuses for the pumps either.

Thanks

the pumps are turned on by the splitsecond box at what ever level you set bar at check your tune

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
That explains much. Since California is just one state, at least you have DC Performance to do it for you. You know it'll be done right and run perfectly when he's doing it. He also has the advantage of knowing what Cats and headers "have the stamp" you need. THE awesome tuner as here on the west coast NO one quotes any other tuners as being great.

You didn't mean that you were going to "put it together" yourself, did you? If that's the case then you'll still need a dyno and a tuner to get it perfect and "Dan's the Man". Dan can sell you all the "ticketed" Cali parts that he knows because he's been dealing with that GREEN garbage the entire time.

Ted

Follow this advice from Ted. My 06 was putting down 681 rwhp. Last year I took it to Viper Days at TWS in 100+ deg temps. Ran it hard for 2 days on the 2.9 mile track in the 100 deg temps. Never had a problem (other than traction):),and was hitting 160 mph on the long straight. That car was built by DC performance and if I ever buy another S/C gen 3, DC performance will be who I call.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paxton owner here (675 rwhp). Wish that Roe had been available when I bought it. Ted is right, the low rpm boost of a roots/screw type charger is far more fun than the centrifugal "wait for it" boost.

I won't buy another centrifugal blower again. Its only fun at 100+ mph to me, so I don't get to use it often. Car feels mostly stock until 5,000 rpm, and I can't keep traction until 3rd gear anyways.

I prefer the instant hit of a roots/screw type blower, something you can feel 100% of the time you drive a car equipped with one.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Nine Ball,

Try rolling into the throttle, gradually going to full throttle with the Paxton car. I think you'll be surprised how much better the Paxton works.

You are correct on the roots type blower. Lot's of low end and mid range which can blow the tires off, usually not quite as much up high.

OP
OP
U

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone make a roots/scew type blower? Not enough room under the hood right?

Paxton owner here (675 rwhp). Wish that Roe had been available when I bought it. Ted is right, the low rpm boost of a roots/screw type charger is far more fun than the centrifugal "wait for it" boost.

I won't buy another centrifugal blower again. Its only fun at 100+ mph to me, so I don't get to use it often. Car feels mostly stock until 5,000 rpm, and I can't keep traction until 3rd gear anyways.

I prefer the instant hit of a roots/screw type blower, something you can feel 100% of the time you drive a car equipped with one.