Paxton supercharger for Gen II

Reaction score
Since APEX Motorsports is a Paxton/Vortech dealer, here's the information I just received from them regarding their upcoming release of a supercharger kit:

*Paxton gear-driven NOVI 2000 supercharger with 3-year limited warranty
*Preliminary testing has shown a 35% gain in horsepower and a 20% gain in torque on an otherwise stock motor
*8-rib 3.75" supercharger pulley and 7.145" 2-piece billet crank pulley
*Integrated dual-pass air-to-water charge cooler system allows for effective street operation using a closed-loop water cooling system with a stand-alone pump, tank, and front-mounted heat exchanger
*Billet aluminum supercharger mounting bracket assembly
*High-efficiency bypass valve providing quiet, surge-free compressor operation
*Oil feed and oil drain assemblies deliver the best possible lubrication and cooling for the supercharger, even under sustained boost conditions
*Supercharger drive system includes all the necessary pulleys and tensioner
*Discharge duct connections utilize heat resistant silicone sleeves and premium quality stainless steel clamps
*High-flow auxiliary fuel pump and fuel control unit
*Stand-alone, programmable timing control computer
*Aircraft-spec components provide long-term dependability
*All required fasteners and fittings
*CARB certification pending
*Anticipated release date of 12/02
*Suggested retail $7,995
*A picture of the installed kit has already been posted here: http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/015037.html

I asked them about Gen I compatibility, and they're hoping to get a kit together to support the earlier cars! They said that this kit was a long time in the making--lots of R&D!
I should have more info on this kit soon, and you can be sure we'll be installing one as soon as they're ready for delivery. Can you say Lethal 750S ? Yowza!
BURNOUT.gif
We'll report on our experiences shortly--stay tuned!

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't the terms:

"Stand-alone, programmable timing control computer"
AND
"CARB certification pending"

mutually exclussive? What I mean to say is, to get a CARB Executive Order number, I don't believe you can tamper with or alter the Original Equipment Manfacturer's (OEM) timing controls.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg-
Good question. Luckily for us, this is not the case. For the last several years, we have been installing Vortech and Paxton superchargers (a few hundred) for the late model Ford Mustangs and Cobra Mustangs. Both of these kits include a computer chip that reprograms timing and fuel. The carb/EO number is actually mounted on a tab on the supercharger unit itself. When you bring it in for emissions testing, the the tech plugs the number into the computer and it sends back the year, make and model the carb number is for, and then verifies this is the car it is installed in. These kits are emissions legal in all 50 states. Because of the CARB exemption, none of our customers have had any issues with passing smog.

The paxton kit, in combination with our other fuel injector, system, and computer upgrades, will be a great addition to any of our LETHAL power packages including the LETHAL 500, 600, 650, and 750. As one of the largest Vortech/Paxton dealers in our area, we have followed the development and progress of this kit over the last 1+ years.

We feel confident that this kit will be an outstanding opportunity for Viper owners to get great horserpower and still be able to pass emissions properly.

Regards,
Wayne (LTHL VPR)

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne
I stand corrected! I had believed my previous statement to be true due to the conversation I had with MSD's tech department a few days back. They informed me that none of their timing computers could qualify for a CARB E O number becuase is was a no no to alter the OEM's timing controls. Maybe it is due to the fact that MSD's timing computers can be adjusted by the user, Not sure really.