Performance Heads

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JM striker heads are definitely the best. Better coolant flow, better air flow, structurally stronger from a brand new casting design.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stryker's are a new casting. and around 7k list. Greg Good does a hell of a job on a stock casting for a lot less.

I've run both.

I talked to Greg about my considering the Strykers at the time and he had nothing but good things to say. Especially when i told him that i wanted to run a high-boost turbo car. he talked about the improved cooling of the new casting.

But they [strykers] are also 7k. use a different spark plug ($13 ea), and flow more air than a ROE can put out. there are a few who have tried the combo of strykers + ROE and the ROE became a restrictor plate.

Call Greg and he'll give you a strong opinion. he hand ports all his heads and the flow #'s are awesome. With my old paxton setup, i went from 850rwhp to 965rwhp changing nothing but Greg Good heads.

My .02... PM me if you have more comments/questions. I think i'm one of the few who isn't a 'tuner' who has used both.

JD

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

Check with Mike Malone of Machineworks in Greenville, Texas. I am extremely pleased with his work and he is a "secret weapon" of many drag racers (although I don't go to the strip). He P&P'd the heads, installed the T&D's, Crower springs, titanium keepers, etc.

AND he's "local"......

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Striker heads include Jesel roller rockers and don't require a core exchange. If you can sell your stock heads and T&D rockers, you could recoup some of the cost.

The $13 spark plug...isn't that an Iridium plug? Are there plain copper 1" reach spark plugs available?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Alex

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Striker heads include Jesel roller rockers and don't require a core exchange. If you can sell your stock heads and T&D rockers, you could recoup some of the cost.

The $13 spark plug...isn't that an Iridium plug? Are there plain copper 1" reach spark plugs available?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Alex

If you are running N/A, there is one plug choice: Champion for 1.39 ea. But it is a pretty hot plug. you have to go iridium if you are SC or TT since no other manufacturer makes a colder than stock copper plug.

NGK makes a slightly cheaper plug but it is also borderline for more than 5psi (not quite cold enough).

JD

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
www.jmcylinderheads.com jeff does most of the head work for the Dodge's cars one lap, race cars, and Exotic Engine Development, ect....

For those that are not aware, jmcylinderheads is Jeff Morey. Jeff is well known for the Stryker Heads, but, he also does excellent work on stock castings. I had a well known shop do what they call a Stage 3 cylinder head treatment. The car never ran right after they did the heads, jeff just re-did those heads and I picked up over 10% flow (over the reworked heads) thru about 60% of the usable rpm range. I had to add large amounts of fuel thru the majority of the rpm range to maintain the a/f at wot. In a nutshell he does good work and is honest as they get.

OP
OP
R

rgavitt2002

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the valuable feedback. The biggest issue is where do you stop? If I am going to pull the heads to fix a bent valve, well obviously redo the heads. Well I want to keep it very streetable without becoming a constant tweaker. I have stock pistons, do I drop in a set of forged pistons while I am at it? Do I use the stock connecting rods? The car has 20K miles on it, all mine. I want to do it right but I also picked up a 01 360 Modena just 6 weeks ago, so the budget is not unlimited, but I don't want to kick myself 3 months from now saying I should have done this or that....:dunno:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I type, I'm in the process of pulling my motor. I met Jeff at VOI 9 and was immediately impressed by his excellent product and his genuine honesty. It took me 6 mos. to muster up the cash, but I decided that the Stryker heads were for me. The casting quality is exceptional, and his customer service thus far has been excellent. I'll post pics of the whole process soon. Going with these heads is by no means an inexpensive proposition, but the improved cooling along with thicker decks and revised valve angles sold me. Besides I have a perfect set of complete stock heads if I ever decided to go back to stock. Something to consider as well. Stock ported heads will run about $3,500 without rockers and pushrods. The Stryker heads come with Jesel Rockers as well as pushrods.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I type, I'm in the process of pulling my motor. I met Jeff at VOI 9 and was immediately impressed by his excellent product and his genuine honesty. It took me 6 mos. to muster up the cash, but I decided that the Stryker heads were for me. The casting quality is exceptional, and his customer service thus far has been excellent. I'll post pics of the whole process soon. Going with these heads is by no means an inexpensive proposition, but the improved cooling along with thicker decks and revised valve angles sold me. Besides I have a perfect set of complete stock heads if I ever decided to go back to stock. Something to consider as well. Stock ported heads will run about $3,500 without rockers and pushrods. The Stryker heads come with Jesel Rockers as well as pushrods.

SSSSHHHH....

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put on a set of Stryker heads and love them, but they are certainly not cheap.
I bought the spark plugs for $8 at sparkplugs.com.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe at PBJ is also doing heads, mine are there right now. Should have some results very soon!!

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg Good did heads for my Gen1. I would highly reccomend him. he does great work, and is a very trustworthy guy. The heads flowed 305cfm on the intake side, very stout for a set of Gen1's. His Gen2's will flow even better. With my Gen1 ROE SC, I made 600RWHP on a 6.5lb pulley. Here are the mods I did. I could have gotten to ~630RWHP on the 6.5lb pulley with larger TB's and air tubes.

ROE SC w/ 6.5 lb pulley
Greg Good Heads
708 CAM
T&D rockers
Edelbrock Headers
ROE 3" exhaust

If you're going to have the heads off the car, I'd reccomend getting them done. You won't need to do pistons or connecting rods to get big HP. CAM is pretty close to easy, once the heads are off. I have a 708 CAM, and it is very streetable. There are higher HP CAMs, out there, if you want.

I'd say pull the heads, send them to Greg, and do the CAM while he's got them. That will open up the motor in a huge way and make the SC really pull at the high RPMs, where it probably falls off now.

One more trick, if you're really looking for every ounce, is to have Greg match the ROE intake manifold to the heads. I don't have direct experience on the performance gains, but there is some restriction between the stock ROE and the upgraded Heads' intake port.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine