Picking up my first Viper!!! Ship it or drive it?

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm soon to be the proud owner of a 1999 Black/Silver Viper GTS ACR.

I pick it up on the 22nd, got the plane tickets and everything ready.

I have to go to Minneapolis, MN to pick it up and i'm debating on driving it or shipping it back. It's 788 miles back to Ohio. Right now i'm leaning towards driving it because i think it would be a fun trip and i'd save some cash. It is my first viper but i've had a lot of muscle cars including a supercharged 01 Trans Am that dyno'd 466 rwhp on a mustang dyno.

Any advice/tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take your digital camera and the cash you would save. Drive it back. Spend the money on drinks and women, and then waste the rest !

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea i'm not worried about miles, it only has 11k miles on it and i plan on keeping it and driving it often.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive and get familiar with it. The more you drive the more you become attracted to it.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it involves an overnight I would stay in the county rather than an urban setting (less vandles).

Black n' Silver- My favorite color combo. But don't tell the red guys :2tu:

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! I can't wait i'm so excited about it. I've never even seen a black/silver or acr here in Canton.

vinnieviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would drive and enjoy.. watch being behind the big trucks... akron area here 95 yellow rt/10 in canton often.. see ya around belden area !! have fun !!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DRIVE!! It will be a great memory, I drove mine over 1000 miles and still remember it 5 years later!!
(Even the 180 degree spin on highway!)

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OMG are u kidding! I can't believe your even posing this question. Drive that beast home!!!!! I drove my 2002 ACR back home from Charlotte N.C. to San Diego in Jan. Your 788 miles is childs play compared to my drive. My previous Z06 I brought back home from Allentown P.A.

Like others have said you will have lifetime of memories. Although your measley 800 miles won't give you enough memories imo. Too bad your drive wasn't longer. You should be thinking about taking a longer route back home instead of debating about driving it at all. Hook up with some Viper members on the way back like I did. I stayed at vipervnm(Jason) hotel and we had a great dinner and I got to meet his wife and new baby.

I enjoyed every mile I got to drive this great automobile on that epic trip! :usa:

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
drive it, BUT gas gauge is slow to react. plan on around 16-21 mpg, (varies on weight of right foot).
It is actually a comfortable car and has no problem passing.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
picked up the 04,drove 1600 miles from lubbock texas, to san francisco bay area last january, (took the long way to avoid the sierra's) DRIVE...you will love it

V

venms96

Just my .02 of course......I'm not saying don't drive it home, it has to be the drive a lifetime, however, first time driving it....you gotta be careful of the following [******], Stones - Tire Treads in road - other drivers - and last but not least - the Horsepower - etc, etc. Same stuff you have to always think about, but on a long trip, it's different. You know the deal.

I'd hate to be excited about the first drive, then have a Truck tire throw up a big rock on the hood, whatever. Not being doom and gloom, just reality of driving long distances on crowded highways.

Pick a great time / day to travel and it should be a memorable trip.

Someone had to say something different.......

ACR is a great car !!

venms96
1996 GTS - slowly creeping out of winter hibernation....

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About two weeks ago I woke on Monday morning at 4:30. Hopped a 6:15 flight out of Ohare and landed in Newark at 8:00. Picked up my new SRT and left the dealership at 10:00. Three gas stops,two bad fast food meals and 11 hours later I arrived in Chicago at 9:00pm. What a freaking great day. My ass hurt and so did my knee but the most fun you can have with your clothes on.. No question, drive it home

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey osubrew

i live in columbus oh and i bought my viper last year (in kc) in june and drove it home...600 + miles...was a litle rough being in it for 13 hours straight...but what an experience!...the only concern is the weather...if it looks like it is going to be bad...ship it...if good, drive it! these cars don't do so hot in the rain or possibly snow! so keep an eye on the radar, that is a long way to bring a car home without inclimate weather...i lucked out...but like i said it was in the middle of the summer here!

good luck...and if you get it here on the 22nd there is a vca meeting at noon in columbus, and a bunch of guys are going down to a carshow the following weekend (april 29th) in cincy...lasalle hs!...welcome aboard!

if you want to talk about this more in depth...pm me!

later

ryan

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Drive it! I did from West Palm Beach Fl. to Canton and the return non-stop. 16.5 hrs and 1100 miles each way, and the car was very comfortable. You just have to find a comfortable position for your foot on the gas, as these cars do not have cruise control.

Make sure you make it to the Massillon car shows on Sat. nights this summer!

Have fun and congrats.

CreteViperMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By all means, DRIVE IT BACK!! It will be a roadtrip you'll never forget.

I drove two Vipers back to Chicago from Blair, NE and those two trips were unforgetable.

Plane ticket to Omaha - $39
Dodge Viper - $80,000
Gas for Viper - $74
Roadtrip back home - PRICELE$$

Enjoy it!!

-Alan

danalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definetly drive it i picked mine up in Huston TX and drove it back to West Virginia it was a fun trip

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think i'm pretty set on driving it now. I just hope i get good weather for it! I'm not too worried about the horsepower since i've had a bunch of cars with a lot of horsepower. The only things i'm really concerned about are rock chips and the rain! My girlfriend is coming with me so at least i'll have some company. Thanks for the support guys!

-Jay

V

venms96

Good Luck with the Trip. Let us hear how it went upon your return. Stay far back from those big Trucks !! Cars too....

Black/Silver ACR is a beauty !! Keep it that way.

venms96
1996 GTS

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it. That is not a bad trip, especially since you will get to know your car a bit more. Just drove my to Miami, about 1100 miles, and it was a blast!!!!

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i flew and drove mine back. it was a 5 hour drive from rochester NY to NYC. it went so quick. i have to admint i was kinda afraid to get on it and go fast in it cause i wasnt used to it. take it slow and get used to it before you go nutz in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi