(Pics) Halfway through install of Corsa system/Random Tech Cats!

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am halfway through right now. I have removed the stock exhaust and cut off the stock cats.
I am about to begin putting on the Corsa system. I ordered a pair of Random Tech Cats, but the 2.5 inch inlet reducers were left out of the box, so JonB is supposed to be having them overnighted. I should get them in tomorrow.
I plan on leaving the side covers off, and driving to a local muffler shop to have the cats welded.
Here are a few pics of the progress...

You must be registered for see images

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same setup on my GTS. Say goodby to cabin drone! Nice noisy idle and all heck breaks loose above 3000 rpm!!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to believe that those teeeeeeny cats do what those monster stock ones do!

Chris you have a pm

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chris,

You may want to rethink where you are placing your jacks. It looks like you have the rear trailing part of the frame on jacks. From what understand that is not a good place for them and could cause the frame to bend there with all that weight. I don't think there is much support in that area for jacks. I thought I would let ya know.

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on leaving the side covers off, and driving to a local muffler shop to have the cats welded.

Exactly what I did. I had no problems. In fact the system fit together really well. The Pronto guys welded the cats with only a tip - didn't charge me.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might seem anal, but those reading this in the know...
on the Random Tech cats shown above, does it matter if the cat heat shield is horizontal or vertical?
I guess there is some kind of substrate material in there and was wondering if it matters how it is oriented?

(See this is the kind of goofy sh&t you think about just sitting around on your day off here at the VCA. LOL!!!!!!!)

OP
OP
C

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for teh comments Guys.....

Thanks for the tip ab!

Great pics ViperGTS!

Good question ViperJoe about the cats. I dont know the answer to that.

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have completed my cat back on your twin, All I have to do is reinstall the side panels and I am done! Quit a job! I'm bushed! I am an old fart!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heat (hot air) goes straight up - seems to me that the shield has to be on top and not on the side of the cat...

OP
OP
C

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear kgrif! I plan on finishing it tonight and then taking it in for the cats to be welded first thing in the morning.

How do you like yours so far kgrif?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How hard was it to snake that muffler and long a$$ pipe out through the sill opening?
Do you think it could be done on a lift without the suspension hanging down?
Thanks

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys will love it. I did the exact same install on mine. Absolutely no heat issues what-so-ever. I did mine with less than 1,000 miles on my snake. EASY, EASY installation. It would have been a lot easier if I had the right tool for cutting off the old cats - modification of an old circular saw with a metal cutting blade did the trick just fine.

LOVE THE SOUND - I couldn't be more pleased...

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperjoe,
I posted this a few days ago in a similar post. You don't need a lift, although it would be easier. Here is what I posted:
"One more; when putting in the rear muffler section and putting the exhaust tips through the rear facia outlet hole, remove as many of the screw-bolts holding the rear facia up as needed to open the hole up. This will make life a lot easier, as it is a tight fit."
Later,

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys will love it. I did the exact same install on mine. Absolutely no heat issues what-so-ever. I did mine with less than 1,000 miles on my snake. EASY, EASY installation. It would have been a lot easier if I had the right tool for cutting off the old cats - modification of an old circular saw with a metal cutting blade did the trick just fine.

LOVE THE SOUND - I couldn't be more pleased...

When you say NO heat issue, does it still get hot in the cab? I have those cats/corsa/bellanger headers and is gets super hot in the cabin still. The sills are not but not as hot as they were. Are you talking about the sills not getting hot or the car in general.

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say NO heat issue, does it still get hot in the cab? I have those cats/corsa/bellanger headers and is gets super hot in the cabin still. The sills are not but not as hot as they were. Are you talking about the sills not getting hot or the car in general.

I mean absolutely NO heat issues at all. Even in Dallas. The only time it gets hot in the cabin is when I have the top off and it's 100 degrees with the sun beating down. But it's not from the car - it just gets dang hot with the sun beating down on you when it's over 100.

I've done a lot of driving and have yet to understand the heat "issue" as related to my snake. My car just doesn't have it. I've driven to Wichita a few times (320 miles one way) and never had the inside get hot. The A/C had no problem keeping things very cool. There are times when I can "feel" or tell that the firewall is warmer down by my feet (when I'm running it pretty good), but the A/C has no problem compensating for the heat build-up.

Not sure why - I just don't have them. I assumed it was due to the high-flow cats and keeping the heat off the sides.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean absolutely NO heat issues at all. Even in Dallas. The only time it gets hot in the cabin is when I have the top off and it's 100 degrees with the sun beating down. But it's not from the car - it just gets dang hot with the sun beating down on you when it's over 100.

I've done a lot of driving and have yet to understand the heat "issue" as related to my snake. My car just doesn't have it. I've driven to Wichita a few times (320 miles one way) and never had the inside get hot. The A/C had no problem keeping things very cool. There are times when I can "feel" or tell that the firewall is warmer down by my feet (when I'm running it pretty good), but the A/C has no problem compensating for the heat build-up.

Not sure why - I just don't have them. I assumed it was due to the high-flow cats and keeping the heat off the sides.

Man. My car is super hot in the cab. When I did the S/C I put in a 180 degree T-stat. I understand that this will only help with engine temp with proper ventilation but the cab gets ungodly hot inside.

Im talking NO a/c. Sure the AC cools it off but I like windows down.

Very strange that yours would be cool and mine would get so hot with basically the same exhaust mods.

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sapphire, what year is your Viper? Does that make a difference?

I was really worried about the heat issue before buying a viper. I had heard about it from a lot of sources, all the articles and research stressed the heat problem. I was really concerned with combining the Dallas heat.

However, it didn't materialize in my case.

If they are not the same years maybe Dodge did something to help out the heat problem. Mine is a 2002.

Anybody know whether Dodge made any special enhancements depending on the year?

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is an 02. It hasent been very warm around here so I cant tell if the Roe Blower is going to help or make the problem worse.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperjoe,
I posted this a few days ago in a similar post. You don't need a lift, although it would be easier.

Don, you misunderstood my post. I HAVE a lift, but it is a drive on and does NOT alow for the suspension to "hang" free.
I was wondering by looking at the sill muffler and that long a$$ pipe how difficult was it to hold your mouth just right anf get it out WITH the suspension in compression.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4