Pics please of Sub mounting location in an rt10

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my radio, speakers and amp. I replaced the center channel sub but it still *****. (Distortion) What are the options for mounting a decent sub? I think someone had one in the passenger foot well. I guess you could go in the trunk, but then you lose the little room you have and prob can't carry a soft top. I was also considering this http://www.wickedcas.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=4 for $600. Oh yeah, if you could give a price on just what the sub enclosure and speaker cost would be cool. Pics would be cool.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I left the door speakers, which sound OK, but the rear subs really sucked. Unfortunately they run them full range. When I removed them they actually look to be decent speakers (Alpine), but only if running bass, and I suspect they won't handle a lot. I replaced mine with Sound Stream 6.5 Components. They mount right to the factory speaker box (also a good location to mount the cross-over boxes). I surface mounted the tweeters with nice angled tweeter mounts, and used velcro to mount them to the rear panel. They're at a perfect location just slightly away from your head, with the tweaters at ear level. Thes components are 3ohms, so they squeeze a little more power from the Alpine factory amp (probably about 40watts per side). It sounds good (it's not going to win any competitions though) until you get up to freeway speeds. Then I don't think it matters what system you have, it won't sound great. So moral of the story, don't spend a fortune on a sound system for a RT/10 :)

Cal

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where in NY/CT are you? If you want to drive over to Stamford CT you can take a look and listen to my system. I have the Wicked Cas 10" sub Box installed. It will add base to your system. Also gives your back a nice massage.

7827Picture5-med.jpg

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres a few pics of the passenger floorboard sub enclosure. I've heard this in person, and IMO, it makes a big difference.

5580DSC00509.JPG

5580DSC00508.JPG

5580All_Pictures_3-22-03_086.jpg

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put a sub in the trunk you'll have vibration and crappy trunk rattling like all the little ricers you see on the road. Also, you won't feel the bass very well.

The only other option is the passenger footwell (shown very well above). You still can't get much out of it but it's your best shot.

You've got door speakers and the center speakers. Ditch the boom boom bass bug you have and invest in some really good high frequency speakers for your doors. In the center invest in a really well round mid/high range speaker(s). Back this up with a decent amp that can power these high/mids. The music will sound great.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres a few pics of the passenger floorboard sub enclosure. I've heard this in person, and IMO, it makes a big difference.

5580DSC00509.JPG

5580DSC00508.JPG

5580All_Pictures_3-22-03_086.jpg

That looks familar!

It sounds great too!

smfettig

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Need4speed,

How would you rate the wicked box?
a) speechless
b) impressed
c) its ok
d) over priced for what you got

How much more space does the wicked box take up as compared to the normal set up? I ask because I see that it sits quite a bit forward. With it extending forward so far does it get in the way of shifting or resting your arm on the cener counsel?

What type of speaker and amp did they hook you up with?
Sorry to be such a pain, but I've been looking for something like this for sometime and was not impressed with what the local dealers could do.

One last question, does the company you bought this from ship to customers and let them install if located out of state???

Thanks,

Steve

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't even bother putting anything in the trunk or in the center console. If you want bass put an 8" or a 10" in the footwell. Make sure and buy a brand and model of subwoofer that requires as LITTLE of air space (size of box) as possible at peak performance. ALso remember bass NEEDS surfaces to bounce off of to sound good so going ******* definatly defeats the purpose. Putting the hardtop on dramitically increases your bass also.. ;) Good Luck!

Gerald

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would rate it as b)impressed. It wont knock your socks off bass but it will give you a solid thump. The Cas Box does not extend out that much further than the stock one. I never hit it once when shifting, it never gets in the way at all. In fact I never even notice it there now. Unless your an RT/10 owner, you wont know that its not stock. Everyone that has seen it thinks it came from the factory that way. It was cast off an existing RT console and just pushed out a few inches to incorporate more volume. I have a Eclipse 10" sub in there being powered by an Rockford punch 150 pushing 300W to it. Its more than enough needed to drive it. Being that the sub is relatively close to you you will feel the vibrations when you crank it up. It gives you a sense of power from this thing. Remember this sub is enclosed and reverse mounted firing backwards so it is bouncing off of the rear then coming forward. The speaker grill is just for show, it is not vented. Wicked Cas ships the sub to you and they wrap it well. You can install it yourself or have any shop do it for you. They will build the sub to your specifications (close to stock as possible or added Bling) I opted for the stock look. Nazar at Wicked Cas is very helpful and will offer you as much advice as possible.

Overall, with this thing, your system is way ahead of the stock one. Even with the top off you can appreciate nice bass but then again my entire system is upgraded with 6.5's in the doors.

My advice in buying the sub box... Negotiate. I had a budget because my entire system was getting upgraded and its not like an RT/10 console sub gets sold there everyday. Just be fair. They are willing to work with you. (but you didn't hear this part from me if you know what I mean)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21