Please help me identify this engine noise...

BJG32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I am having an issue with my 2004 SRT-10. So far it is just a noise that sounds like a tornado siren. It lasts for about 5 seconds then goes away until the next cold start (at least 24 hours or so)

here is a video of the noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hbQU2ZPfT4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hbQU2ZPfT4

Facts:
  • Only happens at a cold start.
  • No turbo/super charger on the car.
  • Seems like it is coming from the power steering pump area
  • Added ATF4. fluid is not low.
  • No noticiable performance decrease (steering etc)...yet.

Any help/guidance is appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've heard a similar noise on my 04 from time to time. Haven't heard it lately, but I know what you're talking about. Strange whine on first start that goes away pretty quickly.

OP
OP
B

BJG32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope...It can't be that. I still have the OEM whistles installed. ;)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wow... thats a weird one. It sounds like a first order harmonic, perhaps half order. It sounds vacuum related, or metal/metal, very hard to tell from the video. I would look at the following:

1. Intake manifold gasket leaks causing a whistle- unlikely however with the way the harmonic changes. Usually more constant.

2. Check the clutch cover plate for flywheel contact. Usually more of a "grinding", but have heard similar before in rare light contact case.

3. To eliminate all front accessory/belts/etc, remove the belt and start engine for no more than a few seconds. If it stops, check all accessories/belt.

4. If internal engine, I would be looking at valvetrain components.

5. Does it sound like it is coming from the clutch area? Internal engine? A location would help a LOT.

tv9746

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dan for the suggestions. I'm hoping for the best. It does sound internal coming from the top of intake towards the firewall. I'll get underneath it to check the clutch cover plate.

TheOldViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow... thats a weird one. It sounds like a first order harmonic, perhaps half order. It sounds vacuum related, or metal/metal, very hard to tell from the video. I would look at the following:

1. Intake manifold gasket leaks causing a whistle- unlikely however with the way the harmonic changes. Usually more constant.

2. Check the clutch cover plate for flywheel contact. Usually more of a "grinding", but have heard similar before in rare light contact case.

3. To eliminate all front accessory/belts/etc, remove the belt and start engine for no more than a few seconds. If it stops, check all accessories/belt.

4. If internal engine, I would be looking at valvetrain components.

5. Does it sound like it is coming from the clutch area? Internal engine? A location would help a LOT.

I'm voting on #3.
Hopefully - Tension pulley?
Before removing belt, you might try to get a few drops of oil on the pulley bearing when hot.
Then see if it happens on next cold start.
BillyC

dtvtech

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The video wasn't long enough... question does the noise change pitch if you rev the engine slightly? or does it stay constant? Personally it sounds like a bearing going bad .... belt tensioner is my bet too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang