Please Help: Would love to find my car's original owner

Vpr898

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Edit: Maybe this isn't coming off the way I intended, but I'm not upset or disgruntled. Quite the opposite! I want to ask questions, learn history, maybe hear some stories, maybe purchase anything like parts or documents that were found after the original owner let the car go.

I’m looking for the original owner of my 1996 GTS, VIN: 1B3ER69E0TV200415.

It was sold new on 11/26/1996 at Clarke Dodge (Clarke Auto) in Mentor, OH which I believe has been succeeded by Ganley Village Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram FIAT as it appears that Clarke is no longer in business. It was sold new as a corporate vehicle and later purchased privately in 2008 by the original owner from his/her corporation, through which he/she had purchased the car new, or so I was told.

It was serviced at Leikin Motors in Willoughby, OH and Junction Dodge (Junction Auto Sales) in Chardon, OH.

It was finally traded in at Leikin Motors in Willoughby, OH, specifically Leikin Mercedes-Benz in 2015. I was told that the owner traded the car in towards a new S Class. I purchased the car in August of 2015 from Leikin with about 7,600 miles on it.

I’m quite late asking for help with this search, as I’ve owned the car now for four years. But I haven’t had any luck with Leikin and the trail has gone cold. I’m hoping that this information triggers a memory and I can be put in touch with the original owner. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Shaggy

Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I’m looking for the original owner of my 1996 GTS, VIN: 1B3ER69E0TV200415.

It was sold new on 11/26/1996 at Clarke Dodge (Clarke Auto) in Mentor, OH which I believe has been succeeded by Ganley Village Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram FIAT as it appears that Clarke is no longer in business. It was sold new as a corporate vehicle and later purchased privately in 2008 by the original owner from his corporation, through which he had purchased the car new, or so I was told.

It was serviced at Leikin Motors in Willoughby, OH and Junction Dodge (Junction Auto Sales) in Chardon, OH.

It was finally traded in at Leikin Motors in Willoughby, OH, specifically Leikin Mercedes-Benz in 2015. I was told that the owner traded the car in towards a new S Class. I purchased the car in August of 2015 from Leikin with about 7,600 miles on it.

I’m quite late asking for help with this search, as I’ve owned the car now for four years. But I haven’t had any luck with Leikin and the trail has gone cold. I’m hoping that this information triggers a memory and I can be put in touch with the original owner. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Curious to way you want to know the original owner? Is there something up with the car, or just would like to get all the info about the car if you can?

OP
OP
Vpr898

Vpr898

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Curious to way you want to know the original owner? Is there something up with the car, or just would like to get all the info about the car if you can?

I have a few questions about the car that I'd love to have answered, and the original owner's the only person who could I'm afraid. And aside form that, I'd love to have all the info, like you said. I know the original owner of my Gen V pretty well and have been surprised by the stories, pictures, and documents he's been able to provide. That's all I'm really hoping for.

Last edited:

ILLMAX1

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hope you can track him/her down. Oddly enough, I grew up in Mentor and graduated from Willoughby South High back in '89.

Daniel SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine had 2 previous owners. I tracked one owner down by a aftermarket part, got there name then looked up the state they lived then cross referenced with the VIN other then making a phone call to the place that made the aftermarket part all was done online without spending a dime. I would contact the other owner but there is no point, I obtained all the info I needed from the one I spoke with. If you need assistance and it’s that important I suggest a PI, they can find the information surprising easy.

Purple Haze

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May be a long shot but there is a guy here in LaGrange, Ohio, not that far from Mentor that at one time owned several Vipers. I believe he had one just like that. He was a local builder and a friend of mine. Calvin Smith many knew him. I could ask him if it's OK to contact you or google his name easy to find....

97BlueWhite4Sale

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there,
I just sold my ‘97 GTS blue/white stripes and may have some items you might be interested in such as: new transmission never been in a vehicle, Viper logo leather jackets; his and hers with his new and only one signed by Bob Lutz, new Viper logo leather gym bag, new Viper blue leather bra + chin guard, and two new Viper blue car covers. All of these items have long since been discontinued. If interested, please contact me at [email protected]. Thanks, Patrick

daveat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your dealer should be able to help you... although technically that information is prohibited from being shared... But fwiw I see that VIN as being originally sold by Galena Chrysler of Galena IL... Although sometimes dealer trades and what not change things like that around.
Your service info of Clarke and Junction seem accurate.

hlieber50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I think I have good news for you. My friend's father in law owned Village Chrysler Plymouth Dodge Jeep during that period of time. He says the guy purchased 3 Vipers from him. He said he is a German named David Bowers. Village Dodge is in Painesville Ohio, so if the car fax gives you a county of registration I can help with cities located within that county. The largest would be Lake County and Mentor would be the city.

hlieber50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
,,,---☆☆za,•☆☆☆Z,---,@plllllllll0p00o0p0000099000909ppppp099009099900llllll9909

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine actually came with the bill of sale or receipt or whatever it is called in California. Kind of cool. I didn't contact them yet, but I do have intention to. Good luck with the hunt though. I really wish I could track my old Stang down though

OP
OP
Vpr898

Vpr898

Viper Owner
Reaction score
May be a long shot but there is a guy here in LaGrange, Ohio, not that far from Mentor that at one time owned several Vipers. I believe he had one just like that. He was a local builder and a friend of mine. Calvin Smith many knew him. I could ask him if it's OK to contact you or google his name easy to find....

That would be great, would you mind contacting him for me?

Hi, I think I have good news for you. My friend's father in law owned Village Chrysler Plymouth Dodge Jeep during that period of time. He says the guy purchased 3 Vipers from him. He said he is a German named David Bowers. Village Dodge is in Painesville Ohio, so if the car fax gives you a county of registration I can help with cities located within that county. The largest would be Lake County and Mentor would be the city.

I have the CarFax report, would it be helpful if I sent it to you?

Narrowing down to maybe a Calvin Smith or a David Bowers/Bower/Bauer, I'm getting closer, thanks guys!

Recluse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but OP- did you find what you were looking for?

OP
OP
Vpr898

Vpr898

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sadly nothing new learned. And I don't have the original sticker. All I (think) I know is that the original owner leased the car through his business and then bought it from his business. Then I believe he traded the car in at Leikin Mercedes in Willoughby, OH on an S-Class in 2015, which is where I found it. And that's all I know. I was too excited, distracted, and naive at the time to ask the dealer for more information.

Last edited:

Recluse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Some new information that may help you to narrow it down- Calvin Smith from Lagrange passed away back in December. I live nearby, but I never knew him or participated in any Ohio events. Over the weekend, his heirs held a garage sale and I picked up everything viper-related that was there. One of the pieces I purchased was a signed Cleworth print of a 97 GTS with a plaque showing the last four digits of the VIN number 1196. I'm assuming that was tied to Calvin's car and so therefore his car would not be yours.

I am interested in tracking that car down to see if the owner would like this print to go with it, so I'm in roughly the same search you are. Thanks to some help from others, I believe the full VIN number is probably 1B3ER69E0VV301196.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supposedly they didn't make 1,196 in 96 but made only 1,128.
Thats a rumor however. I cant verify that, maybe some else can.