What tires did Paul run at OTC?
Is the suspension "streetable"?
What brake pads on the StopTech brakes?

Thanks.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: PMUM\'s Car Setup (paging PMUM)

Paul mentioned that he wouldn't tell ANYONE what his setup is, so if you find out, please email me.
supergrin.gif

Is it streetable? HAH! I almost SOLD my ACR in the first month becuase of the INTOLERABLE ride. Then I figured out all the shocks were on their harshest setting. I turned them down.

Boy did THAT make a difference.

I think he mentioned also he runs the Pagid pads.

OT Challenge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do not use the tires we used at OTC for anything other than daily commuting. They were Pirelli P-Zeros and they were horrible. We actually saved the stock ACR Michelins to click off our last ditch attempt hot laps every day.

The car rode well. I put about 1700 miles on his car last week and it was cake work even with the Sparco race seat. With the stock seat, I dare say it would be "plush".

Erik Messley does all the suspension work and is arguably the best at such work. You can hit him at [email protected] if Mumford doesn't surface with the specifics.

Don't know what the pads were but they did very well on the track and were able to heat up appropriately on the street. I was kinda scared at the latter probability, but they never once failed cold when we hit town.

I don't know if there is a better performing street car out there and it will mock any of that B-list hardware in the silly Ultimate Street Car Shootout put on by SportCompact.

Brian Provost
--Director, OTC and ACR Chauffeur Extraordinaire

OP
OP
S

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not so much how he setups the suspension, but more what parts he is using...
smile.gif

Plus, even if he tells me the complete setup, I will still be slow.

OT Challenge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PS. Having just sold my Lexus LS400, I can assure you my rear end can gauge pillowy, fluffy ride comfort. While Todd's rear end may just not have agreed with a stock ACR, PMUM's car was so utterly comfy for a car that is that capable it felt like the Lexus compared to some of the other less capable cars that have to spring rate themselves to death to aspire to any modicum of handling. Your mileage may vary, but it was more than tolerable and it laid a bunch of wood on the track.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To answer some of your questions:

Erik Messley installed 3 way adjustable Penskes in the car, then Erik and I have gone through about a dozen springs and a zillion shock setting until we got the car perfect. I highly suggest that anybody who has any intentions on going faster contact him.

The best true street tire combination that you can use on a Viper is a 315/18 Pirelli PZero Rossa (NOT an Asymetricco--that is the worst tire known to man--I doubt even Adelberg would use it) front with a 335/17 MXX3 rear (Pilot Sports are also pretty good). I have to thank John Purner at Complete Custom Wheel who sent us a truckload of tires and allowed us to return what we didn't use. He stocks every imaginable tire for a Viper (including Hoosiers) and sells them at the same price as Tire Rack.

I think Brian's testimony more than shows the car is streetable. The final spring rates are much softer than the stock ACR rates and the car handles infinitely better.

I have the amazing Stop-Tech 4 wheel kit and was running Brakeman 3 pads all week (until the very end). They were much more linear than the Pagid pads that I originally ran.

Hope this helps.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Erik's Penske setup is the best. Period.

Stiff is not the answer. Compliant with just the right amount of firmness is.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Smack Time!

Well, Mumford is a great driver, but that car is not all that close to the factory set up. It aint no cream puff. Even John Deering could make that car look fast against other creampuffs.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I don't know if there is a better performing street car out there and it will mock any of that B-list hardware in the silly Ultimate Street Car Shootout put on by SportCompact.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hey! I resemble that remark -- look at entry #16 (my DLM S/C RT10). Granted Mumford will have a serious advantage on the roadcourse, but he's waaaay down on horsepower for some of the other parts of the shootout.

Back on topic -- what about the Kuhmo V700s as a performance "street" tire? They do actually have tread, they're cheap, and they purportedly stick better than the Michelin Pilot/MXX3s...

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've heard good things about the V700s, but their sizes ****. I've heard through the grapevine that they'll be adding additional sizes soon so that tire may be an upcoming alternative. Another would be the Michelin Sport Cup, again, assuming Michelin starts making it in the sizes we need. For price though, the Kumhos look **** attractive at half the price of the Michelins.

OT Challenge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No crap intended towards you, Ben. You'll probably hold your own but any event that was won by James Chen's Modena doesn't place a premium on high horsepower. Mumford's motor isn't exactly stock, but by no means should it run with yours at the strip. I'd bet it clicks off 127-130mph trap speeds pretty easily if the elevation is not too crazy. I was really impressed with that motor.

The V700's are ok if you're allowed to use them and you can get sizes. Heavy but pretty grippy for what they are. The Pilot Sport Cups don't come in anything over the 285 sized fronts, which aren't enough for big boy cars. When they get to temp, they are absolutely money as we found out at OTC with a few cars. Your best bet is Hoosiers on the road course stuff and bust out the ET Streets when it comes time for the right-pedal slamathon.

At any rate, good luck to both of you. If any of these guys get to loud, have them talk to me about running OTC next year. WOT for 7 days at a time against A-list drivers probably says something about "ultimate street cars". Maybe I'll mix in a drift competition and some import girls for the Spring Break effect.
smile.gif

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

None really taken, Brian
smile.gif
My RT's really a street/strip car, but I'll be doing what I can to make it work well for the roadcourse segments as well.

Interestingly, in reviewing last year's USCC results, the contests in which there was a large points skew were: 0-60 times (Vipers will beat everything but 4WD cars), Fuel economy (not so good for us snakes), Dyno tests (no problemo), Emissions (my car's got cats, not sure about Mumford's), and Driveability (Vipers will be OK, not tops). In the other tests, less than 20 points (out of 100) separated 1st and 5th places.

It'll be very interesting to see what venues SCC chooses this time; the magazine in general is focused on drag racing and (recently) rallying, so I'm expecting to see a bit more emphasis on horsepower and handling and a bit less on fuel economy...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi