Poll - How much interest in this good "bang for the buck" brake upgrade?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poll - How much interest in this good \"bang for the buck\" brake upgrade?

Howdy. Many of you have seen and commented on the 38mm and 40mm rear brake caliper upgrade using the OEM 36mm caliper.

rear brake upgrade
brake upgrade update

And lots of members are still asking how to improve Viper brakes. So, I have a proposal or question for all of you: how much interest do you all have in being able to purchase assembled 38mm or 40mm rear calipers?

One current brake option is a two wheel caliper and rotor system from a reputable company that has done lots of work to get it right. The front caliper system sizes the pistons smaller to balance the front and rear braking torque (fixing the front lock-up problem.) The rotors in the package are designed to improve heat rejection. The front caliper system (calipers, rotors, brake lines, brake pads) lists for $2295 on their website.

Another option is a rear brake purchase from another one of the reputable companies. This puts a two-piston caliper on the rear to increase the rear brake torque, therefore balancing front to rear braking. But it requires the removal of the OEM brake caliper mounts (no going back) and eliminates the parking brake (state inspection issue?) Adding back a parking brake adds a little weight. This system lists for $880 on their website.

Here is a possible third option: an OEM caliper conversion to 38mm (which matches the piston front-to-rear size ratio of the first vendor) or a 40mm conversion (which just barely may require an adjustable proportioning valve) either for the same price. The plusses are that the converted caliper would obviously work with the OEM rotor or any other rear rotor that already fits; uses OEM brake pad sizes, so you don't have to throw anything away or look for other pads; uses OEM brake hoses; looks absolutely OEM, does not require any changes to the hub or spindle; does not require any special instructions - if you can take the old ones off, you can put the new ones on; uses Brembo dust boots, seals, etc, so you can always rebuild them if needed; and has a modern tapered brake seal groove design for OEM piston retraction and sealing characteristics.

In my track, AX, and street experience, the 40mm is hugely better than the 36mm stock size. Using Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, I've never boiled the front or rear fluid with only minor brake cooling (Porsche deflectors or simple hose ducts.) Ummm... I guess that counts as a testimonial.

On the negative side, the caliper heat rejection rates are the same of the OEM body, so the caliper won't pass heat as well as a larger rear caliper body might. However, since better pads and better rotors are probably the bigger effects on caliper temperature, this might be minor. Also a negative - these calipers look as dull as the day they came off the 1990 vintage Eagle Premier they were taken from.

A few people have taken the plunge and tried a loaner set from me, bought a pair from me, and like Nadine, had their own set made locally. Now with a little experience, the machine shop would love to do more, and I think it's a pretty cool design, too. I am estimating that I could produce conversions to either 38mm or 40mm for under $600 if you supply the calipers and just over $800 if I supply the calipers.

Finally, here's your homework:
Tell me if this sounds like a reasonable price.
Tell me if you think the caliper design idea is good, safe, risky, or whatever.
Ask me questions that I can ask PVO - I'm going to the PVO-VCA AX in Chelsea this weekend and I'll see if they can provide some input.

Depending on what everyone says, maybe I'll give this a try. After October 9 (this date would be a clue to those in the oil biz) I'll be unemployed and looking for a "working" vacation. Email me, PM me, or post and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

PS Many thanks that I can't yet repay to Nadine. Her work on her caliper conversion made this go from a one or two-off concept to a production quality piece.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Poll - How much interest in this good

sounds like a fair price to me but im new to this stuff.

my only concern for you, would be insurance. you are modifying a part for a brake system, thats gotta be a touchy subject for lawyers.

JMO

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom,

I have been waiting for you to finally make this upgrade a simple purchase. Have had friends who frequent wrecking yards looking for the rear calipers but they have yet to find me a set.

The price of $800.00 seems fair if it complete.

Only thing I would be concerned with is your liability if this shop makes a bad break rebuild. It could come back to haunt you for a long time if someone were to hurt them selves while using this mod.

Now I have no reason to suspect that this would ever happen, but it is what I would be worried about if it was my product.

Good luck

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom,

I will buy it, the braking system on the pre-ABS Vipers is downright dangerous, the front lock up way too early.

Luc.
00GTS

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score

$500.00 with a refundable core chare of $300.00 would get me in.

Although I have read your posts on it over and over I still am not clear on if this is a strong advantage for the 2000 and up cars. Are my rears already at 38mm? If so does 40MM offer a tangable improvement? I would love to improve my breaking bias but if the improvement is not dramatic I would be hesitant to do the mod.

BTW: Tom your information has always been excellent. I appreicate your contribution to my knowledge of my viper!

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom (sorry to read about the unemployment, best wishes); I can't repay the thanks to you for having the idea, and doing the unknown, trying it against all odds, then bringing it to us complete with color pics and info on how to do it, even down to part #s for seals etc. Thanks for all the advice and help you gave me to make it possible. Having done it and been through a couple of sets of calipers (!) in the process of working with the machine shop I went to, to in the end get it right...I would advise anyone interested to go with a set made by Tom and an already experienced machine shop in cutting them. There are so many factors involved that are very time consuming if you're taking it on, to mod the calipers yourself!

For me I was on a budget and wanted to keep my OE 17" rims, so the Stoptech big brake kit was not an option (only for 18"+). I wanted / needed more rear braking bias. I liked the idea of keeping the OE caliper and not running two rear calipers each wheel (separate parkbrake caliper). I liked the fact I could use something I already had, but just make it better. I found only one tuner that offered a larger rear upgrade kit, and that was discontinued when I enquired about purchasing it a year ago.

The price idea you are quoting I will say is a very good price based on my experience of what it actually cost me to do. To cover yourself over the issue of supplying modifiyed parts, would it be an idea for 'customers' to sign a waiver to say they understand they are buying a modified part that they fit at their own risk, and you accept no responsibility for their fitment?

If it appeals to you, winter is coming, here's the chance to impove on your brakes ready for next summer. I've yet to track my 40mm mod rears, I'm keen to asap. I demonstrated a stop to the point of engaging a lock-up to another UK member, who was impressed on all 4 locking (clutch out). Stoping my Viper is much improved, besides greater brake power, the pedal is easyer to modulate at the point of lock-up now.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom, Off topic but do you know who else is going to the autocross this weekend ? Myself and Steven Rosonina will be there autocrossing ..... Mike Robbins from Ringgold Dodge is also coming with us. I was wondering who was coming from the other zones. Let's kick some PVO butt !!! Any PVO guys on here ? Let's start some smack :)

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Monnieh, you're cheap, so I like you. Non-ABS calipers are all 36mm single piston floaters. The ABS caliper is 43mm of a completely different design - won't even fit under a 17" rim. The 38mm size will provide the same performance as the front caliper with reduced piston size, which will allow for better braking, but still lock up the fronts first. The 40mm size will just about lock all four wheels at the same time with the clutch engaged, rears will lock first if the clutch is disengaged.

1Tony1, don't know who else is coming. I'm driving to Michigan, so hopefully PVO will let an old Gen 1 run, too. I was 3 seconds quicker than the yellow car....

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Finally, here's your homework:

Tell me if this sounds like a reasonable price.
- Yes (I'm in, 38mm)

Tell me if you think the caliper design idea is good, safe, risky, or whatever. - Seems well thought out and well tested and knowing your abilities I'm 100% confident that it's safe. Seems to be the least intrusive, least expensive way to significantly increase GENI / II braking performance. Nice bonus is keeping it looking stock, even if the calipers are ugly!

Ask me questions that I can ask PVO - I'm going to the PVO-VCA AX in Chelsea this weekend and I'll see if they can provide some input. -

1) Why did they bias the front so heavily?
2) Why did they use 36mm rear calipers?
3) Why did they spec a proportioning valve that works better disabled.
4) What do they think of your design... 38mm, 40mm and most importantly the concept of disabling the prop valve and it's effect on a street used vehicle?
(Probably the same answer for all above)

My questions...

1) Though I can't think of one, but is there any reason why this mod wouldn't be good for a street driven vehicle?
2) What is the impact of going to 38mm and NOT disabling the prop valve on the street or the track?
3) Do 285 front tires significantly change bias requirements vs stock 275?

Lastly, I think a well drafted disclaimer might cover liability, say something modeled after what other aftermarket brake companies do. In addition, what if there was a minor bit of "self assembly" required before install? Would the "kit" like nature offer any liability protection perhaps?

Thanks Tom for all your work on this!!!