POLL: Viper owners have or getting a Z06 also ???

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want a Z06. Have a 00GTS. Also ordered a 03 Convertible. Thinking I might get the 03 Viper(if Chrysler and the Viper is still alive) and trade the 00GTS for a Z06. HOG HEAVEN!!!

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 GTS and my wife and I have just ordered a Millenium yellow Z06 from a dealer in Alabama. I called many dealers and theoretically this dealer has some allocations coming up over the next few months. We don't have a build date yet, so we are just sort of settled in and ready to wait. Now, if I could only determine if the 2002 Z06 will have more horsepower, I might change my order to a 2002.

Jim

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously you already know about me....

BTW, 1900 miles and the Z06 is now running 12.8 sec quarter miles. Still can't break under 2.0 sec 60 ft time though, so I don't know what my problem is, especially since I can achieve what I consider pretty decent 0-60 times....

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't want a Z06 if you gave it to me...then again I'd sell it and buy a hemicar! I am a Mopar guy from head to toe and that's all I have ever owned...and will ever own. I think most Viper owners are of a different breed...as opposed to true Mopar guys. Brand loyalty is important to me and Mopar people.

I bought the Viper because it was a DODGE and it was the first RWD "musclecar" since the performance heydays of the late 60's and early 70's, even though I hadn't been born until a few years later!

I know this is a message board but here is my last opinion...I hate Chevies and Fords and especially dislike all imported cars. It is a long story, one not suitable for this place or time...

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are way, way to many late model vetts around here for me to consider buying one no matter how it performed.

Your question reminds me of an incident that occured at our IL-VCA meeting in August. The parking lot had about 15 Vipers all in a row and a guy with a bran new (window sticker clearly visible) C5 came through real slow. One of the guys asked if any of us whoule have done that driving past 15 new vetts. Then the guy turned around and came back through again for another look.

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

As you know Darth I have and LOVE 'EM BOTH! They're both equally good in their own ways.

I opted to drive the Z06 this (and last) weekend in the Viper Days TWS and Finals and without bragging, must say that I gave some Vipers a real run for the money. The first day on the track was kind of bad since I was having trouble getting the tire pressures correct but the second day was great! We had a terrible time keeping a transponder on the car so I was only officially timed maybe 1/3 of the time. The official time was 1:27.2 but many unofficial times were 1:25.2's and even one 1:24.8 but I'm going to err on the safe side and not brag about that one. I took 5th of 14 (I think) and some of them were big horsepower cars with similar setups.

The Z06 is so capable in the corners and in braking that it's easy to drive really hard onto a Viper in the corners (saw the whites of many eyes in the rear view) and even scared a couple off the track (oops).

The bottom line for me is that it's really easy to love _BOTH_ of the cars. You guys that are so strict about the Corvette should, just for fairness, drive one. I'll bet you'll like it too.

My .02, Tittle

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no not me.....never....scene one3 vette you scene em all...no i have two vipers.....and when the new 2003 comes out that will be my third one....vettes...blah...vipers rule.

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I needed a "winter ******", but didnt want to give up driving a sports car.... So, I went out and picked up a 2001 Vette Coupe (Black)... While I've owned 3 Vipers and make the Viper the centerpiece of The Extreme Bikini Team - I dont have any problems with this car (well, only driving it 40 miles so far)...

Nice thing is I can drive it to the airport or in any weather and not really care....

The Extreme Bikini Team

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BamBam- sorry to hear that you had so much grief with your C5,
but I would disagree with you on the POS evaluation. I have had
my C5, purchased new, about a year and put 11,000 miles on it so far. Other than the repairs necessary from a fender-bender it has not had any repairs, and even after the accident, is completely squeak-free.

I am very happy with my C5 and also very happy with my '97 Viper RT (and the '96 Viper RT that I had too)! Both cars that America can be proud of...

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost forgot to add: you guys are right about the treatment you get for service- my Corvette is pretty much just another Chevy to the dealerships, but the Vipers are treated at least with slightly more respect than the rest of the Dodges in my experience.

OP
OP
F

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh. I have had basically nothing but Mopar over many years. After I posted that a Z06 would nice next to the Viper, I felt like saying "Bless me Father, for I have sinned -----". Maybe I need to repent.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank,

That'll be 6 Hail Marys 6 Our Fathers and required attendance at the Mopar Nationals in Columbus, Ohio next August. I'll see you there!

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got rid of my 99 C5. I was originally going for a 01 Z06 in a three-car deal with two buddies of mine... Long story short, the dealer could only get their hands on two of the three cars. After a month of waiting and driving one of their loaner cars, I took my C5 back and went and got my self a 99 GTS with 500 miles on it.

All I know is my buddies look very sad every time they get out of the driver's seat of my Viper. Not that the Z06 does not deliver, it just does it in a different way. The Z06 seems more refined and polished. Its acceleration seems more effortless when you nail it. The Viper gets there on BRUTE FORCE with lots of power and rubber. It simply offers a more <FONT COLOR="red">heart stopping</FONT c> delivery of its power, which makes it more exciting to drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187