Poor quality leather on driver's seat

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poor quality leather on driver\'s seat

Hey guys,

I have had my GTS since June. I have copies of all of the service work done to this car provided by the PO. The leather on the driver's seat on the outside of the bolster that runs vertically from top to bottom of seat (closest to the door) was replaced at 3700 miles under warranty. Now the car has 10,500 miles on it and there are two spots on this same piece that look like scabs on a black monkey's ass. Both are starting to tear open.

Since it is obvious the dealer fix back at 3700 miles was not that great have you guys had the same issue and what are some ideas (permanent) that will work? I would imagine better leather would be a start but I thought someone out there might have a novel idea that would work. Thanks

smashman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Poor quality leather on driver\'s seat

I had mine replaced as well....I think the problem is this...Everytime I exited the car, that is where I put my hand and pushed off to get out, right there on the seat. Eventually, the leather gives and tears from the repeated strain. I now just push off on the inside of the door panel behind the seat to get out, and no more problems.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like a good time to do some custom upholstery work!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You want to get ahold of Chad at Snakehydes ([email protected] or 850-209-3133). The outside of the seat is not leather, it's vinyl. Only the center of the stock seats are leather.

OP
OP
M

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks 99 R/T 10....I just dashed off an email to him. Have you seen his blog on MY Space?........it's pretty cool.

Mark

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I noticed that GenII's have cheaper leather than Gen1's. I test drove a 98' and noticed right away that the newer leather was more beat than all the gen1's. Don't know why Dodge would skimp out on something they had right.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My Gen 1 with 61,100 on it..... And I took care of it. (driver's side.)

416Leather-med.JPG

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow. I have almost 40K on my car and I am very happy that it is not worse. I think the SRTs are A LOT worse with wear. Seems like as soon as you sit in them they get marks. Good luck with the custom work. I have heard nothing but good things.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey guys,

I have had my GTS since June. I have copies of all of the service work done to this car provided by the PO. The leather on the driver's seat on the outside of the bolster that runs vertically from top to bottom of seat (closest to the door) was replaced at 3700 miles under warranty. Now the car has 10,500 miles on it and there are two spots on this same piece that look like scabs on a black monkey's ass. Both are starting to tear open.

When I 1st bought my car, the same piece was worn to a yellowish shade and looked like it could split soon. I had it replaced at a local upholstery shop ($80 I think) and its been fine ever since.

p.s.--did you really say "...look like scabs on a black monkey's ass"? :D

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good argument for the Connelly(sp?)leather option??? I think I'm seeing that in 335's 2001 saph snake. No issues with mine. My 5 cents. Dump the penny.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960