Porsche 911 Turbo, upgraded.

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow - to my experience tonight.

A guy (one of my role models actually) from Ohio came for a visit in Philadelphia this weekend. He drove his car over, so I could go for a ride.

His car - basically, a heavily upgraded Porsche 911 Turbo. He said he has put just under $30,000 of engine work into the car, including the largest turbos available for the Porsche 911 Turbo, larger than the GT2s. He dyno'd the car, and was putting to the ground 515 HP and 525 TQ. Impressive numbers, so onto the ride...

He took me for a half hour spin around the local highways, and man was I impressed. First off, of course the car had amazing grip at any punched speed, because of AWD. He said the rear tires are 295, fronts 275. The gearing was so much more ideal for the car though, this is where it was just so much stronger than my Viper. If I had 3.55 gears, I might be more towards the feel of his car. He was topping third gear at about 95, and this made his power of second and third gear just feel so much stronger. It ripped thru triple digits, much better than my car. In a blink we were at 150mph. He said he can top the car out well into the 200s, but I don't know about that claim. (He at one point said around 220mph, and I know above 200 each mph is a big shove to get there).

He had a timeslip from the track, he ran 11.77. He said he eats Vipers all day long, and has never run into a viper at the track nor road who has come close to him. I know a bunch of you guys would step on this number, but I couldn't myself so I wasn't going to open my mouth.

Lets talk about my Viper now. BONE stock, 1999 RT/10. First- 3.55 gears? Then what? What kind of power adders would you guys suggest for me? Im seriously feeling a need for mods now that this guy came to town and basically pissed on my car. Out of curiousity by the way, what could my car run as it stands now, stock? I've seen some mag reviews at 12.00, or 12.05. I've seen others at mid 12s. Whats the best capability of a stock viper, and where will my Viper be after certain modifications?

I refuse to have a less powerful drag race car than a Porsche. This is not acceptable.

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris;

I'll cut right to it. If you want to bust him, supercharge the car. After that, 3.55s won't matter. We have a bunch of great tuners but my guy, Jason Heffner is in Baltimore so relatively close. http:\\www.heffnersperformance.com. I'm guessing your friend would be impressed with 700-800+RWHP!

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best I've seen a stock 911 Turbo (993tt) do is 11.9. So I'm not impressed on a 11.77 after $30.000 investment... Booorrriiing....
I've seen several stock Gen 2 Vipers do 11.7-11.9, so you just need a set of tires and learn to drive your Viper.

/JP

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best I've seen a stock 911 Turbo (993tt) do is 11.9. So I'm not impressed on a 11.77 after $30.000 investment... Booorrriiing....
I've seen several stock Gen 2 Vipers do 11.7-11.9, so you just need a set of tires and learn to drive your Viper.

/JP
I agree, whoever that person is, he can't drive for crap if he's putting down those numbers and can only run a 11.77, a stock 996tt can easily hit 11.9 in the 1/4.

Plus a member on here who just bought a GT2 ran an 11.5 in the 1/4. A friend of our family's has a 996tt putting out about 700hp and it's seriously fast, the torque at full boost just crushes you, scared the hell out of me the 1st time I went for a ride in it.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Porsche 911 Turbo, upgraded.

saleen-explorer:It's sounds like you want a Viper really bad!!! No suprise so do alot of people.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My stock SRT will run 11.7's all day long. $30K in upgrades? Check this out...
Paolo Castellano just dynoed his Viper with some new tweaks and improvements. The results are just INCREDIBLE!!!

SAE CORRECTED FIGURES ARE:

887.7 RWHP
864.5 RWTQ

Uncorrected HP numbers are 912 RWHP and 888 RWTQ!

Question, how much can a 3.6 liter take before it all goes POW! $$$$$ and how much to make the above HP in a Porsche? I used to be in the Porsche mod business.The owners keep coming back for more! (with the car on a rollback)

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

saleen-explorer:It's sounds like you want a Viper really bad!!! No suprise so do alot of people.
We're still a Porsche family, but we wanted something different this time and after riding in a friends ACR I'm in love. Plus a stock 996 and Viper are about the same price both new and used, but Porsche really needs to give the 996 more power for the $$$.

We're mainly looking at 02' models, gotta have that ABS for the stupid drivers down here lol. And it's going to get driven, ***** though that most of the guys here go to Sebring to run, that's a few hours from me, oh well it'll be worth it.

As for the Porsche, I must have missed the 30k thing, what was done to the car? B/C he could have gone to a company like Promotive or Evo and had much more power for the money, who did he go to for whatever he had done?

OP
OP
C

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He is a very modest guy actually. This isn't someone my age trying to come to town and brag to me about his car. He did say on his 11.77 run (which was like a week ago), his ECU had a problem and was doing a very wrong compression rate which was probably costing him close a hundred in horsepower and torque. (It was still "messed" up when I was in it though. I heard something beeping when he was touching higher speeds, and he was trying to tell me about it).

About the 30k in work. Hear are some things I remember. Autoauthority stage 3 upgrade. Shift kit. 4500$ flywheel (or clutch, Im not sure what he said). Fully aftermarket suspension.

The car did drive like a dream, and was MUCH more powerful than a regular 911. I have never been in a 911 Turbo, but I've been in regular 911. It was such a huge difference between the two.

I must admit, during his acceleration sprints, it was scary to think how badly this car would have pulled by my Viper. I think just, putting the quarter mile numbers aside for a moment, his car would whip me as we stand now. By a longshot. I would honestly be afraid I would get embarressed in front of my friends running versus his car.

He was realistic about the "close to 30k", but it wasn't all in quarter mile performance I guess. I just read that I made a mistake in my first post, when I said "engine work". It was suspension and drivetrain work and whatnot also.

Thanks so far for all the feedback too guys.

OP
OP
C

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok this probably sounds like a stupid question, but how do payments work on a performance package from Heffners? I like the supercharging option and price range. I can maybe afford to pull together 10k in cash, but once we start talking 15k and whatnot, I don't think I can tap into that kind of cash at the current moment.

All payments for these type of upgrades are full cash or what?

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend and what you will use the extra power.

If you want power all the time, your choices are supercharger or twin turbos. Cost = $7K and above depending on which set up you go with. Tuners: DLM, Heffner, Macedo, RSI, Apex, West Coast, DC, etc.

If you want extra power at the strip or only when you need it, then you only need nitrous oxide (NX, BTR, or TOOOFST). For as little as $1k, you'll have more power and a lot more torque than the modded 911TT you rode in.

By the way, with a great driver at a good track, a stock Viper can pull high 11's.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

K & N's, heads, cam and exhaust & retune - the right combo should be good for low to mid 500's rwhp - high 500's if you go wild on the heads and cam. Add 3.55 gears and you'll be in there. Beyond that - big bucks for total motor build up or boost.

There are several tuners that could provide serious power under $20k - call them e.g. I think the DLM stage 1 is under $20k - and that will be more than enough to send the Porsche home.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The low ET might be because he is afraid of breaking something. I used ot hang out a lot at a 911TT site and most were afraid of/didn't recommend running their cars hard from a dead stop due to the 4 wheel drive and concerns about drivetrain strength.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Saleen:I hope you get your Viper as soon as possible remember everyday that goes by it is one less day in paradise for you. So hurry up and get your snake. I'll be eagerly waiting for your pictures.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, the car might feel faster due to the turbos kicking in, but you would be surpised at how similar his car with the 30K upgrades would be to a gen 2 GTS with headers and exhaust. I had a friend, two actually, who sold their AWD TT Porsches and got Vipers. One already had the X-50 when I spanked him in any kind of race we tried. He upgraded to the bigger turbos, intercoolers/etc......(The 600 HP package)..... Well, with all that, he gained about 2 cars he was behind in the 60 MPH rolling 1/4 mile. Needless to say, he sold the car after losing the money and now has a Viper. As far as the gearing is concerned, I can only tell you that the Porsche guys are only losing car lengths shifting those silly little motors while we just go through long gears. They definitely hate that.

As far as the gear goes, don't do it! Get some headers and exhaust! Then get a Heffner supercharger kit! Then, you will be invincible! LOL!

P.S. The best mod you can do is learn how to drive the car to the limit, I would suggest Viper days and going to the strip to get your launch technique down for the street! I can give you some pointers if you would like.