Possible C7 Z06 detail

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine looks legit. This is further supporting the idea that Chevy has abandoned the ZR-1 version, at least for a while. They seem to be creating a two model corvette for the foreseeable future.

OP
OP
E

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine looks legit. This is further supporting the idea that Chevy has abandoned the ZR-1 version, at least for a while. They seem to be creating a two model corvette for the foreseeable future.

That's the same thing I heard. The hi-po version of the C7 would be comprised of a supercharged Z06 for the foreseeable future. Makes sense.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if it will be ZR1 priced? I would think they would probably ask at least 90-100k for a force fed Z06.

OP
OP
E

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if it will be ZR1 priced? I would think they would probably ask at least 90-100k for a force fed Z06.

Well, we've already seen C7 Z06 prototypes running around with CCB rotors. I will go out on a limb and speculate they will be standard on the upcoming Z06. If you take that into account, the C6 Z06 with the Z07 Performance option (Which included CCB rotors, aero etc.) was already priced at $100K. I believe you're in the right neighborhood. The C7 Z06 is going to sticker around $100K, and is expected to make about 600 hp.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would Chevy build a track oriented car with CCB and supercharger standard? It isn't what the track guys want. It would be a one lap wonder and be no more popular (at the track) than the ZR-1.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would Chevy build a track oriented car with CCB and supercharger standard? It isn't what the track guys want. It would be a one lap wonder and be no more popular (at the track) than the ZR-1.

I'm guessing the Z07 will be aimed at being a one-lap wonder with a naturally aspirated variant coming out later oriented more for the track.

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is actually really good news for team Viper. To me, I'd much prefer 640HP NA over 650HP with a SC for high performance driving. I have no doubt that if this Corvette were on lots today that it would leave the current Gen V for dead, but I also have no doubt that team SRT will strike back with appropriate upgrades or an ACR variant to retake the lead before it's released, just like they did when the Z06 dropped in 06 and they fired back with the Gen V. As a fan (and current owner) of both a Corvette and a Viper, kudos to both brands. Two American makers poised to make two phenomenal supercars. If the best of the best Corvette is FI, though, I'm gonna go with the Viper on the track every time.

I think the elephant in the room if SRT wants to fire back is still the CCBs. There is no other car in the viper's segment, not one, that doesn't have them. If you've driven a ZR1 from 2011+ or a C6 Z07 Z06, it feels like your cheeks are being ripped off your jawbones when you dive on the brakes. No Viper I've ever driven at speed (and I've driven every gen but the 1st) feels remotely like that, and the fact that it could tantalizes me, because it is so explosive going forward, I'd love it to be just as explosive in pulling back.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the elephant in the room if SRT wants to fire back is still the CCBs. There is no other car in the viper's segment, not one, that doesn't have them. If you've driven a ZR1 from 2011+ or a C6 Z07 Z06, it feels like your cheeks are being ripped off your jawbones when you dive on the brakes. No Viper I've ever driven at speed (and I've driven every gen but the 1st) feels remotely like that, and the fact that it could tantalizes me, because it is so explosive going forward, I'd love it to be just as explosive in pulling back.

MacLaren MP4-12c comes standard without CCBs. Haven't heard anyone say its braking is poor but they have CCB options now too.

OP
OP
E

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MacLaren MP4-12c comes standard without CCBs. Haven't heard anyone say its braking is poor but they have CCB options now too.

EVO magazine has produced one of the best videos for the Mclaren 12C. EVO Journalist, Harry Catchpole, claims he actually prefers the 12C's standard cast iron brakes over their CCBs. He claims they have better brake feel. I have attached the video. As a car guy, you've gotta love the first 30 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KizbiSkTAo

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is actually really good news for team Viper. To me, I'd much prefer 640HP NA over 650HP with a SC for high performance driving.

If all race tracks were at sea level I'd say NA all the way - but with NA engines you lose roughly 3% of rated engine power for every 1,000 feet above sea level...so at a 3,000 foot elevation you'd be giving up nearly 60 HP in the Viper while the FI car can maintain close to 100% of its rated power, depending on the efficiency and capacity of the compressor, up to and beyond several thousand feet in elevation.

Brakes are something that can be swapped out quite easily, so if you really wanted ceramic rotors for the track you could get them aftermarket...but ceramic rotors **** for street use because they need to be quite hot to work effectively - hotter than they'd get in normal street driving situations. Also, the Viper with "standard" brakes still outperforms vehicles with the latest and greatest, so it has plenty of room to grow as the competition mounts up.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EVO magazine has produced one of the best videos for the Mclaren 12C. EVO Journalist, Harry Catchpole, claims he actually prefers the 12C's standard cast iron brakes over their CCBs. He claims they have better brake feel. I have attached the video. As a car guy, you've gotta love the first 30 seconds.

I've never driven a car with ceramic brakes but I'm going to guess that they feel rougher, with less of a 'sweet spot' range for partial braking since ceramic rotors stay hard even when they are hot. Metal rotors get softer when they're at temperature, allowing for a more graduated range in braking pressure.

Caddylac10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The engine choice has a lot to do with the fact that it's going to be shared with the new CTS-V. GM is going to kill two birds with one stone; they aren't building one-off motors like the LS7 anymore. Both the V and Z06 are said to make over 600 hp but how much is unknown. I suspect 625 hp - 650 hp because I don't see the point of slapping a blower on the LT1 if the advantages don't outweigh what could be achieved through natural aspiration. The extra weight, slight loss in ultimate throttle response and parasitic loss has me thinking 650 hp, especially considering the LS9 made 638 hp.

There's a high degree of speculation surrounding the ZR1 but it's suspected that it will come in the form of a completely new model. Supplier sourcing is already out for a the C8 Corvette or whatever it's going to be called but it's expected to arrive in about four years. The C7 models are said to exist with it so it's my guess that the C8 is going to be a one-off model; probably the ZR1.

Because the Z06 will be supercharged it is expected to be a Z06/ZR1 (in the C6 generation sense) hybrid if you will, but not because it's replacing the ZR1 or that a ZR1 won't be made; it's just the easiest way to think about it.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is of far more interest to me.

General Motors Rear Wheel Drive Eight Speed Automatic Transmission
Technical Paper
2014-04-01
James Michael Hart, Tejinder Singh, William Goodrich

General Motors Rear Wheel Drive Eight Speed Automatic Transmission General Motors shall introduce a new rear wheel drive eight speed automatic transmission, known as the 8L90, in the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette. The rated turbine torque capacity is 1000 Nm. This transmission replaces the venerable 6L80 six speed automatic transmission. The objectives behind creation of this transmission are improved fuel economy, performance, and NVH. Packaging in the existing vehicle architecture and high mileage dependability are the givens. The architecture is required to offer low cost for a rear drive eight speed transmission while meeting the givens and objectives. An eight speed powerflow, invented by General Motors, was selected. This powerflow yields a 7.0 overall ratio spread, enabling improved launch capability because of a deeper first gear ratio and better fuel economy due to lower top gear N/V capability, relative to the 6L80. The eight speed ratios are generated using four simple planetary gearsets, two brake clutches and three rotating clutches. The resultant on-axis transmission architecture utilizes a squashed torque converter, an off-axis pump and four close coupled gearsets. The three rotating clutches have been located forward of the gearsets to minimize the length of oil feeds which provides for enhanced shift response and simplicity of turbine shaft manufacturing. The transmission architecture features a case with integral bell housing for enhanced powertrain stiffness. A unique pump drive design allows for off-axis packaging very low in the transmission. The pump is a binary vane type which effectively allows for two pumps in the packaging size of one. This design and packaging strategy not only enables low parasitic losses and optimum priming capability but also provides for ideal oil routing to the controls system, with the pump located in the valve body itself. The transmission controller is externally mounted, enabling packaging and powertrain integration flexibilities. The controller makes use of three speed sensors which provide for enhanced shift response and accuracy. Utilization of aluminum and magnesium components throughout the transmission yields competitive mass. The dedicated compensator feed circuit, used in GM six speed designs, was supplanted by a lube-fed design in order to simplify oil routing and enhance shift response. Packaging is within that of the GM 6L80 design, allowing for ease of application integration. The overall result is a robust, compact, and cost effective transmission which offers significant fuel economy and performance benefit, over its six speed counterpart, and shall provide an attractive balance of overall metrics in the automatic transmission market.

http://papers.sae.org/2014-01-1721/

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be a fly in the ointment, but can someone tell me why a thread that is ONLY about the C7 Corvette in the Gen V forum? Shouldn't this be in Driven?

Sorry. My OCD is in full swing this morning.....

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C6 ZR1 is a more reliable track car than the C6z. Trying to make the HP with an NA V8 and meet reliability standards would be tough. I'm hoping it NA, and maybe they make it 550 HP and lightweight. But it does make sense how they would consider FI. The ZR1 has been a huge success, outselling the Z06 for a few years and the fact is that the majority won't see major track action. For those wanting NA, the base C7 are making 420whp and have plenty of modding potential. Not my taste, but does make sense. GM made a SC a huge success.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C6 ZR1 is a more reliable track car than the C6z. Trying to make the HP with an NA V8 and meet reliability standards would be tough. I'm hoping it NA, and maybe they make it 550 HP and lightweight. But it does make sense how they would consider FI. The ZR1 has been a huge success, outselling the Z06 for a few years and the fact is that the majority won't see major track action. For those wanting NA, the base C7 are making 420whp and have plenty of modding potential. Not my taste, but does make sense. GM made a SC a huge success.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, but on the road race track the ZR1 has not been anywhere as capable as the Z06 due to heat soak when run hard for multiple sessions in the heat. It will run, but heat soak slows it down....a lot. I stand by this statement for stock motored ZR1's. Once you modify them for more power (pulley, tune, etc) they not only become hotter quicker, but have seen a couple have major internal issues needing complete rebuilds. Biggest problem I've seen with the motors of Z06's during the last few years of production during track events in the heat is high oil temps according to the gauge. I haven't seen any let go in the last few years (unlike the first few years of Z06 production), but it does make the owners nervous and they often come into the pits to let the car temps cool down. Having said that, when doing Bondurant in the heat of the summer, their C6 Grand Sports often barely registered oil pressure when super hot at low rpms. I brought this to the attention of the mechanics and they said no worries, get back out on the track.

George

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR1 may heat soak but so do all of them. Z06's heat soak badly too. Both lose a lot of HP after a couple of laps. But you have not seen ZR1 motors letting go. Z06's still blow up regularly and are a liability. May be earlier builds or not, but you just haven't seen ZR1 motors let go.

Considering GM can even improve on that why wouldn't it make sense to build a FI motor? Especially when they have made the HP already in the ZR1 vs trying to make competitive HP NA. And remember the HP has to be competitive for 7 years.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR1 may heat soak but so do all of them. Z06's heat soak badly too. Both lose a lot of HP after a couple of laps. But you have not seen ZR1 motors letting go. Z06's still blow up regularly and are a liability. May be earlier builds or not, but you just haven't seen ZR1 motors let go.

Considering GM can even improve on that why wouldn't it make sense to build a FI motor? Especially when they have made the HP already in the ZR1 vs trying to make competitive HP NA. And remember the HP has to be competitive for 7 years.

Bluestreak, don't tell me what I have or have not seen.

I have personally seen two modified ZR1's have internal motor damage....there were modified (as posted above), and they did require complete engine rebuilds. The most recent is a guy I race with in the Nor Cal racing club. I personally know him and he is from the San Jose area. Car was putting out over 750 hp to the rear wheels. The Z06 does not heat soak anywhere near as bad as the supercharged version. Late model LS7's have been much more reliable than the first 2006 models. They do not blow up regularly now unless tuned or modified...many times tuned incorrectly.

The new C7 motor will be just like the 2006 Z06's....it will have gremlins....mark my words. It's GM, they always F up the first production run of anything.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have seen two modded ZR1 motors blow up. You know that doesn't count.

So like I was saying. The Z06 motors are far less powerful and more of a reliability issue. Increase power NA and increase possible liability issues. Don't see how you can argue that. Forced induction is an easier more reliable source of power. Heat issues can be dealt with. Even the Z51 suffers from heat soak. From 420 whp to 405 in 3 dyno pulls with a cool down in between. This is directly from a tuner on a stock motor. Think what it's gonna do on track........

Ultimately we seem to agree on which is ideal. But FI is the easy route. No doubting that.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the C7 forum, it seems like their newer rear end (Z51) is having issues, the speculation is that is why they have put constraints on all the Z51's

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The constraints for the Z51 have to do getting certain parts (seems to be mostly CF pieces). A few C7 owners had issues with low diff fluid, but in the grand scheme of things it appears to be a very low percentage of affected cars. The thousands of other owners aren't going to make a thread "my e-diff works great" so it might be a bit early to call the C7's rear end faulty. Also, 1 or 2 non-Z51 owners reported the issue so it's not specific to the Z51's e-diff.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO CCBs are a bad idea for regular street cars. Their superiority in performance over an equivalent metal brake is marginal but their cost to replace is astronomically higher and way out of proportion to their advantages. And boy do they wear out when driven hard over a sustained period!! If you like to throw down well into 5 figures now and again to replace brakes, then maybe CCB are for you, otherwise, I'd run from them and buy a Rolex with the money you will save.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be a fly in the ointment, but can someone tell me why a thread that is ONLY about the C7 Corvette in the Gen V forum? Shouldn't this be in Driven?

Sorry. My OCD is in full swing this morning.....

Yes........

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try hitting the brakes on a Gen 4 ACR. They will make a believer out of you. Best brakes I have ever seen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62