Possibly Silly Question on Exhaust Change

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For my '98 RT, considering changing the exhaust. Have read some people have only changed to hi-flow cats and kept the stock mufflers for less loud exhaust.

Question: How much do I lose in the change if I don't change the factory muffler (not a muffler delete car).:dunno:

For me, its a combination of performance and sound.:2tu:

Thoughts?

Peter

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For my '98 RT, considering changing the exhaust. Have read some people have only changed to hi-flow cats and kept the stock mufflers for less loud exhaust.

Question: How much do I lose in the change if I don't change the factory muffler (not a muffler delete car).:dunno:

For me, its a combination of performance and sound.:2tu:

Thoughts?

Peter

By lose I presume you are speaking of HP. There is no loss. In fact there's likely a small gain of 5-10 HP (if you're N/A). If you want cooler side sills (and interior) and a bit more exhaust volume it's an excellent mod. It's also significantly less expensive than changing out the entire system (which you can always do later).

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They recently discussed this over on the Gen III board via DC Performance running a Gen IV car on the dyno with headers only. They got almost all the gain they would have gotten with a whole system but kept the car quieter. Having a noisy car and not liking it, I have to say this sounds like a good idea.

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running stock exhaust with Random Tech Hi-flow cats. One of the best mods that I did. Swapping them out was quick and easy, but I spent a bit more and got them welded at a professional exhaust shop instead of just clamped.

The volume increased only slightly, but its a more throaty, mean sound. Side sills are enormously cooler than stock. I don't know that I picked up any huge performance increase with the cats, but the sound difference makes the car feel more powerful.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I know this is personal opinion, but is one hi-flow cat better than another? I know there is Corsa, Random Tech and Roe Performance...but with the stock muffler, will one work better than another. By work, I mean the least restriction and the best sound....I know, more silly questions, but have to ask!

I would rather go in stages, so if I do not like the car without the change in muffler, I will change that at a later date. It isn't my preference to have a "loud" car, but I do think the stock exhaust is too quiet...quieter than any Vette I've owned.

Are there any videos of cars that only changed cats on Youtube?

Thanks much.

Peter

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456