Powder Coating Question?

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if the Gen II valve covers and intake manifold are powder coated or painted from the factory? :confused:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
powder coated and it cant be duplicated. color can be but not the texture. it was made specifically for dodge and the formula is gone i was told by a good source.

OP
OP
F

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
powder coated and it cant be duplicated. color can be but not the texture. it was made specifically for dodge and the formula is gone i was told by a good source.

Thanks Plum,

I thought they were but was not sure. I was told by a local powder coater shop over the phone that if they are powder coated, that they can be re-done without having to strip away the original coating.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't let them use a chemical stripper!!! I have a couple of valve covers melt away because of the chemical they used. :eek:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1. They are Powdercoated

2. Dodge did HORRIBLE prep work, and thats why their PC always seems to fall off.

3. The finish and color CAN be duplicated, but be prepared to send a sample to a PC manufacturer, and wait a while, along with having to pay for a LARGE minimum purchase.

4. They can be chemically stripped, but you have to use certain strippers safe for Aluminum/Magnesium. These are not nearly as harsh, and take a lot longer. You will still need to glass-bead after stripping to clean them up.

5. You absolutely DO NOT want to PC over old PC- thats the whole problem in the first place, the PC sticking to the cover! What good is powdercoating that sticks to powdercoating that DOESNT stick?

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Powder coating magnesium requires extra preperation due to the oils found in the metal.When properly prepared they turn out great and wear well

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
dan, send me the info on the place that can get me the powder please ?

Plum- any place which mixes custom colors/textures can do it for you... but expect to pay thousands of dollars in minimum fees. I know they CAN and WILL, but no one is crazy enough in the aftermarket to mix tons of powder they will never use.

For starters, RAL, TCI, Alesta would be the companies I would contact.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't really like the texture on the stock PC, it just stains easily and looks dingy. The texturing just makes cleaning more of a PITA.
I had mine rePC'd in a smooth finish so I could just wipe them down. They look much nicer and the finish is better than stock.

BTW, I would be interested to see some Gen1/2 parts PC'd in the color and finish of the Gen3 parts.

OP
OP
F

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is sand blasting the valve covers and intake safe?

I'm taking mine today to a place here locally. They are telling me that they will sand blast the parts and put new powder coating. They send me the color chart and there is a nice bright red that I like. I dont mine going to a different shade of color especially if is more like my Viper Red of my car. Here is the link to their website.
www.absolutepowdercoating.com

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is sand blasting the valve covers and intake safe?

I'm taking mine today to a place here locally. They are telling me that they will sand blast the parts and put new powder coating. They send me the color chart and there is a nice bright red that I like. I dont mine going to a different shade of color especially if is more like my Viper Red of my car. Here is the link to their website.
www.absolutepowdercoating.com

They bead blast them. The place I get mine done tried chemical and it ate up the first two covers. New powdercoat turns out great.:2tu:

picture.php

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very easy to chemical strip if you know what you're doing I'm told

Yep. There are two types of chemical stripper... one for Steel, and one for Aluminum. If you try to use the harsh steel stripper on Aluminum, you wont own valve covers for very long!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, with all that said, where canI find a decent pass side valve cover without pitting...and how much would that go for?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen ones on Ebay, but all of them were worse than mine! I've also seen polished stainless" covers" that Sean sells... they look nice but not sure if that's thue way to go.

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

You guys did a great job on the powdercoating my covers!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960