powdercoating and logo's

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a short question, but I want to powdercoat the manifold and valvecovers this winter.

I searched the site but could not find the answer on what you guys do to the viper logo and the top runners on the manifold?

I mean, I want them to be polished and not coated. Do you have to powdercoat everything and then sand the logo to remove the coating OR do you use a different way to get it sorted out???

:dunno::dunno:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year?

You cannot keep magnesium shiny and clearcoating does not help since it "rottens" inside out....

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have pics here: http://forums.viperclub.org/2861813-post85.html

"I mean, I want them to be polished and not coated. Do you have to powdercoat everything and then sand the logo to remove the coating OR do you use a different way to get it sorted out???"

No, you do not have to powdercoat everything and sand the logo. My shop polished the logos and they sanded the intake and valve covers smooth before applying the PC. The logos were masked off before PC. They were then unmasked, polished some more and everything was cleared. I'll take better pics and post.

OP
OP
N

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Think I will sanblast everything, then powdercoat, sand the logo's and THEN bring it back for a clearcoat.....

Can't wait!

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have pics here: http://forums.viperclub.org/2861813-post85.html

"I mean, I want them to be polished and not coated. Do you have to powdercoat everything and then sand the logo to remove the coating OR do you use a different way to get it sorted out???"

No, you do not have to powdercoat everything and sand the logo. My shop polished the logos and they sanded the intake and valve covers smooth before applying the PC. The logos were masked off before PC. They were then unmasked, polished some more and everything was cleared. I'll take better pics and post.

thats how i did it. i taped off all the areas i polished, then with an exacto knife cut around the logos and polished areas, then powdercoated everything, removed the tape, cleared everything. very happy with the way it looks.

7911powder1.JPG

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Intake is not a big deal but good luck finding someone to powder coat the covers. Most people won't touch them. i guess they are hard to do because of the metal they are made out of. I wound up painting mine but I don't know how well it will hold up over the years.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5862Valve_Cover_-_close_up.jpg

Masking works well if done correctly. The logo is raised of course but the script "Venom Power" is recessed....can't make that right by polishing off excess. Just offered as an example of what can be done by carefully masking before PC

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats how i did it. i taped off all the areas i polished, then with an exacto knife cut around the logos and polished areas, then powdercoated everything, removed the tape, cleared everything. very happy with the way it looks.

7911powder1.JPG

Looks great, not easy work but worth the effort.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Think I will sanblast everything, then powdercoat, sand the logo's and THEN bring it back for a clearcoat.....

Can't wait!

you can try that, but i think its going to be a MAJOR PITA. first, sanding down the powdercoat with any precision is going to be very difficult and very time consuming because of the toughness of powdercoat. crisp edges will be darn near impossible. the other problem is the raised logos arent raised above the valve covers very far. alot of your sanding will end up outside the logos and into the valve cover paint that i am sure you dont want to scratch. strongly consider doing it my way instead, it will be SO MUCH easier.

thanks tony and you are right - it wasnt easy work, but the results were perfect and were well worth the effort.

OP
OP
N

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@big-n-italian
Think you're right, I will mask of the thing I dont want to be coated. Do I need special tape for it and do I need to take it of before its getting baked or after?

@DrumrBoy
How did you masked of the letters "venom power"?? I got Heffner Peformance writen on my valvecovers and also want them to be left uncoated.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@big-n-italian
Think you're right, I will mask of the thing I dont want to be coated. Do I need special tape for it and do I need to take it of before its getting baked or after?

my powdercoater had a special tape i had to use. tell the person who is going to do your PC work what you are doing and they will probably just give you some.

clean your parts
polish your logos to perfection
clean your parts
tape off your logos and trim with exacto knife
take parts to powdercoater
PC parts with tape on
remove tape
PC parts in clear

enjoy! :D

let us know how it turns out!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
R&J Distributing. Save yourself heartache and time, let them do it. They were able to salvage my valve covers that the local shop messed up. The issue with the metal is that it is porous and when the throw it in the oven even after sand blasting it still releases oil and other debris. The other issue is you cannot dip them prior to powder coating.

OP
OP
N

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Kng snke
Don't have that option living abroad and all. Need to find someone locally, but nobody in the Netherlands has experience with vipers over here.... :-(

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they can be dipped if you know what you are doing.

Yep and the "know what you are doing" needs to be over-emphasized. Plum & I had the priviledge of getting our parts done by someone that indeed know's what they're doing. Not a fun task unless you love doing it day in/day out on magnesium.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
R&J Distributing. Save yourself heartache and time, let them do it. They were able to salvage my valve covers that the local shop messed up. The issue with the metal is that it is porous and when the throw it in the oven even after sand blasting it still releases oil and other debris. The other issue is you cannot dip them prior to powder coating.

+1 on R&J, they do great work...I would ship it abroad instead of having to look for new valve covers.

BTW what color did you decide on?

OP
OP
N

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on R&J, they do great work...I would ship it abroad instead of having to look for new valve covers.

BTW what color did you decide on?

Shipping abroad is just TO expensive to do.

What is the biggest problem with Powdercoating the valvcovers then? If they sandblast is and then PC what can go wrong AND how do we make sure it goes ok.

What does R&J do diffrent compared to other companies?

@ 97snk
I am going for bright (monster)green!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kees I can ask my paint guy if he knows where to get this special tape over here if you like? Big, can you ask your powdercoater what kind of tape he used exactly?

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kees I can ask my paint guy if he knows where to get this special tape over here if you like? Big, can you ask your powdercoater what kind of tape he used exactly?

sure, i can give him a call. the tape i used was green in color. somewhat thick. i'm assuming it is tape specially made for PC work.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will sanblast everything, then powdercoat, . . .

The coater will want the parts (especially the manifold) chemically stripped. Just make sure they mask off the injector holes very cleanly. That is your only big concern. And get new O-rings for the injectors. The often get hurt when removed.

OP
OP
N

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coater will want the parts (especially the manifold) chemically stripped. Just make sure they mask off the injector holes very cleanly. That is your only big concern. And get new O-rings for the injectors. The often get hurt when removed.

He orders special type of plugs for the injector holes and I already got new o-rings for it.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could get a machine shop to take a fly cut off of the raised parts on a vertical milling machine following the PC process. Wouldn't be cheap, but it would certainly leave a nice finnish on the valve covers, it's probably how they did it in the manufacturing process. Not sure I'd do it to the manifold like that, though.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

7911powder1.JPG

That intake looks awesome! How did you prep it? I'm waiting to remove all the texture and smooth it out. Any tips? Thanks!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are not standard prepping, they are made out of magnesium. It is a very porous metal. Please search powder coating valve covers and look at the carnage.

Agreed. It took my powder coater a lot of time to prep the covers and manifold. I saw the magnesium after the original paint was removed...looked like surface of the moon. I'm pretty certain my covers/intake was last he was ever going to do. :D