Power Steering Cooler for Gen I

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,

I would like to install a power steering cooler on my '94. I have talked to a few people and have a general idea of what it will take. Looking at the microfiche it appears all I need to do is order the GenII high pressure hose and route it to a cooler. There is a different part number for the GenI and GenII high pressure hoses, and I assume the difference is routing it through the cooler?

Also, does anyone have a picture of how the cooler is mounted on a GenII, this will be helpful when fabricating mounts.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Edit: sounds like the return line is what goes through the cooler, but that doesn't explain why the GenI & II have different high pressure hoses?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not on a GenI there isn't.

my pump sometimes makes noise when I'm driving aggressively for long periods of time (and the car is hot). I've already changed the fluid and the pump, and I want to try a cooler before I replace the rack.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm, I haven't had the fascia off my car, but when I changed the pump the rack return line goes straight from the rack to the pump (as I recall). also, others have confirmed this. I'll follow the lines when I get home.

are you sure you aren't thinking about an oil cooler? I know I have one of those.

Edit: here's a pic from my photo gallery, it appears the low pressure return line goes straight from the rack to the pump, although it is a little obscured by the crossmember. I'll check when I get home, but I didn't notice ps lines when I swapped my radiator:

7107cs_028.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
upon further inspection I DO NOT have a power steering cooler, as I stated earlier. both the high pressure and return lines run directly from the rack to the pump.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen 1 does not have one. I haven't felt the need because I got the car with an underdrive pulley already installed. The accesories run at 20% (25%?) less RPM, and combined with Cold Climate Power Steering fluid (i.e. partial synthetic) I have not had any problems or noises. I have run lots of AX and track events; installed CCPSF when I got the car and maybe once more (after 30K miles?) and all is good.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info Tom. I know you've helped me with this chronic problem in the past.

I found a good sized power steering cooler that will be delivered tomorrow. I found a nice location to mount it and even made an air dam to help it out a little. I'm taking pictures and will post the project when I'm done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456