Power steering fluid

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly what type of hydraulic fluid to install in the power steering system for '04 cars? Service manual says DO NOT use ATF - ONLY use Mopar or equal power steering fluid, however the fluid I siphoned out of the PS pump reservoir is red (looks like ATF, maybe its ATF+4?), the Mopar power steering fluid I bought at the dealer is clear.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mopar ATF+4 is the factory fill for 2004 and 2005 SRT-10's.

As usual, it seems to me, the copy editors "pass things along" in the Service Manuals for awhile...then , finally catch the "error" and correct later. Ever line up all of the service manuals (92-05) and see ALL of the problems???
I'm particularly fond of Gen I exhaust pictures persisting in Gen II manuals...but can become more less jocular about the errors after looking for a fan relay on a 1998 Viper in the wrong spot because the service manual used 1995 Viper info !!!

OP
OP
S

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, thanks a lot for the info. I am becoming aware of these Service Manual "errors" myself, what a pain in the **s. Even the parts descriptions don't seem to be accurate, I replaced the hose from PS pump to the fan which the manual described as the incorrect hose and I almost purchased the wrong $140 hose (special order-no returns).

One more question, I lubricated the O-rings on the quick connect fittings with the clear Mopar power steering fluid prior to installing the fittings and hose (not smart I know - it was late...) I only used a very small amount, do you think this will be a problem after refilling the system with the ATF+4?