Power Steering Issue - Help

bluebya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought my first viper (2001 GTS, 11,000 miles). I have had it a month and for the 1st time 2 days ago I started feeling a pulsating in the steering wheel when turning either way at low speed...pulling out of the driveway, sharp turns on side streets, etc. I never felt this the fist few weeks i drove it. It gives me that feeling of low fluid or a bad pump. Anyone have any experience with this?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I assume you have checked the fluid level...if not, would do so!! What is the color?

I would carefully check the P/S pulley, then check the bracket...looking for cracks.

If the pulley and bracket are OK, I would consider new fluid. If the problem persists, suggest professional help by a Viper Tech.

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds to me like what my srt does and i have talked to others and theres does the same. I came to the conclusion that at low speed such as turning around in my driveway my front tires are wide enough that instead of rolling they kinda skid across the pavement when the wheel is turned tight. Ive owned my car for over a year now and its done it since day one and still no problems. I hope this helps. Theres another thread about it too. If i can find it ill post the link.

OP
OP
B

bluebya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That thread seemed to emplain what i am feeling,thanks. I did a search but it did not pull up that thred. Hopefully that is all it is because i do not what to be doing mechanial repairs on a car i just bought!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that thread was for an SRT but i guess it could be the same thing.

id listen to what steve said. do some good inspections of the brackets and pulley.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will guess it is the pulley. That is exactly how mine reacted just prior to failing. Visually, it might look ok, but the plastic cracks around the center hub and slips badly.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Guys, keep in mind that on 2003-2006 and 2008-2010 Vipers the power steering pumps are seeing a different load since the pump also runs the cooling fans hydraulically.

1992-2002 Vipers have electric fans.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully that is all it is because i do not what to be doing mechanial repairs on a car i just bought!

ameture night:nono:

Now is the time to do repairs and preventative maintenance so that you can enjoy your viper for many many reliable carefree miles to come :drive:

Your viper is almost 10 years old. Its not like you bought a brand new honda here. Vipers require more maintenance than the average vehicle and each year has its known common problems. For starters it is Very common for 2000-2001 water pumps to fail. Find out if yours has been replaced yet, if not, replace it. Also the PowerStearing system is a weak point on Any Gen2 viper. If your powersteering cap dosnt come loose and set your car on fire then the cast plastic pulley or bracket will break leaving you stranded on the side of the road. Solution: Check tightness of cap frequently, Replace PS pulley&bracket with billet aluminum units from either ROEracing or BigBrakeDave/Partsrack.

Enjoy your new(to you) ride:2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang