pre 2000 exhaust ideas, specifically '96

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pre 2000 exhaust ideas, specifically \'96

Well, After over an hour searching through the archives of this site, I've found a couple ideas that I'd like to throw at you, but couldn't find out what it sounded like, or performance gains. And also I've read that the exhaust mods will show more improvement on pre 2000 cars, why's that ??

Anyhow, here's a couple choices I was looking into:

1. Removing stock manifolds, installing 2000 headers and leaving the stock cats in place, removing the muffler and running straight pipes in it's place. With this, would it be best to run a cross over pipe ??

2. Removing stock manifolds, installing 2000 headers and removing the entire system, and running straight exhaust all the way to the back of the car. How about cross over with this too ?? What would be the best size pipe to go with ?? How about O2 sensors ?

Has anyone gone with either one of these ideas just to see what it does, and sounds like ??
I figure that either way, it'll be cheap, and if it needs to be upgraded with hi flow cats like another friend recommended, or whatever else, I could go from there.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: pre 2000 exhaust ideas, specifically \'96

Where are you gonna get the stock 2000 manifolds? Got a supplier?

My 98 RT/10 is stock with K&N, smoothies and H pipe instead of rear ****. Sounds great. You won't hear it as much in a GTS though. Cheap mod. Dyno'd at 426 rwhp. Highly recommend if you're not ready for a complete exhaust upgrade.

My 97 GTS has stock headers, 3inch exhaust, no cats, mufflers inside the side sill. Very loud. Sounds great. Fire out the rear.

Somebody mentioned that straight pipes all the way sound like crap.

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You mounted your mufflers inside the sills ??

What kind are they and where did you get those ??

Flames out the rear ?? That would be awesome !! Is it loud enough to get the cops attention, or make the neighbors hate you ??

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Where are you gonna get the stock 2000 manifolds? Got a supplier?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, There's a super guy here on the VCA forum ( Venumish ) that offered them to me. What a great guy, and I've never even met him !!!

Hat's off to Venumish !!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would go with NO CATS and either a 6" Borla XR-1 muffler or a 6" Dynomax Ultraflow. I have the Ultraflows and love the sound. By getting rid of your cats, your side sill temps go down and performance goes up, assuming you don't have a sniffer test.

Mike

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nope........No Sniffer tests.

What do I do about the o2 sensors if I get rid of the cats ?? I don't want my check engine light on if I do that.
Thanks

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had no problems with my o2 sensors (96 R/T). I believe that the 2000 and newer cars needed the upgrades o2s. You should be OK with the stock o2's, but if I am wrong, somebody will slam me
supergrin.gif

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan,

The "other" Dan above is the route I've bought, and not yet installed. Over the winter months project.....

2000 Headers (25 lbs savings over our heavy manifolds)
I went Roe Racing Oval high flows.
Up to this point is (sending out now) jet-hot coated in their "2000" coating. This step lowers side sill temps moreso as well as reducing underhood temps that any type of blanket could not. Actually elimantes the need for any blanketing on the header which is usually not sold with the header anyways, mine did not come with a blanket, therefore the coating was a no-brainer to me. Our OEM shielding will not transfer over to the headers. Some have said with some cutting and grinding it will go, but would look like poo in my opinion.

That gets the story up past the cats. I have found a mere few horse gain off removing the rear resonators on each side (aft in side sill, which I think Chuck is refering to). This was confirmed by Sean Roe, so I think I will leave those in.

The big debate is the rear muffler. My complete end to end stock OEM system will be mothballed, so I will have free reign to hack the new end to end 2000 system up until satisfied.

As of now I am planning on removing the rear muffler and running a crossover pipe in the middle of the now vacant muffler. If the noise level is acceptable then it shalll stay. Too loud, calm things down a touch with a Corsa setup.

that's my route, glad to see some dyno gains from Dan above, I was hoping for more than 25 at the back with Roe gettting 17 on the cats alone. I'll report my dyno after and see where things stand. If nothing else the exhaust note should sound a 'touch'
supergrin.gif
better than stock. Cooler side sills and stopping the yellowing side sills (on my blue car
confused.gif
) in its tracks.

best of luck,

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Ryan, Thanks for the info.

I'm gonna keep all of my stock exhaust components too, just like you did. Who knows, someday it might be worth putting back to stock.

One thing I'm kinda confused about........ Resonators

I honestly haven't even taken my sill off to see what's there, but my Service manual shows ONLY 1 Cat on each side, and a muffler at the back. Am I missing something ?? Is this a '96 GTS thing ??

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When you take off the side sills you will see the resonators. My 97 GTS came with the exhaust it has so I'm not sure what kind of mufflers are in the sills. Be warned that if you do remove the cats you will get flames. No big deal for a track car but you'll be cleaning a scorched bumper for the poser crowd.

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan,

No problem man, just trying to help out viper owners. After you finish your setup call me I wanna hear the sound of the system please
smile.gif

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Aren't all the mufflers in the side sill? Resonator is the big piece in the back everyone removes. When I installed headers the system's muffler was just behind the cats, same size externally as the stock "muffler".

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pauls:
Aren't all the mufflers in the side sill? Resonator is the big piece in the back everyone removes. When I installed headers the system's muffler was just behind the cats, same size externally as the stock "muffler".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On a stock system the resonator is in the side sill, the muffler is at the rear.

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The drawing in the 96 shop manual is incorrect as it shows only the cat in the side sill. There is a cat and a muffler in each sill plus the rear muffler.

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Bill,

Is SNKEBYT your vanity plate ??

Mines SNKBYTE !!! Anyway, Incorrect drawing in the service manual ?? Is there anything else goofy in the manual that I should know about ??

Hey Venumish,

I'll be glad to call you and rev it up a few times over the phone. I'll even try to record it, and put it here too. Thanks again !!!

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, that's my plate. I have been told that there are a lot of minor errors as the manuals are written before the cars are built. I have also been told to ask for parts for a 97 if you want to be sure it's a GTS part. I guess a lot of the parts listed as 96 are Gen I. Have to be careful in the transition year. Love them 96s!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc