Pre-production yellow Viper with pics of display screen options

Moparposterchild

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys. It's my first post here. I'm new to this community, but certainly not new to the car world or to the Mopar world for that matter.

I recently had a chance to drive a preproduction car for a few days and I took some pics to share. I particularly took pics of the different features of the digital display as I haven't seen too many of those floating around. There may be a couple missing, but this is just about every screen option you will see when you get behind the wheel of your new Viper. I have some other general pics that I took as well.

I have a lot of thoughts regarding the car and the criticism it has received, but I don't really have time to go into a full review right now, and since this was a preproduction car it wouldn't be appropriate to judge it as such. The bottom line is, this car is fantastic. It has more power than anyone really "needs" on public roads and it will serve its purpose faithfully on the track. The motor is a torque MONSTER! I can spin tires at will, even at 55 mph on the freeway if you want it to. There didn't appear to be any dips in the torque band and power was readily available any time I wanted it. The shifter and gates were great and the gear ratio seems just fine to me, though I know some are concerned about it. Interior was very nice as expected... I have a couple of minor issues with it, but again I'm reserving my judgement until I get a production car to drive. I really like all of the tech in the car. Most people will appreciate the way they refined this machine while still staying true to the original nature and spirit of the Viper we know and love. I know that most of our concerns have been addressed for the production model (seats, panel gaps, etc.) while I'm sure SRT is leaving some of our "wants" for future implementation. As far as the seats go, I spent four days in an SRT model with the preproduction seats and didn't have a problem except for the manual levers used for adjusting the seats. The space was a little too tight for my hands... If you're ordering a GTS I believe they come with power seats and I'd probably opt for them regardless of added weight and cost if $$$ wasn't a factor. If the production seats are more comfortable than these then that's just an added bonus for me as I was not bothered by them.

Anyways, I'm supposed to get a red GTS to drive and compare. I'm looking forward to experiencing the two-mode suspension and upgraded materials in the interior. This will help me to decide which one I am most likely to spend my money on. Once I live with the GTS for a few days I'll try and write up a full comparison between the two cars, and I also look forward to getting my hands on a production model to experience the final product.

Here's some pics I took of the various display options and a few of the car. Please excuse the cell phone pics and lighting.

OIL TEMP
You must be registered for see images attach

COOLANT TEMP

AIR INTAKE TEMP

PEAK G-FORCE

IGNITION ON

CURRENT TORQUE

AIR INTAKE TEMP

ENGINE HOURS

TIRE PRESSURE

CURRENT POWER IN HP

SIRIUS RADIO

STORED MESSAGES

CONFIG OPTIONS

I LIKE THAT YOU CAN ASSIGN DIFFERENT READINGS TO THE TOP RIGHT AND LEFT DISPLAY

SCREEN SETUP

INSTANT G-FORCE METER

1/8 MILE TIMER

STARTUP SCREEN

1/4 MILES TIMER

BRAKING DISTANCE

REDLINE GRAPHIC

0-60 TIMER

ENGINE SHOT

DRIVERS VIEW

THE CAR

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and a fantastic First post. These are the first public views of the dash that have been posted here.

Thanks again

Bruce

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that's a hell of a lot of information to look at! I hope the new drivers remember to look out of the windscreen too :D

Thanks for the pics.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info! Hey, how come you don't have any stored 0 to 60 or 1/4 miles times??? :D

Also great to have the perspective of a real guy, rather than a mag editor. How would you rate overall liveability? Mine's going to be a semi-daily driver, probably about half the time when the weather's nice. I'm hoping it's comfortable enough, noise damping is sufficient, Etc. Mostly for my girlfriend, I don't want her to argue for taking her Surburban on getaways, LOL.

Also looking forward to your comparison with the GTS and how you rate the differences with the SRT.

Welcome to the forum.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great review and pics! Did you get a chance to play with the launch control yet? There is a good review in the latest VIPER magazine with some nice shots of the gauges as well. From the review it sounds like the two-mode suspension of the GTS is worth the price of admission alone. Look forward to seeing what you think.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks - very imformative. How is it that you will have the opportunity to drive both cars for several days?

OP
OP
M

Moparposterchild

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info! Hey, how come you don't have any stored 0 to 60 or 1/4 miles times??? :D

Also great to have the perspective of a real guy, rather than a mag editor. How would you rate overall liveability? Mine's going to be a semi-daily driver, probably about half the time when the weather's nice. I'm hoping it's comfortable enough, noise damping is sufficient, Etc. Mostly for my girlfriend, I don't want her to argue for taking her Surburban on getaways, LOL.

Also looking forward to your comparison with the GTS and how you rate the differences with the SRT.

Welcome to the forum.

I drove the car like a daily driver and didn't have any issues with that myself. It cleared speed bumps and took to traffic just fine. The clutch was a pleasure to deal with and never made me wish I was driving something else. Wives may have a different opinion though depending on how your girlfriend is about cars. The SRT is definitely a stiff ride compared to pedestrian cars like sedans and suv's, but it's supposed to be because of the nature of the car. Let's put it this way... I have owned a number of fast cars, and SRT's. One of which was a Charger SRT that I put KW adjustable coilovers on. THAT car was a jarring ride... this car was much better than that if you can imagine.

OP
OP
M

Moparposterchild

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great review and pics! Did you get a chance to play with the launch control yet? There is a good review in the latest VIPER magazine with some nice shots of the gauges as well. From the review it sounds like the two-mode suspension of the GTS is worth the price of admission alone. Look forward to seeing what you think.

I did use the launch control a couple of times. Very easy to operate. My only issue was cold temperatures meant the tires weren't warmed up and the traction control had to step in accordingly to ensure the best launch possible. Very fun option.

OP
OP
M

Moparposterchild

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious, how would you rate the material the SRT dash is made out of?

It's a good leather... craftsmanship was very good, but the dash is not necessarily what I would call a "soft touch" surface. I believe that is an effort to save weight because if you start adding all that extra padding to the surface the weight begins to add up. I must point out again though, this car was also a pre-production car, so they may or may not have made any adjustments to the production models in that regard.

sonofadragracer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that's a hell of a lot of information to look at! I hope the new drivers remember to look out of the windscreen too :D

Thanks for the pics.

Thought the same thing. A nice white faced mechanical gauge would be nice and simple too!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you! Those of us waiting on them to arrive greatly appreciate the sneak previews. Keep them coming!

Tony

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be nice to compare the hp listed vs rwhp on a dyno! Very cool features for sure! I just hope all these new electronics don't become a liability when the cars are out of warranty!

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The center TFT and large one on the console look great and the different options are cool features.
Am the only one however that thinks the speedometer and fuel gauges and needles look really cheap and from the 1980s...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper