Prepping for storage

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm gonna be out of the country for the next 4-5 months. What do you guys usually do prior to storing your Viper for this amount of time? Since it is so short, and warm in the garage, is it really going to need much pre care done?

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What he said, plus some fuel stabilizer and a good bath. Then tuck it in nice and tight for a long nap.

VIPERBARON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a battery tender on it, covered it with the car cover, then covered that with one of those egg crate bed foam sheets, put in some fuel stabilizer, filled up the tank to prevent any condensation from forming and put it in a dry garage.:2tu:
Last year I had it out in the barn and some rabbits got up, into the engine area and chewed through wires everywhere.:crazy2:
I'd also suggest some mothballs on the floor, under the car and a lot of rat traps. Lock it up, put a steering wheel lock bar on it. Keep the keys locked up and away from children.

When you get back, give it a good inspection before starting it up. Check for chewed wires. I had 2 plug wires chewed through and the engine idled very well, but the unburned air/fuel went into the exhaust manifold, over-heated one catalitic converter and started a fire! Then I found the vacuum line to the environmental control had also been chewed through. Expect the tires to have flat spots that will take several miles of easy driving to round back out.:drive:

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna be out of the country for the next 4-5 months. What do you guys usually do prior to storing your Viper for this amount of time? Since it is so short, and warm in the garage, is it really going to need much pre care done?

Kevin,
If your family needs anything locally while you are away just give me a call, I'll be glad to help out. I'm doing the same thing for my wifes squadron, she deploys next week. PM me if you need my phone number again. Be safe. Jeff :usa:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard that dryer sheets (bounce or others) will also stop rodent activity and smell better than moth balls? You might consider putting a few under your hood :)

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Disconnect battery and put on a Battery tender. These are not all the same, it is important not to use a trickle charger, these will fry the battery (sulfate).

2. Oil change and filter

3. Cooling system flush and fresh coolant (at the correct portions)
4. Tires to max inflation (see side wall of tire)

5. Top off all fluids (trans, windshield washer, rear, brake fluid, Clutch fluid,)

6. Fill Gas tank as full as possible, and add fuel stabilizer (Ok to go a little heavy) Remember, gas tanks rust out on the inside top of the tank from condensation building up on the inside. If there is fuel all the way to the top, there is no room for moisture to collect.

7. Vacuum and detail the interior. Make sure there is no French fry's under the seat or anything that would draw rodents/insects. pick up some desiccant packets (these are the little packets that keep things dry). Baking soda boxes are a good idea as well.

8. Wash, clay bar, polish and wax the outside. This includes the chrome and brightwork.

9. Clean the engine bay. Not a bad idea to put some rat/mouse poison under the hood. Mice like to build nests in engine bays and chew wires.

10. Put mouse traps on the floor around the car.

OP
OP
D

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hopefully I can find a battery tender this weekend, all I have is a trick charger from my motorcycle.

And thank you Jeff, I still have your cell phone number. Your wife might be going to the same place I'm heading out to, there are a bunch of us heading to the same place it seems like. My group leaves on the 17th, and then another group is leaving a bit after I believe.