Press may not be nice to the 08 viper

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i found a guy on a srt8 message board who had driven the 08 viper with an editor friend so i asked him what he thought and

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I loved it. It made my GCSRT8 seem puny and totally inadequate.

But I found it a difficult car to drive; all that hp and torque translated into tons of wheelspin, no matter how much I babied the throttle...I'm sure you'd do much better since you already have a Viper. I pretty much had to make sure i had two open lanes in front of me at launch b/c the end just slipped and slided no matter what. But oh that exhaust note...beautiful!

One other thing: the car absolutely must be driven at 100mph or more to feel like you're 'driving' the thing...not until you hit 100mph does the car really come to life...kinda hard to do around these parts!

My friend (the editor) was less impressed with the Viper...he thought it was a lot of dough ($89K for the VIN we drove) for a lot of wheelspin.

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran into a couple of writers today from C&D magazine at my new place of employment. I asked how their tests went on the '08 Viper and they said it's the fastest car they've tested. They didn't elaborate on that but I want to see the article next month.

There will be another Viper announcement this weekend at Pebble Beach. You folks WILL be interested.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran into a couple of writers today from C&D magazine at my new place of employment. I asked how their tests went on the '08 Viper and they said it's the fastest car they've tested. They didn't elaborate on that but I want to see the article next month.

If that turns out to be accurate, it would be pretty amazing given that C & D has tested the new Ferrari 599 as low as 3.3 or 3.2 to sixty. Then again, they've tested the Veyron at 2.8 sec to 60 so I am guessing there's a bit of exaggeration there. Still, I can't wait for the review.

/Rich

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I gave a rats ass what the mags said about my 98. I gave a rats ass what the mags said about my 05. I will give a rats ass what the mags will say about my 08.....:D

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i found a guy on a srt8 message board who had driven the 08 viper with an editor friend so i asked him what he thought and

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I loved it. It made my GCSRT8 seem puny and totally inadequate.

But I found it a difficult car to drive; all that hp and torque translated into tons of wheelspin, no matter how much I babied the throttle...I'm sure you'd do much better since you already have a Viper. I pretty much had to make sure i had two open lanes in front of me at launch b/c the end just slipped and slided no matter what. But oh that exhaust note...beautiful!

One other thing: the car absolutely must be driven at 100mph or more to feel like you're 'driving' the thing...not until you hit 100mph does the car really come to life...kinda hard to do around these parts!

My friend (the editor) was less impressed with the Viper...he thought it was a lot of dough ($89K for the VIN we drove) for a lot of wheelspin.

AM I THE ONLY ONE LMFAO :D

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wanted

Thats just the car for you - LOTS OF WHEEL SPIN.

Your entrance to the KEENE Dodge (Viper Tech day in Maryland) was amazing.

Cliff

Last edited:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran into a couple of writers today from C&D magazine at my new place of employment. I asked how their tests went on the '08 Viper and they said it's the fastest car they've tested. quote]

I guess that this could also mean that the Viper was the fastest car that those particular C & D staffers have ever tested. So, if they are junior staff and the fastest thing they have previously tested was a Kia Rio, then it would be a lot less impressive if you talked to some of the more senior staff such as Csaba Csere (editor) or Larry Webster who have tested some of the faster hardware.

/Rich

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unlike a Porsche or Corvette with traction and stability control, you can not simply get in the Viper and expect to push the car hard or to its limits. The car rquires some seat time to get comfortable with the power, traction and handling characteristics.

I went from a 911 to the Viper and the Viper made the 911 seem like a Camry in comparison.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Okay, so the rumor from C & D has me intrigued, as aren't they the ones doing the track times at VIR? If so, and I don't have my mags all mixed up ( which at my age is quite likely ) , maybe they are referring to the fastest lap time ever? That would be super cool, but the problem we all have now is none of the auto enthusiast printed matter is out, and so we are in the world of constant guessing. My gut reaction from many of the rumors out there, is that these might be the best ever reports out on the Snake. I know there isn't anybody talking, no one will give you a definitive answer, but these new thoughts from someone who supposedly knows guys at C&D sure sounds promising!!:headbang:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish that Dodge would prep the car like Chevy did, hire a world class race drive like Chevy did, and then prepare for months like Chevy did and go do some laps at the "Ring" to **** Z06 owners once and for all. I'm so sick of seeing that pathetic time posted by the Viper that was run there.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish that Dodge would prep the car like Chevy did, hire a world class race drive like Chevy did, and then prepare for months like Chevy did and go do some laps at the "Ring" to **** Z06 owners once and for all. I'm so sick of seeing that pathetic time posted by the Viper that was run there.

At least Dodge won't be using bad glue for the roof like Chevy did. :D

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so the rumor from C & D has me intrigued, as aren't they the ones doing the track times at VIR? If so, and I don't have my mags all mixed up ( which at my age is quite likely ) , maybe they are referring to the fastest lap time ever? That would be super cool, but the problem we all have now is none of the auto enthusiast printed matter is out, and so we are in the world of constant guessing. My gut reaction from many of the rumors out there, is that these might be the best ever reports out on the Snake. I know there isn't anybody talking, no one will give you a definitive answer, but these new thoughts from someone who supposedly knows guys at C&D sure sounds promising!!:headbang:

Bill -- you are correct; C&D calls it their "lightning lap" and does the testing at VIR.

/Rich

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We all know that the viper is going to leave the ZOzit sucking viper fumes.

The fangs on the new snake are long and have much poison in them. The vette will feel this bite and run, run like the dog it is with it's tail tucked between it's legs. But alas, it will not get far, because the venom will stop it's heart. Then Death will come reap what is left.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised that there's so much uncontrollable wheel spin with PS2's. I presume it's more about an inexperienced Viper driver more accustomed to slamming the go pedal in a typical TQ car.

It's rather funny that they make a major issue of ZO6's HP at or above the level of the GEN 3 Viper, but when we've got an extra 100 HP....now it's all about wheel spin? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
W

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was hoping to have a thread where the z06 wasn't even mentionned... i really don't care bout the z06 and wish people would stop bringing that car up...In fact i wish people would be hit with a 7 day site suspension just for mentionning that car

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran into a couple of writers today from C&D magazine at my new place of employment. I asked how their tests went on the '08 Viper and they said it's the fastest car they've tested. quote]

I guess that this could also mean that the Viper was the fastest car that those particular C & D staffers have ever tested. So, if they are junior staff and the fastest thing they have previously tested was a Kia Rio, then it would be a lot less impressive if you talked to some of the more senior staff such as Csaba Csere (editor) or Larry Webster who have tested some of the faster hardware.

/Rich

Those were the two writers.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was hoping to have a thread where the z06 wasn't even mentionned... i really don't care bout the z06 and wish people would stop bringing that car up...In fact i wish people would be hit with a 7 day site suspension just for mentionning that car
Sorry WB'r. If you prefer, I'll simply refer to GM in the future. ;) Actually, when your dealing with Auto mags, you're dealing more with car manufacturers and their marketing/advertising power rather than car models. Regardless, you really shouldn't be SO threatened by a Z0.... oops...hehe... by GM that the mention of their premier model would cause to you such grief. We're talking about the 2 predominant American Sportscars and competition is what it's all about. So much so that I wonder whether we'd ever see a 600 HP Gen 4 (3.5?) without GM.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry WB'r. If you prefer, I'll simply refer to GM in the future. ;) Actually, when your dealing with Auto mags, you're dealing more with car manufacturers and their marketing/advertising power rather than car models. Regardless, you really shouldn't be SO threatened by a Z0.... oops...hehe... by GM that the mention of their premier model would cause to you such grief. We're talking about the 2 predominant American Sportscars and competition is what it's all about. So much so that I wonder whether we'd ever see a 600 HP Gen 4 (3.5?) without GM.

That is so very true, Scott.....if we didn't have that edge of competition with the Z0----oops, GM....we very well may not have the 600hp Viper or any other Vipers made thereafter. We NEED that competition, and it's a very healthy one...lots of Viper owners also have ummmm....GM cars....as well as Vipers/Ferraris/Lambos/high end vehicles.
Scott is also right about the magazines, they will put the vehicles in their magazines that will SELL THE MAGAZINE---competition aside from that.....side-by-side road tests will sell.
and, we're waiting on the '08 'REAL' testings (0-60, 1/4mile, handling, etc...). Just my .02, for what that is worth !!! :smirk: :eater: ~juli~

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those were the two writers.

Dyno Dave --

Wow, was one of them a balding fellow with glasses and a beard (Csere) and the other a younger, taller guy (6' to 6 2') with dark hair (Webster)? If so, then for Csere and Webster to make the statement that the 08 is the "fastest car we have tested" would be pretty incredible.

Only time (hopefully soon) will tell.

/Rich

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dyno Dave --

Wow, was one of them a balding fellow with glasses and a beard (Csere) and the other a younger, taller guy (6' to 6 2') with dark hair (Webster)? If so, then for Csere and Webster to make the statement that the 08 is the "fastest car we have tested" would be pretty incredible.

Only time (hopefully soon) will tell.

/Rich

If they are talking about VIR "Lightning Lap" times, it would not be incredible, it would be expected. The 2006 Viper was just a whisker behind. Add 100hp, a better dif, and better tires and I would be very surprised if it is not faster than the new Z06 around VIR.

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be cool if the viper came with active handling. Sounds like it might be a great option to be able to turn on and off at will.

Awesome new car thats exciting to see come to the buing public.....

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It would be cool if the viper came with active handling. Sounds like it might be a great option to be able to turn on and off at will.

Awesome new car thats exciting to see come to the buing public.....

Jb where are you from? I used to talk to a guy in NJ that had a disabled child. Nicest guy on the planet.....
Although he did lose a few points because he drove a windbreaker Vette.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery