Price announced on SRT-10

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by singlemd4u:
When the price of the new Viper starts hitting 84K plus sales tax one has to look around at other sports cars. The competition may not be as fast but probably has better amenities, better fit and finish and better status. When the Viper was in the low to mid 70's in price it fit into a nice price category. The vette below it and porsche ferrari nsx gt40( maybe) above it.I was intending to keep my 97 gts and the srt but thats alot of money to keep ******* in a depreciating commodity.Especially with the economy the way it is.Plus Dodge never offers any financing on the Viper either. GM is offering .9% on the corvette. Thats my 2 cents I'm just very dissappointed with the huge price increase.
PS I don't believe other models took such a jump after a redesign. 2003 SL500, 1997corvette, BMW 745 come to mind.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry I can't resist. If you're longing for better ammenities and a better status in a car sell your primative Viper now. I dunno are the Jonses' in your neighborhod getting something better than your Viper? That's the beauty of choice you have it! But compared to the porsche turbo, GT2 and 360 modena, the viper is a deal. More performance, lower price. Doesn't that make sense? IF you're buying a car for status...oh god

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At $83K MSRP for the SRT, the GT-40 looks more and more attractive (assuming Ford holds true to its promise of MSRP &lt;$100K). We are talking big bucks here at nearly 100 large, and if you can afford $83K for the SRT, you can afford $100K for the GT-40....

Sorry but with the economy in the toilet (maybe the rest of the country is in good shape, but here in SoCal, Boeing is laying people off left and right), raising the price of the Viper by 10% seems unreasonable.

I find myself wondering more and more who Dodge thinks is going to be rushing out to buy the SRT. At this price, forget about the Vette crowd. We're in 911 price territory here, and very few people who want the Porsche name and prestige will be swayed by a big motored front-engine American car with few of the refinements of a Porsche.

If Dodge really wanted this car to sell like gangbusters, $70K MSRP would've been the place to be. Oh, well! Perhaps I should start taking bids on my cert....

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the SRT-10's performance should be close to 3.8 to 60 and 11.6 in the 1/4 mile, which is right in the ballpark of the GT2 and Murcielago.

It is an all new car this year, and a full convertible.

The SRT-10 will still cheaper than the ACR is now, and have everything improved (from a performance standpoint).

The upcoming GT44 will most likely hit the streets at well over $120K, with dealer gouging having the street prices between $160 and $200K for the first few years. The BMW Z8 and Ferrari 360 Spyder are good examples in this regard.

Lower prices would certainly make it more competitive with the Z06 out there, but the upcoming NSX is likely to also come out well over $100K, along with the AMG SL55.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom,

I am with you - I am disappointed in the MSRP of ~ $84,000. After tax, I'm into this car for just about $90,000. That's a WHOLE lot of money to pay for a Dodge - no matter HOW good it is.

I'll probably take the car anyways, but depending on what the market looks like, I would definitely consider selling it after the first year and moving up to a Ferrari 360.

I feel that the car has been made cheaper (the hood, production time, parts costs, quantity raised per year), but not all that much extra went into the car. Why no HID headlights on a $84k car? Why no more performance than it's gotten? I think for $84k, it should have more than +50hp and 35lb-ft considering the cost savings DC is realizing on the car.

singlemd4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CRAIG, i didn't say I was buying the car for status. I said cars in that price range have more status than Dodge. I think VENOM LOVER stated it better than I in his previous reply.

singlemd4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few more points I'd like to make and again its just my opinion. I think we'd be better served to show what we feel about the huge price increase then all the negative threads about the design. The design is set basically but the price can be altered if enough negative press wakes them up at Dodge. Big price increase killed the Corvette ZR1. It was a great motor but GM over estimated what people would pay for a high performance chevy. The Z06 was much better priced.Once they come out with that 84K, the coupe if there ever is one will be higher still and so on and so on.I own a 2001 corvette convert and its a great car. Its hard to believe the 2003 viper is worth 33K more.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by singlemd4u:
CRAIG, i didn't say I was buying the car for status. I said cars in that price range have more status than Dodge. I think VENOM LOVER stated it better than I in his previous reply.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, then I read it wrong. Sorry!

Craig

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakester,
Let's see....Unfortunately, 0-60 of 3.8 sec is also right in the range of the Z06 (3.9 sec). Before you say that the Chevy claim of 3.9 sec for the '02 Z06 is bogus, let me mention that I ran a 4.1 sec 0-60 in my bone stock '01 Z06 with 1500 mi on the odometer under far-from-ideal conditions (3/4 tank of gas, etc.). And actually, I'm seeing numbers more like 3.6 sec for the Murcielago in the car mags. I bet the reviews will all say 3.9-4.0 sec for the SRT.

And as far as an 11.6 1/4 mile time for the SRT:
(1) Many current GTS owners have come very close to that number (e.g., our very own Mike Brunton at 11.7 sec on stock Michelins with no headers, motor mods, etc.), so 11.6 doesn't sound like much of an improvement to me.
(2) I would never be able to run the 1/4 mile in a stock SRT to begin with, since it doesn't have a rollbar. Somebody posted that NHRA has already put out a notice warning track officials not to let SRT's pass tech without a rollbar. If they really realize it's an 11-sec car straight from the factory, then having a factory hardtop won't matter, unless you have an IHRA track close by, which I don't. So now we're looking at how many additional thousands of dollars for a rollbar, on top of the hit in resale value once you install it....
(3) I'll bet a nickel (I'm going way out on a limb here
wink.gif
) that the car mags, who currently say the GTS runs the 1/4 in 12.3-12.5 sec (e.g., from C&D and R&T respectively), will not obtain an 11.6 run in the SRT. R&T (notoriously slow 1/4 mile numbers, I grant you) says the Murcielago runs the 1/4 in 12.0 at 121 mph. So, my bet is R&T says 12.0 for the SRT, and MT and C&D say 11.9 for the SRT. In fact, while we're at it, these mags claimed 11.6 sec for the McLaren F1. You think they'll say 11.6 for the SRT? Dream on. (Let me know where to mail the nickel if I'm proven wrong!
smile.gif
) Anyway, sure the SRT will be "close" to cars like the Murcielago in performance, but then the 2002 Z06 is "close" to the Viper in performance as well, and we all know the cost vs. performance curve goes exponential, so you pay through the nose for every additional tenth of 0-60 or 1/4 mile ET from an exotic car. And face it, the SRT is no Lamborghini in any way (styling, exoticness, name recognition, etc.), no matter how much we all wish it would be.

None of this sounds very attractive to me. In fact, a set of performance heads for my GTS sounds better and better every day.

Mike B,
Geeez, what happened to your attitude, guy? You used to be the SRT poster child...now look! No more free SRT for you!
wink.gif

singlemd4u,
Roger that! Chevy learned its lesson with ZR-1 pricing. Ford learned its lesson with the 2000 Cobra-R. Now those guys have much more reasonably priced Z06s and '03 Cobras, respectively.

*Munch* *Munch* *Munch* (the sound of someone eating Dodge's lunch!)

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom Lover,

Well you know, you are right. The mainstream car mag numbers will most likely run 0-60 in 3.9, and 12.0@118 for the SRT, with Popular Mechanics being the only main magazine running mid 11s.

And although the Z06 is generally about a half second slower in the 1/4 mile than the best times in a SRT-10, the published times will relate more to the magazine's advertiser revenues than anything else.

And the road test comparisons will likely pit the SRT-10 against the '02 Z06 and the '03 Cobra, showing the SRT-10 up last due to it's $85K price just like they did with the $90k ACR testing.
Would it comparitively test better at $70K. Yes.
Will DC drop the price for that reason? No.

Then they will have a separate test with the GT2 and Murcielago against the AMG SL55, V12 Aston Martin and Ferrari 360, with the GT2 winning.

As far as what it means in real life, who knows.

After a certain power threshold, the performance gains become smaller relative to the performance gains because it gets harder to put more power down to the road to make big performance differences. So it's doubtful that the $250K++ Porsche Carrera GT, Mercedes SLR, and GT44 will be that much faster than the SRT-10, despite their power/weight advantages.

I'd certainly like the SRT-10 to be cheaper, but if I had $85K-100K to buy a 2002 GTS/ACR, I could easily justify spending about the same for a faster, lighter, better braking, full convertible new Gen III version, even if I had to toss in some more for the hardtop.

Whether or not you see a value of the car relative to the price depends on if you like the car, and if you have the money to buy it.

The market, plus supply and demand will determine if people will pay more money for the new model, and I think that the SRT-10's success will be determined more by the general economy, and magazine reviews than by their introductory price strategy.

-Dean.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your selective accounting is sad!

Added to the SRT/10:

-Re-engineered side exhaust (asked for by the customer)
-Short throw shifter
-larger brakes, calipers & rotors
-500 watt/cd changer
-retractable top
-more horsepower
-more torque
-more usable air force (brakes and down-force)
-a higher performance driving seat (2)
-more cubes
-more liters

And one HUGE factor that no one has mentioned, your savings in insurance. With the reduced coat in replacement parts, you will start to see the claim amounts on Viper reduce over the next five years. As that occurs, it will reflect on the repair cost of the Viper, which will be dramatically reduced and ultimately come back to all of us in premium!

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

Let's not bury the SRT on speculations! It's a whole new machine. Let's not forget what we are going to get for our money: 30% plus more structural rigidity, more HP and torque, interior refinements, better shifting, a top that actually works easily, a more affordable to fix front end, etc. It's all GOOD stuff for the driver! The price increase will be a bargain for the performance and improvements.

Concerning the Lambo..., beautiful, but you can have it. I would sell it even if it was given to me for free. If it came with it's own Flat Bed trailer and personal mechanic, it might be worth owning. Break down in that baby and you are in a world of hurt outside of an affluent big city. They look great, but far too much maintenance, parts expense, etc in my opinion.

For all the improvements, (appearance is your own opinion) we should be pleasantly surprised. Let's give it a chance. With the kind of disposable income needed to buy a current new Viper, I believe people in this income range won't be too fazed by the extra 10K. The payments (if you have them) wouldn't be that much higher.

Come on folks, give the SRT a chance. This is like speculating if an unborn child is going to win the Nobel prize based on genetics. I bet PVO has done their research, and they KNOW we Viper owners are expecting ALOT from these radical changes.

Jim

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve, you beat me to it! you must have posted about a minute before me. Jeez, I've gotta go practice my typing skills now.

Hey, at least we are thinking the same way on this price squabbling. The focus should be on what we are getting for this increase. It is hard to deny that we will be getting alot for the money.

Jim

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, Venom...

I'm just posting some musings - not that I no longer like the SRT
smile.gif
. I love the car, and will still be taking mine. However I like to think I look at it in a very unbiased way. To me, it's just a car.

I realize they are putting new 'stuff' in the car, but let's face it - the old Viper had "broken" brakes from day one, and I don't feel they are justified in charging alot more just to fix something that was wrong from day one. The added power is great, but I just hope it really helps propel the car down the track. I have heard it will, but we shall see. As for the other stuff like a more rigid chassis, bigger wheels, a real convertible top... well, I honestly don't think it's reasonable to justify a price increase based on these. The C5 has all of these things too yet costs $35k less - so it's easy to offer up other data points that suggest the SRT doesn't need to cost $84k.

I guess I am taking a wait and see position. I will definitely take the car and I'm sure I will like it. I am just voicing the personal opinion that this car shouldn't cost this much. The original Vipers were in the $50k range... it's skyrocketed to $84k... that's a BIG jump even if it was over 10 years. Compare an '03 C5 cost to a '92 C4 cost and you'll see what I mean. We heard alot of people saying one of the plans was to make the Viper MORE cost effective, yet it is going UP in sticker price about 10%??? $90k is probably the very very very upper limit of what I would even consider spending on a Dodge ($84k + sales tax = &gt;$89.5k) so if the market is really solid on SRT's next year, I may sell it if I can get &gt;MSRP for it and buy a Ferrari instead. I hope DC surprises us with a sticker price identical to the current RT/10. As for all the 'extra' stuff we're getting... well, they saved $14,000 per unit in the hood - can't they use THAT money to give us the other enhancements?

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim and Steve,

Your unwavering support of the SRT is admirable. I'm just saying that a price increase of this size is disappointing to me. If the price increase seems reasonable to you, then good for you! But don't expect everyone to share your enthusiasm for such a price increase.

From my perspective, first I was disappointed by the styling, but I was willing to forgive that based on price and performance potential. Now I'm disappointed by the price, and I'm bracing myself for some relatively unimpressive numbers in the magazines. 3.9 sec 0-60 and 11.9 sec 1/4 mile will not be impressive, but I grant you that's just speculation. And don't get me wrong, on an absolute scale, that's a very fast car. It's just questionable whether a relatively small performance improvement outweighs the mediocre styling and big price increase.

And Steve, I don't know if your "selective accounting" comment was targeted at me, but my point was more a high-level one. I wasn't trying to count up parts and cubic inches to determine whether a price increase was merited for the SRT. Frankly, I think the price increase has more to do with a mandate from the "German owners" as opposed to any detailed accounting of what has changed/improved from Gen II to Gen III. So, my high-level point is this: with the SRT costing just under $100K out the door, I must give serious consideration to alternatives such as the GT-40 or doing $10K worth of motor mods to my car. Shoot, my GTS is already dynoing 20 hp above the 500 bhp claim for the SRT with just headers and exhaust. And knowing that insurance rates may or may not come down in 5 years does little to change my mind.

I really want to like the SRT. I really want to give it a chance, lackluster styling notwithstanding. But now we hear of a disappointingly large price increase. The only thing that can save this car now, as far as my interest in owning one, is some stellar numbers in the car mags, like 3.7 sec 0-60 and 11.5-11.6 quarter mile times. But I bet that won't be happening either. What can I tell you? I'm glad you are still looking forward to owning an SRT.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are we really getting for our extra money? Being on the manufacturing side of the business, you get to clearly understand that the price of parts from the vendors do not necessarily change substantially from one 'model year' component to the next. Example, the hood is mentioned as a big cost savings. Yes, because it was redesigned to be cheaper. I would bet that the cost of the old clam-shell hood from the supplier would stun everyone. (too bad we'll never know) Just about every other component will cost the same or less on the 2003 due in large part to DC's restructuring plan. A brake booster? A Stereo? A stiffer structure? Yes, they all cost millions to develop, but the piece price doesn't. The original Vipers had these costs figured in too. Does it have to 'make money' for DC? NO! This is, and has always been, a halo car. Does Chevy make money on the Monte Carol? There are some fanatix that will not drive anything else because of the Nascar effect. Dodge has all the 2003's sold out and probably doesn't think 2004 will be a problem. I think at $84,000 it may become one.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike - Not that it makes the SRT pricing seem more reasonable, but I believe we were told that the SRT has got HID headlights, unless that is another of the long list of hinted at items now not making an appearance on the production car.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRTRICK,

Thanks for the info... Steve, can you confirm this? I thought the SRT had conventional headlights. I really hope it has HID lights - for that price, it really should.

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read in one of the car magazine that the only way to get a car with brighter headlights was to get a race car,and they were not talking about stock cars.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, you should know NEVER ASK FERGUSON A TECHNICAL QUESTION! There is some new bulb(s) in the headlights that make it extremely bright! I do not remember the exact name, but they will stick out.

And if I may, I just want to go on record as saying that what I like about the SRT/10 is that it is a NEW version of Viper that will offer something different! As the GTS is vastly different, and the later RT/10 is very different form the original rattle machine, so to will the SRT/10 be different. Making something that only attracts us HAS BEEN DONE, so making something that brings in others makes sense (at least in my eyes). I know I do not hold the GTS or the SRT/10 in the same esteem I do the early Viper for many reasons, and I have that right, as you also do. besides, do you think they want to see all of us sell our current cars that we hold so dear to our heart?

As for the "profit" issue, that isn't a "German" initiative, but rather a PVO one. As mentioned previously on this site, PVO need to make vehicles that return some profit, in order to keep creating vehicles like any future coupe renditions.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Steve - I am very intrigued by what sort of lights are on the SRT!

I completely see where you're coming from Steve... I understand the "whole new car" thing and I see the SRT in the same way. I guess my hangup is that the SRT will always be associated with the Dodge name, and when we're being completely honest with ourselves, who really wants to pay that much for a Dodge?

I was driving down the road the other day with my brother, and we passed one of the new Lexus convertibles (looks like the Audi TT, I forget it's name). I commented on how it was a cool looking car, and he said he felt the price was way high at around mid 70's. I found myself feeling that this car occupied a market that not too many people were interested in. At $70k, it's a bit less than a 911 Cabrio, but not much less. They try to make it compete with the Mercedes SL, but I don't know anyone who would put the Lexus on the same level as the Mercedes. I feel the same about the SRT. I don't think they will attract all that many buyers from the high-end market, because at $84k, you're pretty close to cars like the NSX, Esprit, and barely used Ferraris like 355's and maybe even 360's. I also think they are distancing themselves a bit far from the lower end - because jumping from a $50k Z06 to an $85k Viper is a huge jump - especially considering the Z can be driven daily but most would not drive a Viper daily - AND considering most Vipers drop like rocks in value when the miles cross 10k. At $70k, they're getting a LOT of the Vette guys, and even guys buying midlife crisis mobiles who would otherwise be getting Lincoln LS's and Caddy's and BMW M5's. But at $10k over even these other choices, it's a real tough call.

If BMW makes good on their claim and comes out with a V10 in the next generation M5... it will be bye bye SRT, I'm afraid
smile.gif

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 03 in order and to be honest,I'm not very happy with the price increase.
That I can afford it,do not change the fact that you have to look at what you get,(or what you can get) for your money.

I'm sure that DC manufacturing cost are lower on it but for marketing or Corporate reasons, they decided to price it higher.

beside the hood,there is now only 1 throttle body and if,as planned the engine also go in a truck,volume should lower cost.

My guess is that pricing is not really related to cost (to a point of course)but more to marketing.

There is no doubt that the 03 is a "softer" car than the GTS/RT and consequently the targeted buyers are also different.
Beside the peoples that ALWAYS need to have the latest toys,most of the current owners are "car nuts/gearheads" that could not care less if the Viper don't have a 6 CD changer or a A/C that can blend hot and cold or a cupholder,as long that the car has performance and look.
Same type of peoples that bought the Cobra in the 60.

The problem is that there is a limited #'s of gearheads that can afford an $70+K car,and most of them already got their Viper.
So DC had to look at a different type of customers,and they want/need a different type of car.

I believe that the customers than DC are targeting are the ones that buy an Jaguar XKR($90K),a Porsche convertible(as opposed to the GT2),Lexus 430,etc.
As for the horsepower/torque increase,it also show a marketing decision,should have been pretty simple to get 600hp from 500ci but those customers doesn't need it nor will they ask for it..

For me the(almost) perfect 03 will have been a car with at least 600hp,a factory roll-bar and a lot less weight.

My opinion only.

Luc.00GTS

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike and Luc;

You guys have some good points concerning price and who the "target market" is.

Consider this; if it is hard to consider paying 90K "for a Dodge", why shouldn't Dodge be able to sell an amazing machine like the Viper for that price? I have had numerous Porsches, and love them all; however, they are NOT American, and the maintenance and service can be stupidly expensive.

This SRT is supposed to be greatly improved (beauty is in the eye..) and the improvements cost LOTS of development dollars. Don't you think that Dodge knows that the SRT had better go like stink because the Vipers rep is on the line? Our Vipers are an amazing performance bargain considering the RESALE value we have all enjoyed versus the Vette.

Maybe somebody on the site knows what the depreciation is on a c-6 Vette, two years old with 10K miles on the Odometer. Both Vipers I have owned new have only cost me about 5K a year to enjoy. I am not sure, but I think the price increase on the SRT is fair for what we get. In my opinion, the Vette's depreciation makes it a 10K more expensive car over a two or three year period based on DEPRECIATION alone.

Please, do correct me if the Vette holds better value than I have guessed at. I am only speculating because I know how my Viper's have held value. Vipers are STILL going to be more rare even with stepped up production; don't you think?

Concerning price on the SRT, I don't know if anyone has taken this angle before focusing on retained value. We will all have to wait and see what happens to values on our present Vipers. If 1,500 certs were used by current owners only, I bet at least 50% will be trading in... maybe 75% of us will trade. The SRT on the other hand, should HOLD it's value for a year or two because they will be hard to get! It could get ugly at trade in time.

Concerning the "gear-head vs. Jag/Mercedes, etc. market", I think that in my opinion, I am expecting that "old" Cobra feel to still be there with the SRT, and MORE! It is as Mike, Luc, and others have said there "are other cars to consider". The Viper is going to have the amenities that they offer, but with more gutteral performance, don't you think? I don't expect the Viper will ever lose focus of it's "pure" purpose.

Let's hope the performance will be staggering in final form, and kick-Asp in value as before. If the 10K increase seems steep, if for no other reason, we should remember that WE were given first chance to buy this SRT for 10K less than the person who doesn't have a legitimate cert!

I think we were given a 10K DISCOUNT because we were allowed to buy the SRT at a rock-bottom price.

Food for thought. Consider those benefits. What do you think?

Jim

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwwiii:

I think we were given a 10K DISCOUNT because we were allowed to buy the SRT at a rock-bottom price.

Food for thought. Consider those benefits. What do you think?

Jim
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can try playing Jeddi mind tricks on me, but it still sounds like I'm going to be shelling out nearly $100K to buy this car. What do I think? I think that sounds like a lot of money, certainly more than I hoped for (whether or not it represents a 10K discount from some ficticious level), and I will think seriously about selling my SRT and buying a GT-40.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Venom Lover on 07-01-2002 at 05:07 PM</font>

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Didn't see this verified anywhere, so if it is redundant, my apologies. We have our build sheets ( no names are listed ) that came in today, and they show an MSRP of 83,795 as originally listed by Jeff. It sure appears that Miami Jeff had the correct info, as Snakes with listed Vins and Vons are all showing this MSRP. As Tony Estes mentioned , the price looks close, and it appears , now , that he was right on the button.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
Thanks for the info Steve - I am very intrigued by what sort of lights are on the SRT!

I completely see where you're coming from Steve... I understand the "whole new car" thing and I see the SRT in the same way. I guess my hangup is that the SRT will always be associated with the Dodge name, and when we're being completely honest with ourselves, who really wants to pay that much for a Dodge?

I was driving down the road the other day with my brother, and we passed one of the new Lexus convertibles (looks like the Audi TT, I forget it's name). I commented on how it was a cool looking car, and he said he felt the price was way high at around mid 70's. I found myself feeling that this car occupied a market that not too many people were interested in. At $70k, it's a bit less than a 911 Cabrio, but not much less. They try to make it compete with the Mercedes SL, but I don't know anyone who would put the Lexus on the same level as the Mercedes. I feel the same about the SRT. I don't think they will attract all that many buyers from the high-end market, because at $84k, you're pretty close to cars like the NSX, Esprit, and barely used Ferraris like 355's and maybe even 360's. I also think they are distancing themselves a bit far from the lower end - because jumping from a $50k Z06 to an $85k Viper is a huge jump - especially considering the Z can be driven daily but most would not drive a Viper daily - AND considering most Vipers drop like rocks in value when the miles cross 10k. At $70k, they're getting a LOT of the Vette guys, and even guys buying midlife crisis mobiles who would otherwise be getting Lincoln LS's and Caddy's and BMW M5's. But at $10k over even these other choices, it's a real tough call.

If BMW makes good on their claim and comes out with a V10 in the next generation M5... it will be bye bye SRT, I'm afraid
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brun iweighaTON,
Isnt this what I said when I was on my soap box spouting about how DC's marketing team didnt deliver a value proposition here? That they cant compete in this market? The new car isnt extreme enough, yet isnt luxurious enough for thier new market....can you say..I TOLD YOU SO!!! Welcome to the light

singlemd4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Road and Track had a computer mock up of the 2004 vette, looks good. supposed to have more horses too. I bet it doesn't go for 10K over 2003 vette. How much more do we have to shell out over the $83,795 for the hardtop? another $3000 ? plus sales tax. also how are we getting a 10k discount from dodge? did I miss something? Dealer mark up is 7300. Most of us are probably paying 500-2000 over invoice. thats a 6800 to 5300 discount. I hope I'm wrong. clue me into the 10k discount.it might sway me into keeping this car.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, I am surprised that you didn't add that you like your headlights to be surrounded by a bra, you know so the paint doesn't chip!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SmokinV10:
Brun iweighaTON,
Isnt this what I said when I was on my soap box spouting about how DC's marketing team didnt deliver a value proposition here? That they cant compete in this market? The new car isnt extreme enough, yet isnt luxurious enough for thier new market....can you say..I TOLD YOU SO!!! Welcome to the light
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't ****** in your ******* JUST yet Smokin, it's not like I have jumped on the 'SmokinV10 Junior *********** Stratamaro Bandwagon' just yet... I am just disappointed in the MSRP of the car if it's up around $84k. Of course, the mitigating factor is I am getting the car for a whole lot less than MSRP. I am pretty confident my out-the-door price will end up being about $3k-4k more than I paid for my '98 GTS - which to me is a pretty good deal.

I don't know if I would pay MSRP for the car however. Then again, I would never have paid MSRP for an ACR either. It's not an SRT thing - it's a "how high does the price on a non Ferrari go before I just splurge and get the Ferrari?". Since I'm not the poster child for Mopar, if the price is nipping at the heels of $90k out the door, that's awful close to FerrariLand for me not to jump ship.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony/Steve:
Is VCA following up on low (no) interest financing from DC for members for the SRT-10? That might help make the price increase easier to accept.