Prices on open trailers?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to acquire a trailer for my viper. Going to be towing it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The question is regarding price on trailers. What do these things run? How cheap and how expensive do the open trailers get?

And on another note, where do y'all store your open trailers? I don't have a huge property right now, so I'm not quite sure where I would leave it... Has anyone ever stored a trailer in a garage before (with the car on top of it?)

Happy holidays to all, and thanks in advance for the help!

JD

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are three listed in the Classifieds right now. Prices range from $1400 to $1800.

Around the "Arklatex" area new trailers, naked, run around $1600 (diamond plate deck, one axle with brakes).
If you add Viper niceties like hinged or removable fender (to allow to to open the door), a front rock guard, extended ramps, aluminum wheels.... the price climb to around $2800. I am buying one used made for a Viper with all of these features for around $1600.

If you were in CA, this one sounds pretty nice, not sure if it has a rock guard:

02 Aztex open center trailer, built specifically for my Viper, 16' x 8 1/2' with and 83" diameter between the fenders. Diamond plate, dovetailed, extra long 6' ramps, tilt fender, 7,500 lb jack, electric brakes, only 5 months old. Will include 4 "R" hooks and 4 10,000 lb. ratchet tie down straps. Ron wasserman Location: n. hollywood, ca. Telephone: 818-765-8720

Gotta admit, this stainless trailer from H and H is "out there":

The never needs painting trailer!

Reaction score
Featherlites are a little more pricey - about $6-7K new. They are all aluminum though, so there is less weight to pull for a Grand Cherokee.

2002TRAILER1.jpg

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just go to the yellow pages, most metro areas will have several trailer-only shops. These shops can do minor modifications to make the trailer more viper friendly. The National Dragster magazine will also have a bunch for sale.

The problem with most trailers is the clearance on the viper front fascia and the front area of the rocker/sill panel. Even the advertised "low clearance" trailers will have a problem. Another problem could be the fenders on the trailer, they should be low enough to allow the viper's doors to be opened.

At a minimum you want a brake controller on your car integrated with the trailer brakes. You also want a dead-man pin on the hitch that will brake the trailer if it separates from the car.

I had one built this year and had a tire rack added. I had them paint the trailer viper red. The total with all this was about $3,000. I also added an electric winch. . Even on the best trailer you will eventually damage the car if you drive on. I also added a diamond plate tool box that I purchased from Summit.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe , call Country Boy Trailers in *******, you want a Carolina hauler, tilt bed , with flat floor, I paid $2500 for mine & sold it for the same 5 years later. The Viper drives right on with no ramps & with the flat floor , anyone can do it. the thing about Country Boys, is that the service is awesome!. They take care of you like family. My big 24 foot Gold rush hit a *** hole & broke an axle coming home from Savannah last week & those guys replaced the axle, did a routine maint on brakes & bearings, put on a new wiring harness & tongue jack for 3 hours of labor =$120!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The enclosed trailer puts you into a different class of tow vehicle. Most SUV's and small trucks are limited to 6500 lbs. The viper, trailer and race junk puts you right there. If you already have a ram or mega SUV you are OK.

The permanent or temporary storage is also complicated, however, an open trailer and viper can be stored in any standard garage. If the additional problems can be overcome, enclosed sure is nice on rainy days.