Private Equity Viper

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF, and that's a big IF, Chrysler was to phase out the Viper as suggested, and if the Viper is profitable as suggested, then why not a small private equity transaction to take Viper and the plant off of Chryslers hand. Sign a distribution agreement (Sprinter must have something like this) and service agreement.

Throw in your pennies guys :D

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just thinking the same thing. The buyer of the plant could contract out to other auto makers for specialty cars.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>and if the Viper is profitable as suggested<<<

1500-2000 cars a year and profitable?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe VCA could buy the Conner Ave plant, and we could make our own Vipers.

Seriously, I would be surprised if the Viper is not made for many years to come. Chrysler learns much from these assembly methods, and gets a huge amount of technical performance information that they can trickle down into their other lines.

As an example I would expect to see the Vipers patented variable cam setup available in other Chrysler vehicles in the future after Vipers get some real world experience with them.

Vipers being used in high performance mode (track use) also gives a reality check on what items need to be beefed up for street cars too.

Viper has excellent high visability. It's limited production does not put a significant burden on corporate CAFE requirements.

In addition, I would not be surprised to see some of the Cerebus executives wanting to get their hands on Vipers for their own personal cars.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition, I would not be surprised to see some of the Cerebus executives wanting to get their hands on Vipers for their own personal cars.

I concur.

These guys have money. Why not have some fun with. Hire Woodhouse and a track for the day. Show'em what they bought.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tommy Archer should call them up and say “ hey, you guys want to win Le Mans”?

How great would that be for Cerberus/Chrysler marketing?

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an '80 model Avanti, originally produced by Studebaker in '63-64. These cars were only sold in a volume of about 150 per year, and were made through 1991 or '92, using a corvette engine and GM tranny, etc. Had they been sold in higher volume they would have survivied. Now the new Avanti's are made in GA by converting Trans-ams to the new, modern Avanti. They are very nice looking, but don't match the performance of our Vipers. There probably won't be a cessation of Dodge's premiere car, but a well-heeled millionaire could buy them out, should they wish to stop production. There is much more demand for the Vipers than for the Avanti's, so it's a no-brainer that such a private venture would be hugely successful, provided a carmaker with knowledge bought out the tools and dyes, or whatever is needed to make these cars.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don´t forget, meeting national and international laws and regulations (safety, emissions, ...) is a HUGE burden for every car manufacturer nowadays.

Small volume cars will be soon out of the "race" (market) if the politicians do not change the laws/regulations and make exceptions for these "exotics".

Or, you get a car like the "Wiesmann" roadster or GT with most parts being from the BMW mass production cars. Only the design is different. Underneath it´s a BMW.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Conner Ave is only manufacturing. What about the SRT group? They do the R&D to make the Viper? How do you propose to buy them? Without them you will have a Gen IV that would be outdated in 5 years (sounds ridiculous to say 600hp will be outdated). The Viper is not just a machine, it's a vision.

It's not that straightforward. While it is tempting, there seem to be too many hurdles. Churning out 1500-2000 Vipers a year is a huge task.

Last edited:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saleen could do it. Make limit production Vipers at $200,000+ with 1000+hp.

But who of us could ever afford one again?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be interesting if the Viper was no longer produced. Think about it, in 20 years their value might be so high that some companies start building replica Vipers, lol.

"Is that a real Viper or a kit car?" ;)

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tommy Archer should call them up and say “ hey, you guys want to win Le Mans”?

How great would that be for Cerberus/Chrysler marketing?

Agreed to the fullest and would definately buy a ticket to go see them! Man would it ever be great to be there yourself to see and take pictures of the winning Viper(s) crossing the finish line :D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Conner is currently only running at half capacity.... how about bringing back the Gen2 type body? Gen 2 will run all NA and NO nannytech, while the Gen3-4 type has every gizmo known to man. The Gen2 will keep the name Viper, the Gen3-4 will be the SRT-10 Garter snake. (hehe... couldn't help myself) :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4