Pro/Con Aluminum Flywheel for GTS

Slammed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2002 GTS, motor mods Intake and Exhaust and use the car for track time a some drag racing with street tires and wanted to get some opinions on going to an aluminum fly wheel or staying with the steel flywheel when I go to a new clutch, also any feedback on good clutch options would be appreciated.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aluminum will give you a really fast catch and power transfer. Since it is a lot lighter the transfer of power is faster. Down side is that it is light and can crack or worse.

Chromoly is stronger than aluminum and lighter than stock steel. JonB PartsRack plug insert here - that's where I got mine.

:usa:

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How bad is the low speed "bucking" on a lightweight flywheel? Thats the main con I've always heard and a big reason I've never got one.

It's not bad. The speed limit in my 'hood is 25. I get a little bucking at that speed in second at steady speed, but have learned to control it. No problems in any other situation.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've heard of the lightweight ones failing and leaving you lopped off at the ankle. I believe Got One relayed this story to me from Jon B or Tator...or I'm completely loony and made that up? Ryan, care to chime in?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I heard a story like that once too. The chromoly one is really strong and durable with little to no bucking at a slow speed. I cannot speak for aluminum other than what I have heard and read.

:usa:

OVERBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine bucks a little at low speeds in first or if I am lugging it in second. But this is mostly when the car is cold. As for "failing and leaving you lopped off at the ankle" I would like to say, not unless you are making some serious power and in that case you should have a blanket on it anyways. I'm at 766 to the wheels and have inspected mine several times and have had no cracks or signs of damage.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i saw the one at tators but the car was a lime green SRT with a S/C on it. I forget what the brand of flywheel was. it came right up thru the tunnel, took out the windshield and missed his foot by inches

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 17 lbs aluminum with Roe. Light bucking at 0-10mph, other than that no issues. I just rew initially few hundreds higher at first gear. remaining gears, no problem.
The motor rews MUCH faster, great advantage at curvy tracks. No advantage or worse at drag racing.
I have Roe+NxExpress and after 3 years no issues. Stock clutch, which I replaced at 42K, same time when the new flywheel went in.
I would do it again...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your rear braking will increase. The momentum of a heavy flywheel is now something the rear brakes do not have to help decelerate.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Fidenza flywheel put in my other car when I changed out the clutch.

When I get ready to get a new clutch in the Viper I will do the same in a heartbeat! It was SOOO much fun to drive omg.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine bucks a little at low speeds in first or if I am lugging it in second. But this is mostly when the car is cold. As for "failing and leaving you lopped off at the ankle" I would like to say, not unless you are making some serious power and in that case you should have a blanket on it anyways. I'm at 766 to the wheels and have inspected mine several times and have had no cracks or signs of damage.
Same for me.
My car came with the Fidanza on it, so I don't know what its like not to have the light flywheel. I can't imagine the car revving slower. I love giving a quick rev to 5k at people next to me :headbang:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same for me.
My car came with the Fidanza on it, so I don't know what its like not to have the light flywheel. I can't imagine the car revving slower. I love giving a quick rev to 5k at people next to me :headbang:

My new Fidanza still sits in the box awaiting time to get to it.

Yeah, it's almost embarrassing when people ask for a rev. I've mastered the 2K blip then 4-5K doubletap routine, but the Fidanza sounds like a dream in that department.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the lightweight flywheel on my old rebuilt motor with head and cam. Minor bucking at slow speeds sometimes but revs much quicker, down shifting is easy to rev match, accelration is better. May have to accelrate with a couple more hundred rpms but that's no big deal. A mod worth doing in my book if your changing your clutch which I was with a stock replacement.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you change out the clutch is a perfect time to also install an aluminum flywheel. I had one on my GTS track car and loved it. Much lighter than steel and revs very quickly.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My new Fidanza still sits in the box awaiting time to get to it.

Yeah, it's almost embarrassing when people ask for a rev. I've mastered the 2K blip then 4-5K doubletap routine, but the Fidanza sounds like a dream in that department.

Dave, just imagine doing that in gear!

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't change the clutch without the flywheel. I had an RPS in my GTS and loved it.
MANY MANY threads about his previously.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll notice the loss of flywheel inertia in stop and go traffic, but you learn to live with it. When you're on track, it will help your heel & toe downshifts a lot.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Parking-Lot Speeds is when you might encounter bucking, if any. The worst is G2 1996-98...... and those with aftermarket cams. If you have any bucking in Gen 1 or 3, it COULD simply be due to deteriorating spark plugs or wires. A lighter FW 'reveals' this whereas the heavy OE one conceals it.

....My new Fidanza still sits in the box awaiting time to get to it.......

Dave, it only helps you accellerate and decellerate when you INSTALL it.......and we RUSHED it out same day, X Months ago! Thanks

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the stock flywheel buck at all in low gears?

Nick

If flywheels have anything to do with bucking, which per this discussion it would appear they most certainly do, then yes. My car is a specimen of that, but not too bad. HF cats will help quite a bit with bucking. Or quit drinking Lone Star and trolling the shopping mall parking lots per the Texas Bucking Reduction Act of 2009.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll throw in my two cents, your best bet for your options = stock flywheel and clutch.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have aluminium Fidenza flywheels in the Viper and my modified Stealth TT. Stock clutch went into my car before I bought it (onto used flywheel surface?) and worked perfect. Burnt the stock clutch trying to bypass first gear at AutoX by starting in second (didn't work). Clutch still works excellent, except not much fishtailing into 3rd gear. So I ordered Titanium rear axles (to replace my 800hp Unitrax) and a cf clutch from JonB. Ordered new friction plate for Fidenza ($40) and will instal new clutch and frictionplate this winter. Back to 100+mph fishtails!. I've put 30,000miles on stock clutch and Fidenza and they still work OK. I've put over 60,000 miles on AEM cltch and Fidenza flywheel in Stealth TT with no problems. I like them. Great way to spend $400.

I do like the reality that I can bolt my new flywheel friction surface onto my flywheel instead of having to remove my flywheel and freight to town, get it machined and then freighted back so freight - $25 each way and I believe it's a $30 charge for flywheel grinding nowadays? Probably take a week and a half to get the job done that way. Buying the friction plate means that I can change out the friction plate in 15 minutes!

Ted

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tech Question......OK I'm also thinking of going down this route, but I have a question? If removing the stock flywheel these are normally balanced? If you replace the Flywheel with a lightweight one is there a correct position where it fits on the car? Or are the bolt holes fixed for one position only? Having never seen the end of the crankshaft is this something to be concerned about? Its that reading about low speed bucking, I'm wondering if flywheel positioning may be a factor?

Mark
:uk:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang