Project RT/10 Fuel Filler Door

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I'd show you the fuel filler door Ed Combs is fitting into my RT/10. It is just a slight bit large, about an 1/8 inch in diameter (RT is 5 7/8", while this door is 6"), but with a little custom work to the fender, it should drop right in. I've always felt that the RT/10 needed a Billet aluminum fuel filler door. Here is my shot at it:

fueldoor1.jpg
fueldoor2.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are going to laugh when I tell you what it is off..... the new limited edition Bullitt Mustang Package. You can order it from any Ford parts counter, it lists for around $100, but I'd bet you can get it for a lot less if you find a "Parts Rack" for Ford parts. I first saw this door (in a polished version) on the Lincoln Blackwood (?)show truck at the Detroit Auto show in January. When it popped up on the Bullitt, I said to myself, "Oh, now I see where those pickup truck fellows got that neat billet fuel door".

It should be a flush fit application on my car since I don't have a problem carving into the fender to make it fit. Ed likes doing custom fiberglass work, so he is looking forward to it.

There is another one out there that looks really good, and may be a better fit (from my rough measurements), the fuel filler door off the Audi TT, it runs close to $400, and would require a cable for it's remote release setup. I choose the Bullitt door so we did not need to deal with the release. If you are into security, the TT door may be good alternative.

Both the Bullitt and TT fuel filler doors are very high quality pieces and "generic" in their styling. I've been trying to talk George at MGW to make a billit fuel filler door for the RT/10 for years, he already makes a really nice one for Mustangs. I'm thinking He could easily modify it to give it a more "aircraft style" look and engrave a Viper on it, etc.... Everybody.... BUG GEORGE
smile.gif
MGW Fuel Door Link

You must be registered for see images

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good, but I'm not cutting into my fender. I have been waiting to see if someone would come up with one that is flush mount and fits into the existing spot. I'm looking for the quick, 5 minute remove my door and slap the new one in....

Later,
Andrew

Reaction score
Ahhh....... Over a thousand ways to "Skin the Kitty."

There's no end to mechanics. My personal Viper has a Little Mutt in it too
smile.gif
In fact, we all do. If the Viper fuel tank's good enough to have a Caravan fuel pump in it, certainly it suffices to have a rare breed Ford filler cap!

Good Luck with "Operation Hybrid"
Doug

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew2KRT10:
Looks good, but I'm not cutting into my fender. I have been waiting to see if someone would come up with one that is flush mount and fits into the existing spot. I'm looking for the quick, 5 minute remove my door and slap the new one in....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I here ya! Like I said.... call George at MGW and pester him a bit
smile.gif
I am certain there is a market for exactly what you are wanting..... heck, that's what I wanted!

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Operation Hybrid...." LOL

Actually, there are already a number of parts bin pieces from DC's other Detroit neighbors in the Viper, so I will just be adding one more
smile.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
WOODHOUSE DODGE has these in stock in the FORD ACCESSORIES department.........

PartsRack is working with 2 vendors on a licensed applique, an adhesive metal-look piece in chrome or aluminum look, that simply sticks flush to the fuel door, and LOOKS the part. Viper Shield Logo on the piece.

Also have the Snake EYE be transparent to the car color.

Will be showing them soon..........probably a $20 item !

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C5 Frank:
I put the same fuel door on my Mustang Cobra..... I liked it but everyone said it looked very ricey. I left it one for a while and recently took it off(5 min job). I tend to agree with them now. The car looks cleaner w/o it. Now a Viper would be a different story I'm sure. Just thought I would share that with you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I can see how they would say that, specially since this style fuel cap is often used on racing motorcycles. I've really did not like the look on the Mustang as well, primarily because it sticks out like a sore thumb, and in all honesty does not fit the cars styling well the way it is mounted on the very vertical surface of the fender.

The Viper says "racing style filler door" (at least to me) and since the door is on a more horizontal surface, it is more in fitting with this racing style. I think the color of the car and location can make a big difference in the look too. Since my car is being painted a light metallic pewter, the door will be similar in color to the paint and blend in, more than stick out.

That's what's fun to me about doing a project..... the excitement tied to seeing an idea work..... or not work
smile.gif

I did see a Viper at VOI.5 in Vegas where a fellow installed a modified (real) aircraft fuel filler, it was anodized black (on black Viper), it looked great.... so at least I've seen what it looks like finished. By the end of the year, you'll see the finished item on my car and be able to judge the final product then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang