Proper burping technique?

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I had recently fixed a coolant leak problem, purchased some new coolant and burped the car. I filled it up to the brim, let the car idle until the thermostat open, filled the radiator up again and let it run for a minute.

It seems that the car is still boiling over for some odd reason, overflow is spewing I think. Am I missing something here??

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you lift the front end of the car, radiator higher than the block?

Did you fill it from the heater core?

Do you have heat? No heat means air bubble.

I just replaced the rear engine block hoses on my Gen 1. Used a 4 post lift, left stands under the frame on the front, lowered the lift, got the radiator higher than the block, filled from the heater core leaving the radiator cap off. You should be able to hear the air pushing out as you fill through the heater core.

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1. I didn't jack the car up, so this may be my missing step. Yes my car has heat. Would air in the system cause a boilover?

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just took the car for a short drive. On the highway, it has absolutely 0 problems. When I get to a light, the needle creeps rather abruptly.

I burped only by filling via front radiator cap and on a flat surface on my '93. I'm guessing there is definitely air in the system. Also, I noticed some steam coming from the cap area even when the temp gauge is dead 12 o'clock. I'm guessing the overflow tank may be full? I actually can't seem to find the overflow tank, although it's quite dark right now.

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't fill the car flat and from the radiator. You will have an air bubble. The overflow bottle is in the front fascia. Passenger side wheel well, round rubber disc, take it out and use a flashlight to look in and you will see the bottle.

Don't drive the car until you fill the correct way. You are asking for disaster.

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the car for a short drive, nothing extreme or past 2k rpms. It ran nice and cool the entire time, and I was only on the road for 15-20 minutes.

I'm guessing it's the overflow tank that is causing the steam, thoughts?

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you filled it from the radiator there is no way you are going to get that air bubble out by "driving it out". PM'd you.

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advice Randall!!

I just checked the overflow and it's dry! :( So looks like I'll be jacking the car up in the morning and filling the car up from the heater core area. Will fill up the overflow half way too. Hopefully this solves my problems.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The search feature does work on this site. Try it.

And I think jonb had a good post on *** to do it. You can also call chuck Tator for solid info.

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I didn't think burping the car would have been this complicated lol.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advice Randall!!

I just checked the overflow and it's dry! So looks like I'll be jacking the car up in the morning and filling the car up from the heater core area. Will fill up the overflow half way too. Hopefully this solves my problems.

THE YEAR MATTERS, and has never mattered so much as in 1992-1993 Cooling. The answers we give 92-93 owners have little relevance to the other years. And there is MORE to it than the hidden overflow bottle. If you want my free help, find my posts in the vendor area and call me?

Vendors are no longer allowed to put our contact info in our forum posts... Or someone ELSE can post my contact info if so inclined....Im staying 100% compliant with the new rules.

JonB - { the *** }

OP
OP
C

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'm the lucky chap that gets to have a '93!!!

I'll give you a call in the morning Jon, or shoot you a PM if you don't mind. I don't have access to a phone since I'm working late tonight.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have generally burped mine by squeezing the radiator hose from the driver side. You can see the bubbles come out from the open cap and the level drop as the air comes out. If you do this and the fluid is all the way up to the cap, it will cause it to overflow.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have generally burped mine by squeezing the radiator hose from the driver side. You can see the bubbles come out from the open cap and the level drop as the air comes out. If you do this and the fluid is all the way up to the cap, it will cause it to overflow.

You have a 1994 and a 96....... not the same layout in 92-93