Proportioning valves brake squeal.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rear brakes were brand new when I installed them with Hawk Pads and new rotors. They have always squealed like crazy! Would my proportioning valve have anything to do with that? I went to a brake shop and they said everything was installed properly. They gave me two small bottles of BG Stop Squeal. I know certain pads just squeal due to certain materials.

I'd like to try adjusting the valve, unless that has nothing to do with it before I try the BG stuff. Any suggestions? Thanks

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the Hawk pads shed more brake dust than the OEM ones. When I did my BBK, I used the OEM pads all round and rarely hear a squeal at all . When I used Hawk pads on my Mustang it never squealed though with ABS, but had considerable brake dust on the wheels. My friend changed pads on his Noble and it squeals like a **** with the new ceramic pads.

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it only coming from the rear and not the front? I have Hawk pads on all 4 corners. I was thinking maybe my PV is set wrong and it's making the back ones squeal?

Thanks for the input!

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jance ,did you check the aftermarket e-brake pad clearence ? It's a tight clearence setup , and mine does squeal occasionally after releasing the e-brake and get going. Lasts only seconds though.

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will check it but I'm not sure if that would be it since I don't use it to stop? Anytime I come to stop at a stop sign or light, they start squealing (reguardless of how much pressure I am using). I have noticed that my e-brake doesn't exactly "hold" the car from rolling on the slightest incline. I'll have to check to see if I need to adjust it.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you see a fair amount of brake dust accumulating on the rear wheels compared to the fronts? The e-brake should be able to hold the car on a slope. Mine holds the car regardless which way it faces the slope.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definatly not the port valve-get a differant set of type pad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_