Pulled in garage...smoke coming from under hood!!!

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went for a short blast in the Viper tonight, as I pulled into the garage I smelled something burning, smelled like plastic. When I came to a stop in the garage I saw smoke coming from under the hood....YIKES!!! (that's not what I said but I can't print what I really did say) So I fly out of the car and raise the hood in record time. Seems my Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Cap was not tight to begin with and had came off and landed on my header. Luckily no serious amount of power steering fluid came out or I could of had bigger problems. There were no flames just a power steering reservoir cap smoking on the header. I got it off as quickly as possible but there is still melted cap on my header, I'm sure the car will smell great for the next few trips till that crap burns off. I tried to check as many things as possible since my Arrow Rebuild but I never checked the P/S Cap. Other than that everything has been super since the Arrow Rebuild. Looks like I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow for a new cap...and possibly some locktight!
laugh.gif

OP
OP
S

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a few emails from fellow members here in the last few minutes. Seems these caps are a problem. No biggie, I'll figure out a way to safety wire the cap on if need be. Thanks to those who emailed!!!!

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The first thing they do when you have your car teched at viper days is to check the power steering cap. Because of the changes in temperature cold hot cold hot they tend to come loose. Its recommended that everytime you lift your hood just tighten the cap.

Brad

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What ever happened to Marc and the Cajunfried Viper? I don't remember hearing from either of them in forever and two days. I haven't even seen the CFV on the salvage boards either.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

Sorry to hear about your cap. After all you've been thru, my heart skipped a few beats. I read your post and thought crap now what! I'm just glad that was all that it was. Steve

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
I tighten mine with a pipe wrench.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Chuck said!!!

OP
OP
S

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went and bought a new cap today, would of been $37 and change, I got it for $23 with my Mopar discount. Expensive piece of plastic! Needless to say, checking the P/S cap will be routine from now on.

Mopar Steve and everyone else, thanks for your posts!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960