Pulling the front bumper cover.

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull the bumper cover and repaint some rock chips and scraps underneath. Going to paint stripes on it too when done. Just wondering if anyone has any tricks to getting it off and putting it back on. Is it hard to do? Need to line things up a little better also.
Thanks
Dave

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had mine off MANY times doing the Roe facia kit. Lots of fit tests as we cut 'er up...

Tips - Get the special tool to remove the black headed plastic tree fasteners. Little plastic split end pry bars. I bought the OTC set...

http://www.toolsource.com/trim-fastener-molding-removal-p-95451.html

There are 4 of these tree fasteners inside the front facia, and 7 more on top. 3 were a little tricky. One on the pass side I removed the hood closed switch for better access. Then on both sides there are one each right in front of the headlights on top. Had to get them from the sides after the wheel wells were pulled loose.

Speaking of the wheel wells, once those are undone, you'll need to undo the wiring to the fog and marker lights. When putting the facia back on, tape those edges well. They seemed to bang around some when re-fitting things.

Get the screws on the bottom and off she comes.

Watch for plastic shims on the fasteners. Mine had 'em in 2 places. Easy to watch for, just remember where they go.

While you have the facia off good time to clean and refill the radiator bottle. Also take an air hose to the radiator. It's all the junk BEHIND it that you can not see. I spent 1 hour cleaning there.

Good luck.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah... Those plastic tree fasteners were a pain to get back in to the rebar. I tried new ones and they would not go in. Different tip design and they wouldn't give. Ended up using used ones. They were even hard to get in, and appear to be holding fine.

Those things are supposed to be "one use."

I'll probably start modifying new ones. Shave the ribs off one side for easier insertion. Not a lot of room to work on some shoving them in.

Also, I left the 2 out in front of the headlights. It looked like the facia went on first, then the headlights. Did not want to pull the headlights for 2 out of 20 fasteners.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not reuse the plastic push pins/trees/whatever? Take a pair of used ones to your local body shop supplier (look in the yellow pages) and get a box of 10/20/50. It works out cheaper in the long run.

The 2 pins near the headlight can be pushed in just fine. They don't require headlight removal.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info Dave
I have mine off right now being painted
My bumper did not have a single plastic tree on it. The previous owner had it repainted 3 times so they must have just got lost over the years.
I have a n idea what they should look like - plastic pins like in interior
I'll be using small bolts and nuts to replace the pins. They will be stronger, easier to remove, and cheaper.

Reaction score
Problem with bolts is the plastic needs to be able to expand and contract so bolting it may cause more trouble down the line.

OP
OP
Z

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys
You are awesome. What a lot of info. Thanks a bunch, We are pulling it now. Let you know how it goes.
Dave

OP
OP
Z

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All done. Has to be some kind of record. My son-in-law had it off and the headlights adjusted in less than an hour. He even puled off the figerglass bumper part. Everything needed re-alignment. Once he gets focused and into the job, there's no stopping him. Good kid. He even did it with all hand tools. Now if we can get it all back on right.:) The very bottom of the bumper cover was worse than I thought.:( Looked like the previous owner had a problem of driving over curbs. No gouges but a lot of scratches. The bottom will be a complete re-paint but the top part will only need a little blend work. Nothing hard, thank heavens. Thanks again for the advice. Came in handy. Now I need to get a box of the clips. Does anyone have a number for them? If not, I'll go to paint store and have them order them.
Thanks again
Dave P.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info Dave
I have mine off right now being painted
My bumper did not have a single plastic tree on it. The previous owner had it repainted 3 times so they must have just got lost over the years.
I have a n idea what they should look like - plastic pins like in interior
I'll be using small bolts and nuts to replace the pins. They will be stronger, easier to remove, and cheaper.

Missing 11 FASTENERS?!? Surprised the facia even will stay on on!

Careful with screws. Fiberglass will tear the crap out of them. Screws will eventually mess up the holes. I would get the tree rivets.

Contrary to a previous reply of never reusing them, as hard as it was to get the old one's back in, it explains why I could not get the new one's in. They are a bit$h.

Here's a link to a really good price at McMaster Carr:

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Z

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the clip link. Now I'll measure them and that should help.:)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All done. Has to be some kind of record. My son-in-law had it off and the headlights adjusted in less than an hour. He even puled off the figerglass bumper part. Everything needed re-alignment. Once he gets focused and into the job, there's no stopping him. Good kid. He even did it with all hand tools. Now if we can get it all back on right.:) The very bottom of the bumper cover was worse than I thought.:( Looked like the previous owner had a problem of driving over curbs. No gouges but a lot of scratches. The bottom will be a complete re-paint but the top part will only need a little blend work. Nothing hard, thank heavens. Thanks again for the advice. Came in handy. Now I need to get a box of the clips. Does anyone have a number for them? If not, I'll go to paint store and have them order them.
Thanks again
Dave P.
No need to pull the rebar - fiberglass part - unless you just like working on panel alignment!

Heck, my OEM manual even says to start with pulling the HOOD!

OP
OP
Z

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I posting at the same time you are. Sorry to look like I'm not reading the posts. You guys are so good to me, you have all my guestions anwsered before I can ask them.:rolaugh:
Dave P.

OP
OP
Z

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We didn't even have to remove the hood. Actually we left it on to line up the headlights better. The whole front looked like it was just thrown on there. Checked for any damage but didn't find anything. Can't believe they were able to sell it that way, but everything looked factory. Maybe just drooped after 10 years, like me.:rolaugh:
Thanks again
Dave P.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem with bolts is the plastic needs to be able to expand and contract so bolting it may cause more trouble down the line.
Um, every urethane bumper I have ever taken off was mostly held on by bolts so I think it will be OK
In fact this bumper is mostly held on by bolts:rolleyes:
I think using nylon washers will be a good thing for preventing the bolts from gouging into the soft urethane on the painted surfaces

And Dave,
yes I was missing 11 fasteners but some were replaced with nuts and bolts already so the bumper stayed on, just not very well:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine