Purchase Decision: Stock vs Modified?

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the mods, even if it's just headers and K&N's. You'll find yourself wanting to do some changes most likely after a few months of ownership anyway.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If 450HP is not enuf, and you are "equipped" to handle a 550+ HP monstor, sometimes less streetable than stock, "Tuner Cars" can be had for a fraction of the cost of the mods.

A wise man here told me that a rule of thumb is "used Vipers yield normal prices, plus 10%-15% of the value of the mods."

ie....a $20K in mods might only add $2-3K to used retail price! A cheap way to get a lot of mods, IF-IF-IF the car was cared for and you can bear the risks associated..........

If 450-480HP lites your fire, and if you value a warranty, and have 60K to spend, buy the newest, lowest-mile used OEM Viper you can find, with only must-have bolt-ons like cat-back, tubes/filters, and some common cosmetic {MGW)upgrades.

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB is absolutely correct. I bought my 97 GTS w/ about $22K in parts(Brembos, SVSi headers, ECU, Koni ACR shocks..., no labor costs) for just a few $K over going prices(though admittedly an extra good steal
smile.gif
). I then spent less than $2K to change a few things to make it more streetable. Finally, I got a deal on used Fikse wheels and Pilots and am incredibly happy.

One thing that helps is to NOT buy a complete name-brand tuner car which carries a much higher premium. Getting something put together by a competent shop which just critical parts(Headers, cat-back, cats, intake, brakes..) saves a ton of money and time. Venoms, Snakes, Serpents.... are all awesome cars (I think many are hardly driven too...), but you pay the price.

Todd

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte