Putting a new clutch and flywheel in ... you want to help out?

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BBG, I got a PM about a relatively new clutch and mating flywheel that you guys have developed. Haven't seen much on it so here's your chance. Gen II, NA GTS looking for a good match for 'spirited' street driving. What do you guys have under covers that we should all know about?

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BBG, I got a PM about a relatively new clutch and mating flywheel that you guys have developed. Haven't seen much on it so here's your chance. Gen II, NA GTS looking for a good match for 'spirited' street driving. What do you guys have under covers that we should all know about?

Bird325,

A new clutch system was overdue and badly needed for the original Viper's, so yes we've developed the OE replacement "Heritage Series" single disc clutch and flywheel kits for the Generation 1-2-3 Viper's. Not undercover, just doing real world testing with top notch results!

The Heritage Series comes in three stages (1- full organic fiber , 2- metallic / organic fiber combination, 3- full metallic) clutch disc friction materials depending on your application and driving style. Reduced diameter pressure plate and clutch disc with a 30 percent "increase" in the friction material contact patch and a billet aluminum flywheel that is unmatched in quality and strength! Our intention was to develope a clutch kit that was not only a light weight high torque capacity upgrade but a kit the brings the Gen 1-2 Viper's to modern day driving levels with an easy pedal modulation, smooth release and engagement while maintaining enough rotating mass to roll off (drive off) without with having to modulate the gas pedal. We also engineered these kits to be exact factory replacements that work perfectly with stock hydraulics (truly plug & play).. All this and a Stump Puller to Boot!!

We're about to release our new Evolution-R Series (G5 Viper track twin disc, ALMS GTS-R G5 spec full race triple disc and Mopar spec'd performance kits) and must say I'm just as proud of our Heritage Series not only because it compliments and completes our product line, but because it's truly a well engineered clutch system that takes the original Viper's to the next level in performance and refinement.

With several Gen 2 installs our clients are very satisfied and tell me their Viper's are an all new driving experience with it's easy smooth pedal feel. I recieved a phone call from Bernie Katz of Tomball Dodge / ViperExchange who wanted a modern day driving feel for his Gen 2 Viper and a clutch kit that could handle the high torque output of his 510 ci stroker.. after a few brief discussions, Bernie ordered and had his lead Viper tech install our stage 2 (metallic / organic fiber) kit with great results!

" The clutch was extremely smooth no pressure on insertion and release which is exactly what I was trying to accomplish. THANKS TODDY!

Bernie Katz
ViperExchange
Tomball Dodge
www.vipereXchange.com "

Here's a few photos of our Heritage Series stage 1 - stage 2. Please feel free to call me directly with any questions and / or if you just feel like running one! By the way Bird, your probably a stage 2 candidate and I most definetly want to help out..:D Thanks for your interest!

BBG_H_3315.JPG

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy Gomez - President
1337 North Market Blvd. Ste 100
Sacramento, Ca. 95834
(916) 505-9026
[email protected]

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone following this, I talked with Toddy today specifically about my car and driving style. I'm going to go with his setup which is designed to work together with the flywheel and clutch. I haven't seen too many providers in my time that have such a PASSION for their product and their results! I'll TOFTT if that's where it ends up, but I don't think that's going to be the case. PST in Cresson (Joe) will be doing the surgery and I'm sure from our conversation that Toddy will be available should anything come up. Guys, if you haven't talked with BBG when you were needing any product they offer, you've missed out on a chance to feel, over the phone, what we all feel when we crank up our beasts!

Bottom line, I'm going to follow my GUT and give Toddy and BBG the opportunity to give me a package that will become the example of what delivering power to the road is all about.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toddy called me today (always impresses me when vendors take time to do this) and he explained the benefits and construction of the Stage 1 kit. I thought the price for the Stage 1 kit was reasonable. Now I have to work it into the entertainment budget. :)

Bird, I'll be very interested in your thoughts about this kit (which one, Stage 1 or 2?) that you're getting from Toddy. Please post some pictures of your install. Thanks and hopefully all goes well with your clutch install!

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toddy is top notch! My snake blew the slave cylinder on the clutch and was DOA in my driveway. Toddy arranged for the flatbed to come pick it up at about 8pm at night. The driver was very skilled at loading my baby onto the rollback. He called Toddy enroute to update him that the car would be late getting to Toddys shop due to traffic. Toddy met the driver at his shop and personally supervised the unloading of my car and tucked it away safe inside. I got a phonecall about 10pm letting me know my car was safe and sound. I went with the stage 2 metallic/organic clutch and aluminum flywheel setup. If you haven't met Toddy in person or spoke to him before I can tell you he is one meticulous individual and no attention to detail is overlooked. When Toddy called me to let me know my car was ready for pickup I was not able to get out to his shop due to scheduling conflicts, Toddy brought my car to my house later that night with us returning to his shop in the Viper. We talked at great length about my car and what my future plans might be for mods, there was no pressure from Toddy to go one way or another with my vision for my car. Everything was discussed from turbo's to superchargers and the potential post maintenance for each install. I will definately be returning to Toddys in the future for more upgrades on my snake as time and mad money become available. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk by phone or have any questions for me. Take care. Jeff

Reaction score
Just to add to the mix, we have sold some of Toddy's products over the past couple of years (even to over seas customers where customer service is long distance, so important to get it right the first time) and he is a great person to deal with. We talk on the phone weekly (or more lol) just to shoot the S*** and bounce ideas. Toddy is a meticulous person and it shows with his desire for knowledge and the pursuit of perfection, I'm sure that is the reason Mopar and the Dodge boys give him the thumbs up on his projects for the ACRX and others to come.

5 *'s for BBG

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the Stage II for my Gen II from Toddy today and he's already at work getting the package put together. We talked on the phone a number of times and I even added him to my contacts, so I know when to leave a meeting to answer the phone! So far, the experience has been TOP NOTCH and has made me feel very comfortable with paying a few extra dollars for the quality of his parts.

Honestly, if you're needing a clutch or thinking about one for your beast, give him a call and hear about the history of BBG and I think you'll go that route after spending some time on the phone with him. I'll be posting up results next month after Joe tears it down and gets the new parts in. Don't think I can catch pictures, but I'll see if PST is willing to snag a few while the install is going on.

Stonep185

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike I'll be talking to you at our club meetings in the near future about your clutch. I think mine is close to needing replacing and would like your input.

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up my Gen II last Sunday and I am REALLY happy with the new BBG stage 2 clutch/flywheel setup. When I first got in the car and pushed on the pedal to start it, it felt like the hydraulics were pumping into dead air! No, that wasn't a problem ... that's the way the clutch feels now! I can't even begin to explain the massive difference in the pedal effort. Still breaking in the new surfaces, so I can't report on the feel of the clutch itself when driving aggressively, but all indications are that I'm going to LOVE it.

Joe worked his typical magic on the install and cleaned up the whole underside of the car to make sure we would be able to spot any unexpected leaks in the coming months. I don't expect any as Joe does a great job every time he touches my car.

As for upcoming meetings in N. Texas, I'd love for you Gen II guys to jump in and feel the difference that this clutch setup makes. Hopefully, I'll have it broken in well by the next meeting if this weather will quit raining. If you have any doubts about the quality of build, give Toddy a call ... I'm pretty sure he'll have you ordering a Stage II before you're off the phone.:2tu:

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear the pedal feel is very light. I'll be curious how you like the feel of the clutch engagement after you get some miles on this kit.

Stonep185

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike
I will definitely want to feel the new set up and have you compare it to mine. Mine also feels light but I'm not sure about the feeling I get when it engages. Feels like its engages too high... I don't get any slipping but would like to get a second opinion from members and a speed shop.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far so good on mine. Easy effort.

Engagement is naturally different over the older worn stock clutch that I had. i.e. it engages in a different location relative to clutch pedal location. I think that is to be expected and is not a problem.

So far I like what I have experienced.

I would think that if someone found other (including stock) clutches to heavy the Heritage Clutches will be a big improvement.

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had one of Toddy's clutches in my Gen 4 now for 3k miles. It is probably my favorite mod to date.

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Guys. Put some more miles on it yesterday doing my best to slip into each gear as Toddy recommended in order to 'bed' the clutch correctly. Still loving the feel and positive engagement. It's a little hard to 'slip' it on downshifts, but I'm working on it. I don't think I'm going to be able to STAND 1K miles of break-in. Planning on going out today and spending an hour or so on the service road just shifting up and then shifting down... over and over again. It feels like everything is burned in, but I figure getting used to it like this will help prepare me for more aggressive driving that is sure to come.

I'm still quite impressed with the lighter feel on th pedal. It isn't just a LITTLE lighter ... it's a whole world of difference. It even has me considering what I'll need to do to smooth out the gear engagement itself. Anybody know if an after-market shifter will do it or am I going to have to go to different gears/transmission? It's not a problem as it is, I'm just on a MISSION now. :D

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ I'm about 600 miles into my 1000 mile break in and it is REALLY hard to not wind it out on the onramp to the interstate, can't wait for that 1000 mile mark! I'm sure it is fine as is right now but I'm lucky to have Toddy's shop 20 miles from my house so I'm holding off until it's time. You are correct about the pedal feel, WORLDS apart from what I had before, had to relearn shifting the car all over again. I would spend the weekend driving my Viper around with the old clutch and then hop into the RX-7 on Monday and about put the clutch pedal through the floor! No more! Both clutches feel comparable now! Love Toddy's work! Just my .02 Jeff

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mutts02GTS what you are describing is very similar in comparison to my daughters 2006 RX-8 and the new Stage II Heritage clutch that was just installed.

Bird325, Regarding the gear engagement, I am running a Hurst shifter, just installed. Had an old B&M. The Hurst has very positive engagement but I must qualify I just had the Tranny rebuilt with upgraded shifter forks and syncros.

So far so good with 100 miles on the Heritage clutch & flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch slave cylinder, Hurst Shifter, Tranny and new driveshaft.