PVD Chrome Finish. Anyone heard of it??

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was looking around for rims and found this company in Detroit that does this. It seems pretty good from what i've been reading up on. The company sells rims and re finishes them. Polish, machine, paint, powder coat, chrome and this PVD. I guess it is some kind of spray on, kinda like powder coating, but looks like chrome. I guess it is supper durable too. Comes with a 3 year warranty.
Got me thinking about re finishing my gas cap.
So does anyone know anything about this process??

Not sure if this is aloud due to it not being a site vendor, but if you look up, Detroit wheel & tire. You will find it.
Sorry if that's not aloud.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would call it in between powdercoat and chrome. It would be perfect to nearly match the finish of Gen 3 and 4 factory wheels like the 10,6,& 5 spoke. I have seen it in the motorcycle industry for about 3 years now. PM me

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done a few. Not as blingy as chrome, but many advantages over chrome.

Here's one (of 4) I did a few years back.
You must be registered for see images

Feel free to PM me for more info or a price quote.
Chip (Rim Repair and Restoration)

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't waste your money. My mom had bought wheels for her 300m that were pvd. They are already flaking and corroding. Took about 4 months for this to happen.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cal chrome did mine in black chrome, they are far better than chrome cause they will withstand weather and salt better than chrome, they look awsome,have had mine for 3 years and still new looking

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've done a few. Not as blingy as chrome, but many advantages over chrome.

Here's one (of 4) I did a few years back.
You must be registered for see images

Feel free to PM me for more info or a price quote.
Chip (Rim Repair and Restoration)

That doesn't look that bad. I was thinking of getting my gas cap done and if it turned out really good, maybe my rims next. The previous owner didn't take car of them the way i would have.
What's something like this run in price for a gas cap or per rim?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM sent to you

I would also like to know the price range per rim? I'm actually getting my wheels rechromed this year; but if they start pealing, pitting, etc., again I would def consider trying this PVD Chrome finish if it's long lasting.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no need to pm, its not a secret, cal chrome was 900.00 for my h-spokes to black chrome

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats a pretty fair price. Shipping how ever some where far gets pricey. I'll have to see how good of work this place in Detroit does. Maybe a project for next winter. And the black chrome is pretty sick looking. Wonder what it would look like against my red.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no need to pm, its not a secret, cal chrome was 900.00 for my h-spokes to black chrome

Being that he's not a site vendor, it probably isn't in his best interest to post prices and other info publicly.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you'd rather get chrome, I can do those very competitively too! :D $225-$300 ea range (depending on size and your location) shipping included.

ejholt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Detroit Tire & Wheel do it. They use the same company that Jeep, Dodge, SRT, etc. use to PVD Black Chrome their wheels. Mt 2014 Jeep GC SRT came from the factory with PVD Black Chrome and it looks incredible. My wheels on my Ram SRT-10 are in Detroit at the moment being done in PVD Black Chrome. Cost was $600 for all 4 wheels. I'm also having several pieces PVD Black Chrome as well, but you need to find a small shop to do it, as Cal Chrome & Detroit Tire & Wheel won't do it, as they only do wheels. There are a couple of places out there that do small individual pieces (i.e. fuel door caps, door handles, etc.).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456