Quaife??? why

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I am wondering why a lot of guys are really hyped on this rear-end? I understand it is a great diff. and for track purposes would be better, but for everyday wheel hop? isn't the stock diff. a limited slip? Whenever I can do a burnout (that is when the wheels aren't hopping off the car) it does light up both tires. Guys are recommending switching to the Quaife to cure wheel hop. What does the diff have to do with the stability of the rear end? Wouldn't the problem be the spring rate/ shock set-up? or tranns mount? pinion angle?

I really would like to fix the problem but I don't really want to swap the rear-end if I don't have too.

thanks for any help

Reaction score
The best thing the Quaife will do is NOT just lock up for traction, this is what will increase axle *****. The tires with the Quaife can have differing loads from side to side and still keep the car going straight. The rear of the Viper has always had a tendency to step out when the tires break loose because the diff is locking. With the Quaife the diff is never "locked" 50/50 and it will adjust based on how much each tire can work.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also changed to the lightweight Copperhead wheels and PS2 tires. I have adjusted my cold tire pressures to 34 front and 30 rear. This, along with a perfect 4 wheel thrust alignment, has eliminated all of my wheel hop. IMHO I see no need to spend the big money necessary for the quaife if you do not intend to race your car. I have 25,000 miles on my stock 2003 rear diff with zero failures.

G

grcforce327

Joseph Dell got an awesome deal going on the Quaife that's hard to pass up!:2tu:

OP
OP
J

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also changed to the lightweight Copperhead wheels and PS2 tires. I have adjusted my cold tire pressures to 34 front and 30 rear. This, along with a perfect 4 wheel thrust alignment, has eliminated all of my wheel hop. IMHO I see no need to spend the big money necessary for the quaife if you do not intend to race your car. I have 25,000 miles on my stock 2003 rear diff with zero failures.

I will try this as soon as it warms up. The hop is was so bad I could hardly accelerate in the upper rpm's in first gear......I really want to fix the problem

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a lot of guys do the quaife at the same time they do a gear change. Makes sense to do both at the same time. Just helps eliminate a possible weak spot down the road.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a lot of guys do the quaife at the same time they do a gear change. Makes sense to do both at the same time. Just helps eliminate a possible weak spot down the road.

I would have to agree with that one. If you are going to change the gears you might as well go all the way.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
On this discussion THE YEAR MATTERS, GREATLY !!!

The comments above for G3 apply, but not necessarily G1,2,4...........

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On this discussion THE YEAR MATTERS, GREATLY !!!

The comments above for G3 apply, but not necessarily G1,2,4...........

Jon,

I know that you explained this to me before, but I forgot, sorry. Why does the G3 suffer from this wheel hop issue versus the G2 and G1? Is it because the LSD was viscous based? If so, then I can understand the issues since the last car I had did have a VLSD and that had a tendency to snap oversteer as the LSD kicked in...and it was hard to tell when it was going to kick in since it was based on the fuild temperatures. Are the G1, G2, and G4 more of a Torsen type LSD versus a clutch type?

Sorry, I need to be re-educated on this one.

Thanks

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did the same thing as Racer Robbie. Changed to PS2's and had a 4 wheel alignment, and also have the Sidewinder Wheels......no wheel hop since. Also, I have 3:55's, and S/C and love the combination!

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was worth the money for me; I can enjoy the car more without worrying about losing control. Don't underestimate the car's tendency to swing out and do a 180 or a 360 when it loses traction! With stock tires and differential, you have to be especially careful when the tires are not fully warm. Even with the Quaiffe, I won't jump on it with cold tires. I still have the runflats.

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has a Quaife in it, and with the stock wheels and tires, if you give it enough gas in a low gear to get wheelspin, the wheel will start to hop. I think it has more to do with the weight of the wheel/tire vs. the abilities of the rear shocks to dampen those oscillations.

Switching to lighter wheels and tires fixed it for me. I don't expect the problem to get any better or worse when I switch back to the stock diff.

OP
OP
J

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have HRE comp 21 series rim now but not sure on the weight difference. I would think they are lighter and my hop will be less...

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 04 has the sidewinder wheels and PS2 tires. Much nicer ride and no hop. With the sidewinder rims and run flats I hopped down the track and it didn't settle till mid range 3rd gear. I have yet to run the track with the PS2 but the track opens up again in march.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS